closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win-win in Amsterdam

Win-win in Amsterdam

I flew to Amsterdam yesterday to see my team (Tottenham Hotspur) in the Champions League semi final, and not only was it the most exciting match I've ever seen in person, I managed to pick this beauty up on a chance walk-in at the Rolex dealer!
    It was a comical scene as the store was very busy with what might have been a bus-load of tourists from China who were repeatedly asking for any and all sports models. I sympathised with the sales lady and apologetically mentioned my hunt for a Submariner (no date) - I started by stating that I appreciated they wouldn't have one but perhaps she could give some idea of supply and demand comparing the date and the no-date variants. After a few minutes and just as I was about to leave she was whispering with her manager and then called me back to tell me it was my lucky day - she wasn't wrong either what with Spurs' 96th minute winner!
    A dozen of the tourists were raging that I was getting a watch while they were told there were none... And the subtle conversation from the sales people suggested they were delighted to stick one up the tourists, who were simply asking for all of the in-demand models with no apparent appreciation or preference for a particular one. They decided to pull a watch out of the stock room for me because it was clearly my 'grail' watch. While I was having it sized, another guy was being sold a GMT Pepsi (though I don't know if he'd been on a wait list or was a known customer).
    So there's a tip for any first time buyers - ask for one model (hopefully your grail watch is not a stainless steel Daytona) and try to demonstrate that you're not a flipper. Got the warranty card & tags too, and they weren't even bothered about taking the stickers off, though I happily tore away!

Journeyman
    Made up for you mate, lovely story that gives everyone after a hot model a little bit of hope! Brilliant!

Gaz

Apprentice
    Congrats on picking that up. I’ve wanted a Sub ND for a long time (to replace my 2500 Planet Ocean). I’m in Amsterdam next weekend and I was planning to pop in to Rolex and have a look.... most likely they’ll be down to zero now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    You really are a prize bell-end.
    Wow - thanks. How do I deserve that compliment?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
    Congrats on picking that up. I’ve wanted a Sub ND for a long time (to replace my 2500 Planet Ocean). I’m in Amsterdam next weekend and I was planning to pop in to Rolex and have a look.... most likely they’ll be down to zero now

Go to the shop in Gassan's diamond factory (the more eastern of the two in the city). Bit off the beaten track and hopefully a better chance - good luck!

Master
    The Chinese hoarding of luxury goods in Europe is disgusting. Its all because they want to make a buck or convert their RMBs into something that might not be worthless once the crisis hits...

Last time there was a rumble in the financial markets, the exports of high grade diamonds from Hong Kong to mainland China rose by 55%...

Congrats btw, love the story.

Apprentice

Master
    Well done to you and we'll done to Spurs. What an incredible day for you.

Master
    Double dunter for you, well done.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Because I don't believe a word you write. You're asking us to believe that a salesperson cared who they sold a watch to, and they chose you because they appreciated a man who wanted his 'grail'? Do me a favour. Not to mention the ever-so-slightly racist dig at Chinese tourists.

Anyway, troll on - you have a captive audience.
    No offense to the Chinese - it was more the tourist nature of their pushy tactics. Anyway, here's a photo of the warranty card and receipt just for you my friend (my name and watch serial number covered):

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    No offense to the Chinese - it was more the tourist nature of their pushy tactics. Anyway, here's a photo of the warranty card and receipt just for you my friend (my name and watch serial number covered):
    Thanks. Enjoy your watch.

Journeyman
    The way some people speak to others on here is quite disgusting and makes me never want to come back on this forum. Even when opinions differ, respect and manners costs nothing. Such language reveals much about an individual.

Gaz

Journeyman
    That’s all you have to say after calling someone “a prize bellend” and him subsequently proving that perhaps that cap better fits yourself?

Top marks for a fantastic result. Don't ask in the right way, don't get. I've had similar experiences. Some of us on here know that there are people working in ADs who are genuine watch lovers and like to sell to WIS. Just pop into FH in Kingston.

By the way, also not liking the ad hominem remarks. No reason to doubt the man, far to less to call out without a shred of evidence of untruthfulness. Shame he was pushed to feel he had to provide evidence to the contrary, as absolutely not needed IMO.

