closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: VIN plate help/advice?

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

VIN plate help/advice?

Hello chaps.

Wondering any of you can help this this conundrum. A lad at work bought a BMW X6 from a trader a few weeks ago on Ebay. The trader did the V5 online, but now the DVLA have asked the lad for pics of the VIN number. The VIN number on the windscreen is correct, but the ones in the door has been removed & the one under the bonnet has been scratched under. He paid a company to do a vehicle check, a pre-purchase inspection, they came back & said it was fine.

Now the kicker is, he bought it from Ebay whilst browsing the ads, and paid BT. He's no communication trail with the trader, it was all by text.

He's worried sick it's going to go to the great crusher in the sky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, he's absolutely distraught.

Cheers

Adam

This sounds not good!

Most of the online HPI checks will cover for this if the vin is provided at the time of the check but if it has been scratched off and not checked then I doubt they will!!

Definitely sounds criminal whats happened!

If it is from a trader he should have some legal recourse for sure.

He's no communication trail with the trader, it was all by text.
    How did he physically receive the car?
    Who was the BT made to?
    Does he not have any form of receipt?

More information is needed really if you're looking for help/advice.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I thought the only VIN number was the one in the front screen?
    The door I thought just gave you the options “if any “ and paint code

By law all cars made for EU market must have:
    -VIN permanently engraved on a non removable structure in the engine bay (normally tower top)
    -Engraved VIN plate, or tamper proof vin sticker on the body (normally by drivers door), this must also have the type approval number, body type and axle mass limits

The windscreen one is an optional security feature, but standard for all vehicle manufacturers.

If that's the only once present, I predict:

- The car is stolen
    -Screen has been cut out and the under glass label over stuck with a hooky label

If the V5 is accessible, check the engine number - if this also does not add up then I would be expecting issues.

If he paid for an HPI via a 3rd party inspector then this should be covered by either HPI, or profesional indemnity insurance of the checking co. If they didn't catch it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Did he select ‘buy’ through eBay or just find the add then text and buy? The reason I ask is I’ve recently been reading in to the consumer rights act 2015 on
    Moneysavingexpert and there is a bit that says ‘don’t think eBay is different’ so eBay may have some liability too. Worth a look at least.

https://www.vinnumberlocation.com/bmw-x6.html

Shows where VIN numbers should be located.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    On many cars, the vin can also be read from the ECU.

Grand Master
    I’ll never understand how people will buy a vehicle like this. Ebay’s fine, but anyone with any sense would travel to view the car before buying, and carry out the same checks as they would if buying from a local private seller. OK, it involves time and committment, with the risk and expense of a wasted journey, but it’s the only sensible way to deal.

Do your homework first and know what you’re looking for, then be prepared to put the effort in.

Hooefully this will work out OK, but it doesn’t sound good, the buyer’s been a bit naive to say the least.

Did somebody actually come out to do the pre inspection checks?

Master
    Stating the obvious but he's bought a cloned car- HPI will do nothing as the check has been carried out on a Bona fide reg number and car.

Scammer buys the stolen car, obtains a V5 for a similar X6 ( can be done will not divulge on here) uses this reg number for ads etc... innocent buyer carries out a HPI, uses the supplied reg number but unfortunately that will link back to legit X6 so no markers will show up.

Only recourse would be with the inspection company, they should check Vin numbers and pull the Chassis number from the ECU. Hopefully it's the RAC or AA, least they'll take a complaint seriously.

I'm sorry to say but it sounds like your friend has bought a 'ringer', the reg and vin number were used from from a legitimate car, and unless the hpi check was physically done by a 3rd party who saw the car, not simply data entered on line into the hpi system by your friend or the trader, then there is probably no good news ahead, this has all the hallmarks of a 'cloned car'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Ok very sad to hear your friends news must be feeling dreadful

As a main dealer we buy lots of stock and due diligence is vital we get approached by private’s wanting to sell their cars and whilst we do buy some most are rejected as they are wrong in one or several aspects be it dodgy fabricated service history or previous repairs or being on the hit list.....there is a lot of rubbish out there and very brazen people who are Oscar worthy at displaying shock when we give them our findings.

Your friend has used a 3rd party ‘expert’ to inspect the vehicle no doubt costing circa £300+ for that he should expect them to have as a minimum checked all VINS and Engine number and cross referenced to V5C.

