closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A new arrival

Master

A new arrival

Just back from collecting this absolute beauty! I rang Watches of Switzerland to ask about something else, mentioned I was keen on a DJ 41 in rhodium & the guy said "I've got one in stock".
    One panicky scramble across London later & it was mine!
    My first Rolex, I really love it, understated but effective.
    Thanks to Jayson at WoS, Oxford Street for his help, plus the beer & champagne we (Mrs Speedy came along too) were offered.
    I could do with an extra link if anyone has a spare...
    https://i.imgur.com/MmGYhv0.jpg

That’s a touch! I don’t think you will be disappointed, it’s a great watch and a really nice combination that you have picked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks very much, I was looking for a good while to find the combination & it was pure luck the way it turned out. I'd cast my net as far as Glasgow & then hit the jackpot in London!
    I definitely need to get an extra link though.

Ask the selling AD. Most would have provided a link for free on a steel watch (some on precious metal if the deal was right for them), but they will still be able to source one for you pretty quickly.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Thanks, I will go back to him. He said that they could order one but said it would be around £75, I thought that was a bit steep but I'm not up to speed on Rolex prices yet.

That’s a beautiful thing, congrats! I went to the Rolex boutique in Leeds recently and ended up looking at a few DJs - the dials are just great.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    That’s a beautiful thing, congrats! I went to the Rolex boutique in Leeds recently and ended up looking at a few DJs - the dials are just great.

I looked at black, silver, blue & rhodium at Watchfinder - I settled on the rhodium & then tried to get one at rrp. Yesterday was just a serendipity, random call to a shop, frantic dash & success. I love the dial but in certain lights its reflective nature makes the hands hard to see. Mind you, I'm used to bigger hands - I'll soon adjust.

Master
    I’m a fan...especially of the smooth bezel version, which is also the least costly; but I prefer the new Jubilee bracelet.
    The ‘austerity’ of the smooth bezel seems to counterbalance the mild ‘bling’ of the Jubilee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Is it used? Or do you have huge wrists?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Nice pickup

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Is it used? Or do you have huge wrists?

It's new but I have 7.75 inch wrists and I like it to fit with space to slide a finger underneath. It fits ok now but I'd like it to be slightly looser.

Master
    Surprised these don't come with 8" clearance.

V tasteful piece. Enjoy.

Very nice indeed. This is my favourite Rolex and the dial colour is a touch of class.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Surprised these don't come with 8" clearance.

V tasteful piece. Enjoy.

My original Deep Sea is the only Rolex I've ever bought that would fit a full 8 inch wrist comfortably, without an extra link.
    It's just a matter of time...

That looks lovely, saw a blue one of these on someone's wrist recently and quite impressed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    My original Deep Sea is the only Rolex I've ever bought that would fit a full 8 inch wrist comfortably, without an extra link.
    Interesting. Many brands seem to reach that length now as standard. Given our bigger body dimensions I'd have thought it was universal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Surely the AD would or should have supplied you an extra link during the transaction? Lovely watch

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    We did ask, he said he didn't have any & would have to order one in at a cost of around £75, which I thought was a bit much.

Master

A new arrival

Interesting. Many brands seem to reach that length now as standard. Given our bigger body dimensions I'd have thought it was universal.

Little sympathy I suspect, but a link in the gold chains costs around £800, I’m told. So I hope the summer heat doesn’t cause issues....the DayDate has no means of adjustment because of the concealed clasp.

The steel Jubilee bracelet does have some adjustability. I think the Oyster does too. All bracelets need some adjustment, and a standard 8inches (!) would be useful.
    Last edited by paskinner; 11th May 2019 at 12:25.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Little sympathy I suspect, but a link in the gold chains costs around £800, I’m told.
    :-O

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    It's new but I have 7.75 inch wrists and I like it to fit with space to slide a finger underneath. It fits ok now but I'd like it to be slightly looser.
    Is it set to the loosest fine adjustment setting in the clasp? There are 3 positions I think. If not, that might help a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it set to the loosest fine adjustment setting in the clasp? There are 3 positions I think. If not, that might help a bit.