Craftsman
    A great day for you who would have thought spurs could have turned that around great result and what ever happens an english team will win the champions league
    Also the icing on the cake is getting your sub its one im after as well
    Please ignore the negative comments one guy made in life there are plonkers

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Fantastic couple of results there, very well done indeed

Well done mate - see you in Madrid! 👍

Thanks all, my feet still haven't touched the ground
    Last edited by Halitosis; 20th January 2021 at 09:53.

Blog Entries
    Classic.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Fantastic story. Congrats!

Blog Entries
    Nice to hear that it's still possible to buy these things. Always worth a try I guess!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You really are a prize bell-end.

Really ....

Owl1
    Excellent win ..good luck in the final .

Congratulation on your new watch.
    I am still waiting for mine but I am sure it'll one day.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

maybe he was an Ajax fan.....

it’s pretty obvious what the OP has done with the receipt, guarantee etc...............

. He’s blanked out his name, because it read “Mr Harry Bellend”.

Congrats on the watch mate, an absolute beauty, ND sub would be a dream watch for me. I’m die hard Spurs too, 30 odd years of mostly disappointment made up for last night, god I felt rough this morning! The City and Ajax games have nearly killed me - not sure I’ve got the minerals for the final! Are you a ST holder? I don’t have anywhere near enough points to get tickets for a Euro away game, hoping they might do a fanzone event at new WHL for the final.

(Ignore the utter mug having a pop at you, so unnecessary and an obvious troll who wouldn’t have the balls to speak like that away from his screen).

👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Congrats on the watch mate, an absolute beauty, ND sub would be a dream watch for me. I’m die hard Spurs too, 30 odd years of mostly disappointment made up for last night, god I felt rough this morning! The City and Ajax games have nearly killed me - not sure I’ve got the minerals for the final! Are you a ST holder? I don’t have anywhere near enough points to get tickets for a Euro away game, hoping they might do a fanzone event at new WHL for the final.
    
    Cheers David. No I'm not a season ticket holder, just got incredibly lucky getting a home end ticket at face value from a friend who's an Ajax ST holder. I've only been to one other game this season - Barcelona away (which at the time I thought couldn't be beaten as an experience but this Ajax game was another level). I don't dare raise the idea of Madrid with my wife after this spend
    I had been saving to get to a game at the new stadium but did Amsterdam instead when the chance arose. Living in Scotland, flights and accommodation are about the same to go to Europe vs a home match.

Anyway, looking at this watch will always remind me of the day and match - haven't previously given my watches names but this is henceforth called Lucas SubMouraner
    Last edited by Halitosis; 9th May 2019 at 21:03.

Journeyman
    I flew to Amsterdam yesterday to see my team (Tottenham Hotspur) in the Champions League semi final, and not only was it the most exciting match I've ever seen in person, I managed to pick this beauty up on a chance walk-in at the Rolex dealer!
    It was a comical scene as the store was very busy with what might have been a bus-load of tourists from China who were repeatedly asking for any and all sports models. I sympathised with the sales lady and apologetically mentioned my hunt for a Submariner (no date) - I started by stating that I appreciated they wouldn't have one but perhaps she could give some idea of supply and demand comparing the date and the no-date variants. After a few minutes and just as I was about to leave she was whispering with her manager and then called me back to tell me it was my lucky day - she wasn't wrong either what with Spurs' 96th minute winner!
    A dozen of the tourists were raging that I was getting a watch while they were told there were none... And the subtle conversation from the sales people suggested they were delighted to stick one up the tourists, who were simply asking for all of the in-demand models with no apparent appreciation or preference for a particular one. They decided to pull a watch out of the stock room for me because it was clearly my 'grail' watch. While I was having it sized, another guy was being sold a GMT Pepsi (though I don't know if he'd been on a wait list or was a known customer).
    So there's a tip for any first time buyers - ask for one model (hopefully your grail watch is not a stainless steel Daytona) and try to demonstrate that you're not a flipper. Got the warranty card & tags too, and they weren't even bothered about taking the stickers off, though I happily tore away!
    Well done lad. Great result!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Cheers David. No I'm not a season ticket holder, just got incredibly lucky getting a home end ticket at face value from a friend who's an Ajax ST holder. I've only been to one other game this season - Barcelona away (which at the time I thought couldn't be beaten as an experience but this Ajax game was another level). I don't dare raise the idea of Madrid with my wife after this spend
    I had been saving to get to a game at the new stadium but did Amsterdam instead when the chance arose. Living in Scotland, flights and accommodation are about the same to go to Europe vs a home match.

Anyway, looking at this watch will always remind me of the day and match - haven't previously given my watches names but this is henceforth called Lucas SubMouraner
    Haha, nice one on the watch name! You definitely picked the right game to go to, what a night and you managed to pick your grail watch up on the journey, what a memento that is as you say. I’d buy a lottery ticket this week if I were you😃👍

Master
    Thanks all, this was my cheesy grin before the second win of the day. My feet still haven't touched the ground
    Quality - You have owned him twice now for his foolish comments 😎 Karma.

Master
    Another Spurs fan here. What a night! Cracking result for you too!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great story & congratulations on the new watch & on the footy results.

I wouldn't take any notice of Onelasttime. I had to un-ignore him to see what he wrote & it just confirmed my opinion of him being an utter bell-end himself.

Master
    BTW OP, you'll be impressed when you get to the new stadium, it is incredible!

Good for you, it just shows some empathy with sales folk and some common decency brings its own rewards. Welcome to the Sub club and all the best to Spurs for the final.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Arse. Plate. Handed. Nice one OP!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Grand Master
    I’m not a Spurs fan, or a Rolex Sub fan, but I fail to see why the OP warranted the title of ‘bell-end’.........if I’d been on the receiving end of such unwarranted criticism I wouldn’t be happy but considering the win-win situation I’d ( probably) cut the misguided critic some slack and let it go.

What’s wrong with this forum? There was a time when it was far more friendly and light- hearted, but that was in the days when watches were a whole lot cheaper.........concidence maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’m not a Spurs fan, or a Rolex Sub fan, but I fail to see why the OP warranted the title of ‘bell-end’.........if I’d been on the receiving end of such unwarranted criticism I wouldn’t be happy but considering the win-win situation I’d ( probably) cut the misguided critic some slack and let it go.

What’s wrong with this forum? There was a time when it was far more friendly and light- hearted, but that was in the days when watches were a whole lot cheaper.........concidence maybe?
    What’s wrong with the forum? A bunch of vicious out of control resident trolls have been allowed to run amok and savage fellow members with total impunity, that’s what. Enjoy the new norm.
    Last edited by VDG; 10th May 2019 at 00:11.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I can only apologise for my part in the sorry turn of this thread. Had I read the post properly, I would never have shown fair-minded and justified solidarity with the OP.

Regards
    An Arsenal fan

Craftsman
    Many congratulations....... Great result (watch only)

Come on) LFC.....

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Great result, well done OP. I'm a Forest fan but my grandfather was a North London boy and supported Tottenham, so I've always had a soft spot for them

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Fair play to the OP for been able to simply buy a Rolex Watch from a AD, cracking ending to what I'm guessing was a great week. But as much as the Rolex GMT is my grail watch it drives me mad the things Rolex AD's or Rolex themselves have become with a view to someone simply wanting to treat themselves to something they've either aspired to or decided they want.

I'd love to be able to buy a standard GMT Master but I'll never be able to pay over RRP prices on one and thats the problem with the brand now...

Blog Entries
    Well done on getting your grail. He shoots he scores!!

Unfortunately I will be adding another ‘member’ to my ignore list - which is getting far too long. But it won’t be you OP.

Martyn.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Enjoy and congrats on both your wins.

Great watch!
    Glad you had a nice trip.

Craftsman
    This has brightened up my Friday - amazing stroke of luck (x2) congratulations OP!

Cheers
    Rory

What a great story, enjoy your watch. I'm sure you don't care about the ignorant comments on here, it will take far more than that to dull your mood on either front!

Many congratulations, what a night ! Nice too to see a +ve Rolex AD story for a change. You had the right attitude and it paid off - humility and appreciation go a long way.

[I'm assuming either halitosis not actually an issue or you went in "minty". ]

Craftsman
    And I'd written you off at both half time in the match and the moment you walked into the AD.. more fool me. Congrats on both wins!

I’ve long had the feeling that a genuine approach for a specific watch, would be met with a better response than going in and asking for any sports Rolex.

The staff can afford to be selective, as they are still assured of selling the watch within 2wks, I think.