closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pre-Owned Timekeeping

Pre-Owned Timekeeping

Pre owned from reputable trader. What would you expect as acceptable timekeeping tolerances?

I know the answer would depend on different variables like type of watch, age and how much you paid etc..

But let’s say you paid top dollar for a decent certified chronometer which was less than 15 years old. Normally I would accept +/- 6 seconds a day.. Is that asking too much?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    If it has a recent service, then I'd be expecting it to be performing within the COSC parameters it was originally certified for, regardless of the age of the watch.

You are correct there are many variables, the most important of which is servicing. When was it last serviced. If it has not been serviced I would say all bets are off when it comes to time keeping from a 15 year old watch.

Master
    If you paid top dollar from a dealer, I would expect within manufacturers specification as if it is not, then it needs some attention and the seller should have taken care of that

Top dollar from a dealer and I would expect it have been serviced recently (still under warranty) and therefore to be performing as such.

Declared service and has warranty with dealer... it’s on its way back today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Top dollar from a dealer and I would expect it have been serviced recently (still under warranty) and therefore to be performing as such.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wrigles View Post
    Declared service and has warranty with dealer... it’s on its way back today.

So it was outside +-6s/day? Do let us know how you get on.

Did the dealer include the manufacturers service papers. If not, I would insist the watch is sent back to the manufacturer for a full service - at their cost. If they refuse, ask (get) your money back.

Totally up to you of course!

Martyn.

-20 seconds.. I completely agree Martyn..
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    So it was outside +-6s/day? Do let us know how you get on.

Did the dealer include the manufacturers service papers. If not, I would insist the watch is sent back to the manufacturer for a full service - at their cost. If they refuse, ask (get) your money back.

Totally up to you of course!

Martyn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Out of interest what was the watch?

Grand Master
    OP asks a general question instead of advice relating to his specific situation. If I’d bought a 10 year old Rolex from someone like Blowers my expectation would differ from having bought a 50 year old Omega from an online dealer.

If we’re talking about an expensive watch from a reputable dealer I would expect it to be running well and not in need of service or regulation. Expecting it to be freshly serviced is unrealistic, and if it was this would be reflected in the price, but certainly the watch shouldn’t need attention.

A watch can keep time within the range -4 to +6 but doesn’t necessarily meet COSC standards, its possible that it’s been regulated very carefully.

With old watches it sometimes becomes uneconomic to replace several parts in order to get the watch truly within COSC standards. If a watch can be made to run well, with good amplitude and good positional agreement albeit just outside COSC range, it makes sense to leave it at that rather than incur disproportionate expense chasing marginal gains. If a watch is 40+ years old it sometimes pays to manage your expectations accordingly.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 10th May 2019 at 10:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    With old watches it sometimes becomes uneconomic to replace several parts in order to get the watch truly within COSC standards. If a watch can be made to run well, with good amplitude and good positional agreement albeit just outside COSC range, it makes sense to leave it at that rather than incur disproportionate expense chasing marginal gains. If a watch is 40+ years old it sometimes pays to manage your expectations accordingly.
    +1 WW. Though you can get lucky too. I've had watches that are a bit older than 40 years old and they were remarkably accurate and consistent timekeepers. I've a 15 jewel 1916 Longines Trench watch that is one of the most consistent mechanical timekeepers I own. I wore it as my daily for years and really only set the time when summer/winter time came around. I suspect because after it went out of fashion it was left in a drawer for most of its life and so wear and tear were minimised so reflects the accuracy it was expected to have when new. I have a 30's Zenith pilot's watch that was my dad's that was well looked after and though it's in need of a service at the moment it can run at the COSC standards when running right. The watch I'm wearing today, a Urofa engined Wagner RLM from the early 40's consistently runs at +10 per day, so no doubt a watchmaker could tweak it even more and God knows the last time it was serviced *embarrassed*. On the other hand I've had 60's and 70's watches that ran like three legged horses even after services by good watchmakers. They were just worn out or badly looked after.

Where I do take some issue is the usual ebay and elsewhere vintage dealers that along with their overuse of the word "rare", will regularly describe old watches as "running well and only gaining/losing five minutes a day". As if that's expected. That's their get out clause for a pig in a poke I suppose.