closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC 2019!

SOTC 2019!

There have been a number of changes to the collection over the last 12-15 months. Is the collection complete? No! Am I happy with it? I’d say satisfied but what to change somethings I’ll explain as I go on.

Here is the overall collection.

So moving in to a little bit about each one. The first box is the daily’s, most often worn and the box that is the cause of my dilemmas!

We have:-

2254 Omega Seamaster.

Been with me just over 2 years and a massive favourite of mine. Worn regular on bracelet and a black Omega NATO. This goes with me on all holidays and is my go to piece. Just ordered an Omega Rubber and Deployant for my upcoming holiday. Very safe in the collection and unlikely ever to leave me! Bought from the forum.

Rolex OP36

The latest addition to the collection bought new from my local AD. This watch completes a 7 month search and is a very sentimental piece. Was looking at a number of watches in the Trafford centre in November last year came close to pulling the trigger then life as it does threw me a nasty curve ball in the loss of my Dad. Watches put on hold while his estate was cleared up and resolved. With the proviso that I would revisit this and buy a watch as a gift from my late mum and dad once everything was cleared. This was it. Worn regular and loved. Will never leave me!

Rolex Submariner 14060m

The start of my indecisiveness. This was bought as a keeper and I much loved by me but is at risk even due to the reasons it was bought. Yes it’s a classic and is stunning, but for me the 2254 gets more wrist time and is my go to diver. Bought of the forum and is at risk but only for one watch atm!

Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch

Bought from new and definitely the most under threat watch I own. I want to love it yet can’t. I wear it I enjoy it. But... I can’t put my finger on it though it just isn’t loved! I’ve considered it for trade many times, and currently is a major part of my next watch thoughts. Clearly one that won’t stay forever.

So still with me? Onto the next box.

All Quartz

Rotary British Aerospace gift

Extremely sentimental and will never really be worn by me, this is my dads watch and one he worn most days for 20 years. The watch is kept by me but as my dad requested this will go to my eldest son once he is older. A lovely piece and means the world to me, every time I see it I see my dad.

CWC SBS Diver

One of my beaters. Love this watch tough and lume so bright. Bought off the forum and is sure to stay with me. This watch holds a specific memory for me. I was wearing this watch on holiday in Spain sat poolside enjoying a beer and watching my kids playing in and around the pool. When my son swallowed some water and made himself cough and get into trouble in the water. In the pool I go dressed, without a thought. Pull him out!

CWC G10

Issued watch. Another beater, in fact this is my gardening and DIY watch. So simple, love it. Gets battered and as such there is no value in it but a lot of enjoyment.

Then onto the final box.

A sentimental mystery

The watch my Dad got on his 21st in 1963. I love this piece yet I know nothing about it. No name nothing. It’s been looked after but no watchmaker has told me much apart from it’s a great watch and a good movement. Next time it’s serviced I know to ask more questions! Will never leave me and is worn surprisingly much.

Smiths dress watch.

Such a nice watch and in my eyes a forum bargain. Bought off DB9yeti for about £150 I think such a nice watch and a kick back to old times with a truly English made watch. I love it just need to wear it more. Still won’t leave the collection!

Seiko (aka my beast!)

The largest wearing watch I own very heavy I find but I love it. Went on holiday with me last year and now is my camping/caravan watch. I can wear it enjoy it and not worry about it. Love it on the bracelet but also the rubber it came with is amazing. A nice bit of colour to the collection.

Keora

My grandads war watch bought in India some time between 1942-1945 and for me it’s where it all started. I remember ogling this watch weekly at my grandads it was battered and not working half a strap. But the stories he told me when I was looking at the watch made my fascination with it. Long after he passed our fine member Animalone worked on it and fixed it up. A massively sentimental piece and tiny by today’s standards but a hugely important piece. One which my 11 year old son wears to family events. To me it’s priceless!

Grandads Accurist

Same grandad but in later life this was his watch always on his wrist until the day he died. Again I owe Animalone for fixing this. A true gent. Rarely worn, not a common shape nowadays. But a piece I love.

Omega Geneve

My forum beginnings, this was the watch that brought me hear. A slippery slope! Mid 60s I think I enjoy it. Not worn often and little real value in it. But still a great watch.

And of course all collections must have a G

New to me again off the forum, like it. But can’t say much more yet. Will try it out and report back!

So for me where next.

I love what I have but as I have said there are some movements planned.

What I’m interested in.

Polar Explorer With drilled lugs
    Rolex Gmt circa 1990s

My thoughts are as follows, sub and Speedie are moveable, maybe a SC add in future 2 for 1 trade with cash.. then there is my next want a NaviTimer. So who knows!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by woodacre1983; 10th May 2019 at 22:51.

Really enjoyed reading that, thank you! Lovely watches and described with obvious, genuine enthusiasm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice interesting varied collection there, always good to have a write up for each too.

I like the Seamster 2254 the most.

Superb collection mate, I love them all (apart from the Seiko and the ghastly G-Shock thing ). It was wonderful to read the stories behind them too.

