closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Boosted Skateboards

Boosted Skateboards

Fancy trying a Mini X but they’re expensive. Has anyone tried one?

Boosted Skateboards

Are they the powered ones? I’ve seen a few folks on them - always looks like they are used by scrotes, same as for those stand-on Segway-without-a-handle things.

I skate, still, but my 40yr old knee cartilages are reminding me I should do it less perhaps....
    Maybe a powered one would be fun (although I like the look of those one-wheeled things. Like a racing go-cart wheel and tire with a platform to stand fore and aft, then lean forward or back to go/stop. They do about 40mph by the looks of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Are they the powered ones? I’ve seen a few folks on them - always looks like they are used by scrotes, same as for those stand-on Segway-without-a-handle things.

I skate, still, but my 40yr old knee cartilages are reminding me I should do it less perhaps....
    Maybe a powered one would be fun (although I like the look of those one-wheeled things. Like a racing go-cart wheel and tire with a platform to stand fore and aft, then lean forward or back to go/stop. They do about 40mph by the looks of it!

Yes, electric. I still have my leg powered deck but fancy trying something powered. While they are currently illegal to use on public roads I still think they could be useful for zipping through the park to the station in the mornings as well as chasing my kids around on their scooters. Best part of £1k is the sticking point!

Craftsman
    They're illegal to use in a public place as well not just on the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by DandyHighwayMan View Post
    They're illegal to use in a public place as well not just on the roads.
    They are indeed, though I’m sure the authorities have better things to worry about as long as you’re riding safely. I’m sure the law will be amended at some point.

Journeyman
    Own a Carbon Evolve GT.....wow....the most amazing fun I’ve ever had off the snow. Carved like a snowboard and the power is amazing. Acceleration as one would expect and a top speed of almost 40km/h on my all terrain wheels. Street wheels will increase that to in xs of 50km/h.
    Decent range from the massive battery.
    And I turned 50 today.....age should not be a barrier .

I see a fair few around the City of London lately. I haven’t noticed the Police taking any interest.

The most practical looking ones are the mono wheel ones. The size of the wheel should mean they can take the bumps in the road better.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    They are indeed, though I’m sure the authorities have better things to worry about as long as you’re riding safely. I’m sure the law will be amended at some point.
    As soon as somebody dies there will be a crackdown, it’s like drones, no rules and regs before they existed now you need a license and insurance (not that it stops people annoying others with them)

Journeyman

Boosted Skateboards

NZ seems to have a rule re not using them on public roads yet Lime Scooters can go anywhere including public paths in the CBD (Auckland Wellington Christchurch and Dunedin). I use my board to go to and from work on a mixture of quieter roads and paths so as to avoid too much attention. UK does have stricter rules though, presumably due to the culture of blame and compensation etc. My biggest frustration is the swarm of old people riding e bikes at speeds they certainly wouldn’t manage were it a conventional bike.
    I def wouldn’t recommend an electric skateboard, particularly the faster and more powerful ones unless one had a degree of experience as falling off does indeed cause pain, and potentially lots of it.

How do you break and accelerate?

BUBI 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by Matt London View Post
    I see a fair few around the City of London lately. I haven’t noticed the Police taking any interest.
    *waits for the first fatality*

The French take a more tolerant view. Last couple of times I’ve been in Nice the place was well populated with various powered scooter and board riders, all riding perfectly safely around pedestrians.

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    How do you break and accelerate?

BUBI 0_0
    You break if you fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    The French take a more tolerant view. Last couple of times I’ve been in Nice the place was well populated with various powered scooter and board riders, all riding perfectly safely around pedestrians.
    There are a few countries that take this approach now. There are also vids of boarders riding in London past police. I watched one yesterday where the guy stopped at lights on one of the cycle highways next to three police on bikes outside Houses of Parliament. They had a nice chat and went their separate ways.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    There are a few countries that take this approach now. There are also vids of boarders riding in London past police. I watched one yesterday where the guy stopped at lights on one of the cycle highways next to three police on bikes outside Houses of Parliament. They had a nice chat and went their separate ways.
    In Valletta the police themselves actually patrol the streets on Segways.

How do you BRAKE and accelerate?

BUBI 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    How do you BRAKE and accelerate?

BUBI 0_0
    I’m not sure, I would hope there is a brake button on the handset!

Journeyman
    Hand held Bluetooth pistol controller with index finger speed and thumb brake.
    Dead mans switch too!!

Craftsman
    As above, handheld controller. I think that the electric unicycles would be the most practical. I very nearly bought an InMotion V10 but I’m just not sure how much I’d use it. You really need £800- £1k for a decent one.

I’ve also found Slick Revolution which seems to rival boosted but are a U.K. company. Their Urban Kick board looks cool.

Master
    I'd really like a OneWheel. I saw one a while back coming down Cornhill in the City of London. YT video of New York make it look like every one is on OneWheels or Boosted boards. It seems a better bet for dealing with UK urban terrain (aka shit pavements and roads). You also don't need the hand trigger as it is all body weight shift control. Probably would be daft to have in my mid 50s but hey ho :-)

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I'd really like a OneWheel. I saw one a while back coming down Cornhill in the City of London. YT video of New York make it look like every one is on OneWheels or Boosted boards. It seems a better bet for dealing with UK urban terrain (aka shit pavements and roads). You also don't need the hand trigger as it is all body weight shift control. Probably would be daft to have in my mid 50s but hey ho :-)
    Age is only a number! In terms of poor surfaces, slick revolution come with two sets of wheels, one slightly larger that is apparently better for tougher terrain. They even work on grass though not as efficiently obviously.