closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Protecting your lugs

Protecting your lugs

Does anyone recommend some kind of tape to put onto lugs before going to work with a springbar tool (or a reason not to)?

I’m not overly precious about scratches, but it doesn’t seem like a huge inconvenience to avoid chewing up your lugs.
    Last edited by The_Perfect_Sandwich; 10th May 2019 at 11:35.

Master
    Good old masking tape works for me. I know some people swear by insulation tape but I find it leaves too much glue on the surface when removed.

I know that others do, but i have never bothered with tape or otherwise. Might be that I have a particularly steady hand (unlikely) but so far no lugs damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Some people work from the front side of the watch when changing straps......

Quote Originally Posted by Skyjack View Post
    Some people work from the front side of the watch when changing straps......
    Isn’t that just begging for scratches? Why not go from the back?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    Isn’t that just begging for scratches? Why not go from the back?

That's what I mean, seems obvious, but clearly not to everyone..

I always tape the lugs up as spring bar tools can and do slip. Why risk scratching the case to pieces with really deep scratches.

I just use scotch tape, the stuff you can put on paper and peel off again without ripping it, leaves no glue residue behind.

https://www.viking-direct.co.uk/en/p...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotch-Tape...fsclp_pl_dp_10
    Last edited by Vanguard; 10th May 2019 at 14:01.

I stopped to care about underside of lugs. I may change straps 2-3 times a day and I don't like an idea to add extra 5 minutes each time taping lugs.

Lugs will get scratched eventually, so, why bother. It's better to invest in tools thus minimising risks of slipping.

Grand Master
    Cousins sell a range of brown plastic masking tape in various sizes, its tough and doesn't leave a residue. Having said that, I usually use plastic insulating tape and wipe off any adhesive residue with white spirit, I usualy have it easily to hand so its quicker.

Taping lugs is a good safeguard against scratching, often I can fit springbars with no risk of marking but it's sensible to do this. Another good trick is to use a piece of pegwood sharpened to a screwdriver-shaped end, get that under the springbar and use it to lever the bar over the lug and into position.

Always use a magnifier, even if you think you don`t need one, and clamp the watch head in a case clamp when fitting fiddly bracelets.

I never used to bother, then I used decorators' masking tape which I found too sticky.

Now I use the heavy (-ish) blue polythene that new bracelets are usually wrapped up in. No glue, but plenty of protection.
    ______

​Jim.

I nearly always go from the front. The only time I slip is when the bar is out of its hole, and as I’m going from the front it only risks scratching the back of it pops out of the tool.

??

Blog Entries
    I use electric insulation tape. Works fine.

Master
    Masking tape or sellotape for me front and back, and always go from behind :)

Master
    I change straps so regularly that it would just be a PITA to tape things up every time. If it gets a scratch, then its a scratch on part of a watch I cannot see so I fail to see the issue personally.

But which watch to wear when changing straps?

Craftsman
    Insulation tape for me.
    When I’ve taken a watch in for repair and the watchmaker I use removes the strap or bracelet in front of me I’ve noticed he doesn’t tape anything off, but then he must’ve done it thousands of times

Quote Originally Posted by Skyjack View Post
    That's what I mean, seems obvious, but clearly not to everyone..
    That was lost on me obviously

I use masking tape but the type plastic kit modellers use. Tamiya do some in a plastic dispenser, I use that as it's narrow so not a pain in the neck to use.