closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: JC DSSD + BLNR + Pepsi 16710 vs 5167a

Blog Entries

JC DSSD + BLNR + Pepsi 16710 vs 5167a

So I have been fortunate to secure the first three over the past years at very, and extremely sensible money and I could trade them all for a 2019 unworn 5167a.

Is this a sensible consideration??? Discuss....

Ta

Pitch

For me, no. I didn’t love the aquanaut for some reason (the rubber strap maybe? Not sure what it was) and your Rolex models are fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Absolutely utterly, no.
    I got suckered into the whole PP ‘thing’ with a 5712. It’s a nice watch (actually very nice), do not get me wrong, but vs what I traded it for two years ago (never mind now with what has happened to prices since) it simply does not add up.
    Same goes for 5167 if not more so.
    PP is way over priced (always was but has become even worse), if that ‘kudos’ is what you are after then fine do the trade. If you are after real value as regards great watches, design, function, and choice keep what you have.

Blog Entries
    I think we are all singing from the same one my friends and really interesting PP comments. No 'kudos' needed (lovely shower screens though...) and I guess the thing is I just have not bonded with the JC and BLNR, they are nothing really and I would move them on without a blink, although the 16710 is a completely different story, real love and a keeper.

Thank you for your thoughts

Pitch

Master
    Ok so keep the 16710 and sell the others. What else could you do with that cash (watch and non watch related) ???
    Personally am looking at reducing ‘watch cash’ overall whilst changing around what I have.
    Last edited by JP28; 10th May 2019 at 23:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I think we are all singing from the same one my friends and really interesting PP comments. No 'kudos' needed (lovely shower screens though...) and I guess the thing is I just have not bonded with the JC and BLNR, they are nothing really and I would move them on without a blink, although the 16710 is a completely different story, real love and a keeper.

Pitch
    Would agree
    Out of the 4 watches mentioned only the 16710 would be one I would be keen to keep.

Blog Entries

Pitch
    Then keep the 16710. If you can get the 5167A at list - get it.

Blog Entries
    Cheers again chaps. No desire to sell the ‘other’ two they are on deposit but I think I would swap them out for the PP at a blink.

Now a 5167 at list...... last time three years ago when I tried it was just impossible.

First world chit chat, a joke really

Pitch

I’d sell the ones that don’t move you. ( why keep them?)
    The PP does nothing for me at all- I know that I’m probably in the minority but I’m just not falling for it.
    When you factor in just what you could have for so much less like Urban Jurgensen, GO, Lange, it makes it a no-brainer for me.
    Recently also sold my Cameron as it never felt as nice to wear as the Seadweller 43.
    Good luck in the search

Sell the 16710 to me and its problem solved...

Journeyman
    I think you’d be mad to do that. The 5167 just doesn’t work, it’s a so called ‘sporty’ watch with rubber strap and yet it features a ridiculously sensitive bezel which scratches when a napkin brushes across it.

Whether you think it looks good is personal. But there is no denying it’s usability is severely hindered as a daily wearer by that bezel being so exposed and prone to scratching.

But that’s just me.

Go with your heart. but why choose now, why not keep them all and try for the pp at list (the grey prices are bonkers) using the very long period waiting saving up....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Sell the 16710 to me and its problem solved...
    or too me

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    For me, no. I didn’t love the aquanaut for some reason (the rubber strap maybe? Not sure what it was) and your Rolex models are fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    i agree with the last point. My aquanaut is a fixture, but choose the ones you love.

Blog Entries
    This thread is useless without pictures!

Master
    The 5167A is a good looking watch but it’s not worth the asking price for me and consequently the deal you suggest seems mad to me.

Journeyman

JC DSSD + BLNR + Pepsi 16710 vs 5167a

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This thread is useless without pictures!

I have never seen the aquanaut on leather before and I have to say I think it works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    The 5167A is a good looking watch but it’s not worth the asking price for me and consequently the deal you suggest seems mad to me.
    Never a truer statement, it when it comes To PP and Rolex then everything is mad...

Don’t see how the watch “physically” can justify this kind of cost unless you are happy to pay the difference thanks to its name.

Genuine question: how much did you fancy the 5167 when two or three of them passed through SC at pretty much MRSP?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Genuine question: how much did you fancy the 5167 when two or three of them passed through SC at pretty much MRSP?

Craftsman
    Get a 5167 at RRP. That’s what I am hoping to do.

Given the choice to trade, I wouldn’t. I prefer a mix of watches than just having one

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I first tried early 2017 to get my name down at 5-6 AD's with no luck and always pop in when I am in the city to try and at least get my name down to no avail.

