closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Change the date or not?

Change the date or not?

Just a fun little post to see what the proportion of OCD people are on the forum

As I’m not supposed to wear a watch at work, I often rotate my small collection around and I only have 1 watch winder.

As I was adjusting the time just now, I also instinctively changed the date.

On reflection i wondered why I bothered and then whether it would cause less wear to the watch if I didn’t (probably another topic entirely)

So to change the date or not? So should it be it’s the weekend, who cares or absolutely should adjust the date accordingly?

Shye

PS gratuitous wrist shot of what I was adjusting
    Last edited by shyewei; 11th May 2019 at 11:37.

I rotate 7 watches and 2 have day/date function and the other 2, date function.
    And it is real challenge each time as I wear reading glasses and sometimes on a bad day, it's really hard to see the window even close up.
    Here is one example.

So yes, I do adjust the day, date and time.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes, I'm in the OCD camp. I have to set the time, date and day (if there is one) quite correctly when I put on an auto watch that has run down, even if I'm likely to only wear it for a few hours! There again, I'm quite OCD in that I really don't like watches to have run down in the first place!

Master
    Yes, I always correct the date on a watch when setting it, regardless of how long I would be wearing it for. I also set the time exactly to the second even on the watches that I know aren’t very accurate and would be out soon. Don’t know why I do that ...

Master
    You mean there are people out there who wouldn't?!

Craftsman
    If my watch has a date function, then I’ll set the date when putting it on, I don’t like if it’s on the wrong date. However, since picking this up, I’ve discovered I’m not missing the date window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My OCD is that bad i have these for a grab and go...one atomic the other GPS.

Grand Master
    Usually I like to set the date, but if the watch I plan to wear hasn`t got a quickset I won`t subject the cannon pinion to unnecessary wear by cranking the hands round the dial several times. This only applies to vintage watches such as the 1952 Seamaster Calendar I own, mechanical sympathy won`t let me do it on that one....... plus the fact that it takes ages and the date's too small for me to read anyway! The other ones I don`t like resetting are Omegas with the 565 movement where the quickset involves pulling the crown to make the date jump forward, eventually they wear and stop working. They're very fiddly, it's all too easy to alter the date when setting the hands too.However, these can be set easily by winding the hands back to 9 o clock then forward, that's what I call 'semi-quickset' and I`m happy with that. Horses for courses for me, I don`t like doing anything to a vintage watch that'll cause additional wear.

What annoys me is setting the watch in a rush and getting the date change 12 hrs wrong, I never quite get out of making this mistake.

One little tip for those who like their second hand correct. If the watch doesn't hack, set the time with the minimal power on the spring to get it running, in this state turning the crown backwards and holding will usually stop the seconds hand, but usually this won`t work if the watch is in a higher state of wind because the torque from the spring will overcome the friction in the cannon pinion.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    I'm quite OCD in that I really don't like watches to have run down in the first place!
    Man, you've got it bad if you don`t like allowing them to stop! They're not like your pet hamster, they don`t die if their heart stops beating.

That is one of the best looking Oris watches I've seen. Love the crystal distortion.

If you have these functions, they have to be correct otherwise theres no point in having them

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    You mean there are people out there who wouldn't?!
    Yes - though, as a retired free man, I don't need to know the date (or only rarely). I also have a great preference for date-less watches, which nearly always have better balanced dials.

And, speaking of gratuitous watch pics, here's my latest :-
    Last edited by WatchIng; 11th May 2019 at 13:23.

Craftsman
    It has to be correct, so much so that I am averse to wearing my navitimer if the date stopped too far away!

It’s funny, when I joined I thought a date was a necessity of mine, but having a collection now and wearing watches in rotation means unless it’s quickset, it can be more of a pita

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Man, you've got it bad if you don`t like allowing them to stop! They're not like your pet hamster, they don`t die if their heart stops beating.
    To quote someone out of context, its not a matter of life & death - its more important than that! All this is another reason why I'm not too keen on automatics, and prefer quartz, especially Solar or Kinetics. There again, with Kinetics, I always want to make sure that they are fully charged.......I have just bought a couple of quartz watches and I told myself that it would be too much hassle to keep the automatics going if I wanted to wear the new watches regularly - but I can't quite let the autos run down!
    I presume therapy is available somewhere?

Journeyman
    Date needs to be adjusted. Looks like half a job if you don’t. It is annoying though! Great looking oris btw

Master
    I use the date function on mine all the time so generally watches I have without dates don't get worn in the week. My 70s DJ has a non hacking movement so I tend to only wear that a month apart as its too much a pita to hand wind a few weeks!
    But yes all get set at the beginning of the week and worn through. There are about in rotation but the reverso counts as two as I use both faces (this is the exception as it is a non date but I like it!)

At the moment I only have one piece with a date window. I would be happier if it didn't have one and there was a gold baton there instead - however I like everything else about it so much that I can live with this relatively small imperfection.

In daily use the date is way to small for me to see. Even with reading glasses on its a struggle so I will either look in my diary (yes, I still have a paper diary) or on my mobile telephone if I want to know the date.

I do however set the date if it has run down. I realise that this doesn't make sense as I never look at it of course.

Master
    If the watch has a date, I will always adjust it. Otherwise what is the point of having it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    If the watch has a date, I will always adjust it. Otherwise what is the point of having it.
    Because on nearly all watches with this function there isn't a no date dial option!

I have about a dozen watches. None of them has a date function and I won't buy a watch with the date function. Date watches are a pain to set compared to no date. For me the date is just something I don't need or use that is prone to breakage. As a bonus I think watches without the date are better looking as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I decided to wear this at short notice today.
    There was no way I wouldn’t set the day and date,even if I can’t see it I would know it’s wrong and drive me crazy.

Master
    The daily beater usually gets the date changed. As for the others, if I can be bothered I do, otherwise I don't.

I always set the date. Regardless. Call it ocd or whatever. Would just drive me more scatty if I didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Because on nearly all watches with this function there isn't a no date dial option!
    Then if I couldn’t be bothered to set the date, I would find another watch. If it has a date, it should show the correct date. Same as the time. If you don’t set the date, may as well just not set the time and use the phone or fitness tracker instead

I’m guilty of failing to correct the date (drives an OCD work colleague mad). The realisation that it’s superfluous to my needs contributed to the recent sale of my GMT in favour of a Submariner no-date. I feel a tiny bit liberated and loving the cleaner symmetry

Craftsman
    Fortunately, the majority of my watches are no date. If quick-set then I will adjust the date. If not quick-set, then if a couple of days out, I will adjust, but otherwise will wear the watch as is.

I have previously wondered about wear and tear on non quick-set when winding the hands through multiple days to catch the date up and as, in my collection, these are vintage watches, I don’t do it.

Craftsman
    Whenever I am setting the time on a watch that has stopped, I have to change the date (and day of the week if it is one of my Seiko's). I can't see myself wearing a watch with an incorrect date.

However I find it very refreshing that I can wear my SubC ND for 2-3 months sometimes and not having to think about is it 31st or 1st of the month.

My Gshocks are the best of course, only change is when I switch timezones. And even then the Riseman has a very handy feature where by long pressing one button it switches home and away timezone.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app