Master
    Congrats on the new acquisition. Oyster bracelet is better suited with the smooth bezel, Jubilee bracelet better suited to the Rolesor bezel imo. You made the right choice.
    Last edited by AlexM; 11th May 2019 at 13:33.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I believe it is because I asked the guy in the shop to adjust it. I'll check again though.

Journeyman
    That is stunning. Love the dial colour. Pure class

Craftsman
    Perfect start to the world of rolex. Won't be long before you are addicted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Goochie81 View Post
    That is stunning. Love the dial colour. Pure class

Thanks very much, it's gratifying that lots of people think I chose the best combination.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post
    Perfect start to the world of rolex. Won't be long before you are addicted.

That's not what my wife says, she thinks it is likely to be quite some time...

Craftsman
    That's not what my wife says, she thinks it is likely to be quite some time...
    Ditch the wife........ She seems to be getting in the way........ Lol

Master
    I saw one of those on an aircraft a few weeks ago and it looked ultra classy.

Very good choice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I saw one of those on an aircraft a few weeks ago and it looked ultra classy.

Very good choice.
    Thanks. It's a pleasing alternative to the sports watches I've had hitherto, a Seamaster & a Moonwatch, plus a a CWC RN Diver.

looks lovely :)

Master

A new arrival

Here’s the difference between the smooth and the fluted bezel. One is stainless steel, the other 18k gold.
    On the wrist, the fluted version....which seems more popular....catches the light in a very striking way. It can seem like a different watch, more ‘obvious’ and eye catching. It;s the ‘classic’ design for a modern DJ. It flashes and sparkles, if you like that sort of thing.
    The smooth bezel is quieter, more relaxed and modern. Less obtrusive. Although it isn’t as good at hiding little knocks as the fluted version.
    I’ve had both, for me the smooth bezel wins. But always with the Jubilee. Just classier to my eyes, the Oyster belongs on a ‘sports’ watch. But, both sell well....
    Colours? I like the rhodium but also admire that blue dial. These , I believe, are very fine modern Rolex designs, and not just ‘runner up’ if you can’t get a ‘professional’ model.
    I’d hazard a guess that the more popular versions will continue to form their own waiting lists.
    I suspect the really smart buyers get one of these, and wear it for many years as their only watch. Imagine that!
    Last edited by paskinner; 11th May 2019 at 19:22.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Here’s the difference between the smooth and the fluted bezel. One is stainless steel, the other 18k gold.
    On the wrist, the fluted version....which seems more popular....catches the light in a very striking way. It can seem like a different watch, more ‘obvious’ and eye catching. It;s the ‘classic’ design for a modern DJ. It flashes and sparkles, if you like that sort of thing.
    The smooth bezel is quieter, more relaxed and modern. Less obtrusive. Although it isn’t as good at hiding little knocks as the fluted version.
    I’ve had both, for me the smooth bezel wins. But always with the Jubilee. Just classier to my eyes, the Oyster belongs on a ‘sports’ watch. But, both sell well....
    Colours? I like the rhodium but also admire that blue dial. These , I believe, are very fine modern Rolex designs, and not just ‘runner up’ if you can’t get a ‘professional’ model.
    I’d hazard a guess that the more popular versions will continue to form their own waiting lists.
    I suspect the really smart buyers get one of these, and wear it for many years as their only watch. Imagine that!
    With the exception of the Jubilee I concur with your assessment. I looked at blue but rhodium won it in the end. I prefer the look of the smooth bezel & I've always admired the Oyster bracelet - I disagree with you that the Oyster is only for sports models, I think the polished centre section works well, it's subtle but it's elegant enough to work.
    DJs are getting a bit hard to find, like you say, I think people are buying them as they can't get the "professional" models, rather than because they actually want a DJ. If that trend continues, waiting lists are the logical conclusion.
    I plan to keep the DJ as a permanent member of the stable but I will be hanging on to my Moonwatch & my Seamaster 2254 & rotating them, though I can see the DJ becoming the most worn of the three.