Re: the Speedmaster, try it on the (correct era) bracelet. I used to always wear mine on a crocodile strap / deployant combo, but once I got the metal bracelet sized I’ve found it transformed the watch - it made it feel more vintage! I’ve not worn my 2254 for ages because of it.

We have similar tastes in watches. Feel free to give me a pre-SC shout should any become available!

Edit: totally agree that Animalone is a superstar. I owe him a few favours!

Very nice collection and what a lovely and sentimental story with some of the watches.
    I hope the watches will be passed down to new generations along with the lovely stories.
    Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Craftsman

SOTC 2019!

Thanks for the write up, really interesting, and a lovely collection.

I periodically think about ditching the speedy then find a great strap for it and all is forgiven (currently on a pavstrap). Also, bit of a first world problem, but given the pain setting the date on my navitimer always seem to reach for the speedmaster first...

Interesting comments on the sub, which is a default grail.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by greenandblack; 11th May 2019 at 02:12.

Master
    Always great to see such a varied collection and read the stories which go along with each watch.
    Enjoy them all!

Fantastic write up, really enjoyed it. The stories behind each watch mark a true watch collector! For me the stand outs are your dad's watch from his 21st, really like that and your granddad's war watch, incredible to still hsve that. Also the OP36, wasn't expecting to like that, but for the reason you bought it and also the nice champagne dial. Makes things simpler to have a versatile watch that you will never sell, I have a similar one.

Looking at those 3 in the watch roll (2254, 14060, Speedmaster) is like looking in my own watch box, they are my most expensive purchases so far and I would say for me I love them all equally at the moment.

Interesting you mention your late fathers watch, my Dad who’s passed worked for British Aerospace for most of his life, on 25 years service he was offered a watch or a barometer, he chose the barometer as he always talked about the weather, if he had chose the watch I imagine it would have been one of those..

Lovely collection but I’m sure it will change over the years!!

An interesting write up of a varied collection. Good to see a number of watches with a strong family connection.

A lovely collection, all round, and a fascinating narrative to accompany the collection. I wouldn’t sell the 14060. Love the Keora with its syringe hands.

Nice collection, nice write-up

Thank you for all the nice comments. I’m certain the collection will evolve more. But I am equally if the thinking that without the strong family link to a number of the watches I wouldn’t be on this forum or collecting watches today. You need something to spike your interest and for me it was family.

Interesting some of the comments on keeping the Sub. I do love it. But I can’t see a way of owning a 1990s GMT without trading the Sub.

The Speedie is under serious threat I’ve tried the bracelet and still like it but not love it. One potential plan if the GMT idea doesn’t work is to look at trading the Speedie for a base Panerai.

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    A sentimental mystery

The watch my Dad got on his 21st in 1963. I love this piece yet I know nothing about it. No name nothing. It’s been looked after but no watchmaker has told me much apart from it’s a great watch and a good movement. Next time it’s serviced I know to ask more questions! Will never leave me and is worn surprisingly much.
    Your above watch rang a bell, and then when this Smiths Imperial popped up today, that's what I thought it resembled. Could just be the red seconds hand accent and the general styling given the details are off.

Other similar makes to the Smiths Imperial? Or just a general style of the time that really narrows it down no further?

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    I have one and enjoy wearing it..
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 11th May 2019 at 16:02.

I enjoyed reading that - thank you!

I particularly liked your write up on the pieces owned by your father and grandfather.

Lots of favourites there, as well as a couple of special ones! Thanks for posting your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Your above watch rang a bell, and then when this Smiths Imperial popped up today, that's what I thought it resembled. Could just be the red seconds hand accent and the general styling given the details are off.

Other similar makes to the Smiths Imperial? Or just a general style of the time that really narrows it down no further?
    Thank you. I know what you mean I can see the resemblances there clearly.

Nice write up and quite a diverse collection! The only suggestion I'd say is maybe look beyond Rolex for your next watches ;)

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Nice write up and quite a diverse collection! The only suggestion I'd say is maybe look beyond Rolex for your next watches ;)
    Really?!? What would be your suggestion? A Navi is definitely one for the future. But atm all I can see wanting to add is the GMT

Master
    Could I ask what the strap is on the G10 please??

Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    Could I ask what the strap is on the G10 please??

That was a strap made by a forum member on here called Rev-O brilliant strap. Very hard wearing too.

Craftsman
    Really?!? What would be your suggestion? A Navi is definitely one for the future. But atm all I can see wanting to add is the GMT

Both would fit in well I think, but especially a GMT.

Your grandfathers watch reminds me a bit of my grandpas (though I know nothing about it). Keeps alright time as long as you don’t wear it as the hands slip about! Must get it serviced...

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post

Your grandfathers watch reminds me a bit of my grandpas (though I know nothing about it). Keeps alright time as long as you don’t wear it as the hands slip about! Must get it serviced...

That does have a similar look, you mind me asking. What age that watch is?

Craftsman
    That does have a similar look, you mind me asking. What age that watch is
    Still no idea, was hoping you could tell me!

My uneducated thoughts would be 1940s maybe slightly earlier. The biggest help for me on mine was Animalone from this forum.