Pitch

Get the Aquanaut.

It handles most situations and isn't as delicate as some think. Scratches are scratches. They can be sorted at service if need be.

I had mine on all weekend and trimmer all the box hedges on both sides at the front and did lots of gardening again. It loves a bit of graft.

Blog Entries
    looks lovely bud

Pitch

Master
    I wouldn’t swap any of those Rolex for it let alone three, I just don’t get the hype, it looks mundane..

Master
    ^^^Try one on the wrist....you might change your opinion. Not my cup of tea, until I saw and wore one on the wrist for the first time. Knocked me back, truly. If only I could afford one.....!

Each to their own ,but for me the PP just doesnt do it,prefer the other 3

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don’t do it. The Aquanaut is the most fragile watch I’ve ever owned and will not take any punishment.
    Wear one every day and it will look like sh1zt after a year...
    Drums roll...
    Enter all the folk on here that will be posting selfies of themselves wearing an Aquanaut washing their cars, feeding a budgie and even licking a second class stamp whilst wearing that very watch, and saying ‘well I wear my Aquanaut every day’ Yeah right

Taxi.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    ^^^Try one on the wrist....you might change your opinion. Not my cup of tea, until I saw and wore one on the wrist for the first time. Knocked me back, truly. If only I could afford one.....!
    Hello buddy, was in your neck of the woods today, should have popped in for a cuppa.

All good??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Don’t do it. The Aquanaut is the most fragile watch I’ve ever owned and will not take any punishment.
    Drums roll...
    Enter all the folk on here that will be posting selfies of themselves wearing an Aquanaut washing their cars, feeding a budgie and even licking a second class stamp whilst wearing that very watch, and saying ‘well I wear my Aquanaut every day’ Yeah right

Taxi.
    Like this..excellent view.

I think my three are staying put for a bit, Watchfinder trade values for theirs mean adding another £1k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers again fellas

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    My 5167 was my daily for 9 months (now rotate with Daytona) and it still looks immaculate unless hold up at angle to see the odd hairline.

I usually scratch bracelets rather then the watch head so my Daytona actually looks worse since the rubber on Aquanaut prob takes most of my ‘hits’

Really want to upgrade it to GMT - particularly 5164 travel time but no AD will entertain me

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Drums roll...

Taxi.
    Ha! I am sure it is not that fragile. It probably depends on the wearer but I can see how it can be easy to pick up scratches.

Master
    The 5167A is the best watch, best 1 watch solution period. (IMHO ofc).

I do own a few watches, including APs, and desireable rolex, but if my home was burning down and i could only salvage 1 watch, its the 5167. No question or me.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post

I do own a few watches, including APs, and desireable rolex, but if my home was burning down and i could only salvage 1 watch, its the 5167. No question or me.
    I concur.

Master
    Is there a ‘one watch’ solution for us hobbyists? I wonder. I’m down to one, for now. It’s a DayDate which will take everyday life in a way no Patek ever will. I thought my 5711 was great for cocktail parties, but not tough enough for everyday life.

In truth, strip away any snobbery, and the best everyday watch is probably a DateJust. Unobtrusive, wonderfully resilient, endlessly reliable. Just not ‘sexy’.
    Last edited by paskinner; 22nd May 2019 at 10:00.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The aquanaut isn't worth the JC and BLNR.
    Let alone adding the 16710

the 16710 is a completely different story, real love and a keeper.

Pitch
    Sums up the watch collecting, consumerist, greed(?) for me.

You have something you describe as a a "real love" and a "keeper" yet you're looking to cast it aside for the next shiny thing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Blowers has a 5167 for a whopping 28k

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Blowers has a 5167 for a whopping 28k
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post

Got nothing to do with likely being the most valuable

Jests aside, at 28k there are a LOT of options for people out there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Is there a ‘one watch’ solution for us hobbyists? I wonder. I’m down to one, for now. It’s a DayDate which will take everyday life in a way no Patek ever will. I thought my 5711 was great for cocktail parties, but not tough enough for everyday life.

In truth, strip away any snobbery, and the best everyday watch is probably a DateJust. Unobtrusive, wonderfully resilient, endlessly reliable. Just not ‘sexy’.
    Wouldn't your GS quartz fit / have fitted that description even better?

Like the 5167 but would rather have the three you have.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Wouldn't your GS quartz fit / have fitted that description even better?
    But I imagine quartz is ‘banned’ in the prestige stakes. Always a humble servant to the mechanical giants. Shame really, as every bit as much ingenuity and intelligence went into the quartz designs....which being nearly sixty years old, are themselves a ‘vintage’ technology.