They have a duty of care and if decent Inspectors with accreditation will have indemnity insurance against this occurrence

Go for them full chat IMHO.

Master
    Basic question, has he contacted the seller to see what they have to say on the matter.

I know it sounds really obvious when the inconsistencies are highlighted but ..... When I got my wife her first car, a knackered Nissan Micra from a dealer who trades from the pavement :) a few months later a friend pointed out that the VIN plate in the engine bay looked to have been glued in place which at the time knowing little or nothing about car hadn't spotted/realised.

Thankfully for me and the wife as it was a Micra that cost little money, if it was cloned/stolen nobody made a claim for it :)

Blog Entries
    Sad news coming for the buyer I think. Can't believe people part with large amounts of money to so called 'dealers' on eBay. If I couldn't go and see it at legitimate bricks and mortar premises, before parting with cash, I'd walk away. At best it will probably be a repaired write off, at worst a stolen car.
    Caveat emptor indeed.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    We really need more info on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    We really need more info on this.
    Yes, like why the DVLA have asked for pictures of Vin numbers.. they must have the vehicle flagged up for some reason or have multiple applications for the same vehicle.

Master
    Sorry for the lateness in getting back.

He left last work last night in good spirits, he rang the trader who told him he stands by the car & that it's an import. He said he was on his way to Stratstones in Leeds to get it all verified.

He's not been in work today. So I can only summise it's bad news...

I'll let you know the outcome/verdict as soon as I know.

Import or not all the vin numbers should be present.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Import or not all the vin numbers should be present.
    Agreed, then if the trader is as honest as he says he is, he should take the car back. I doubt it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by adam164 View Post
    Agreed, then if the trader is as honest as he says he is, he should take the car back. I doubt it, though.
    I may be cynical but I think that sometime soon the trader will go AWOL.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I may be cynical but I think that sometime soon the trader will go AWOL.
    Already crossed my mind.

Master
    Forgive my ignorance, but what would Stratstones do to verify the car.
    As has been said, if vin plates are missing or altered/changed/defaced in any way then this is an offence, especially when the vehicle has been sold on for a profit from a "so called trader"
    If it were me I'd be asking the seller to simply come pick the car up and refund fully, otherwise authorities will be notified, ( DVLA are already aware of it anyway by the sounds of it ).
    There are plenty of genuine X6's out there to choose from

Errrm, not sure that you have a grasp of the situation.
    1) A probably dodgy trader has sold a totally 'hooky' car.
    2) Said dodgy trader has probably lied and falsified the provenance of the car.
    3) From this you deduce that the buyer has 'recourse' against what?
    A stolen car, a cheating lying seller, falsified vehicle details,

Craftsman

I suspect

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Yes, like why the DVLA have asked for pictures of Vin numbers.. they must have the vehicle flagged up for some reason or have multiple applications for the same vehicle.
    they have received a request for a V5 in the new buyers name without having received any corresponding notice of sale from the registered keeper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    they have received a request for a V5 in the new buyers name without having received any corresponding notice of sale from the registered keeper.
    That being the case they might be very interested in this............

...... The VIN number on the windscreen is correct, but the ones in the door has been removed & the one under the bonnet has been scratched under......

Cheers

Adam
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Hello chaps.

Wondering any of you can help this this conundrum. A lad at work bought a BMW X6 from a trader a few weeks ago on Ebay. The trader did the V5 online, but now the DVLA have asked the lad for pics of the VIN number. The VIN number on the windscreen is correct, but the ones in the door has been removed & the one under the bonnet has been scratched under. He paid a company to do a vehicle check, a pre-purchase inspection, they came back & said it was fine.

Now the kicker is, he bought it from Ebay whilst browsing the ads, and paid BT. He's no communication trail with the trader, it was all by text.

He's worried sick it's going to go to the great crusher in the sky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, he's absolutely distraught.

Cheers

Adam

His local main dealer should (for a fee) be able to plug the car into the diagnostic system and it will provide the correct chassis number (which will probably not be the same as the one on the windscreen....)

Trader he bought from has possibly been scammed too....

If the car is stolen, it’s likely to be the property of an insurance company.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That being the case they might be very interested in this............
    Undoubtedly, hence their request in the first place. Historically this information would then be passed to a local police officer trained in autocrimes and the chap would be contacted to arrange an inspection.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk