closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone use Green Flag break down cover

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Anyone use Green Flag break down cover

For what I require break down wise my long standing RAC membership is £140, covers the usual, home start, onward travel + the usual roadside assistance.

Just checked Green flag for the same level of cover and its coming in at sub £50

I have a new car, well a year old and do about 6000 miles a year. Mainly daily commute and holidays. I think I have used the RAC twice in the last 10 years so not something that I expect to use much to be honest.

So, how do Green Flag stack up if you actually need to call on them for a break down?

Master
    I always check out Auto Express reviews on things like this. GreenFlag third which must be OK.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...own-cover-2018

I went with LV breakdown cover this year. I only go basic though, roadside assist. Paid £30.

We changed to Green Flag for our cars 5 years ago now, previously with RAC for decades but the fees were going up and up with them.

Haven't needed to call GF out, but my experiences with their Admin has been good, they proactively showed me how to 'rearrange' our cars listed with them in order to use their European cover on a car that was 12 years old. Given their price differences, we've already saved several hundred pounds over the time of our membership with them.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Previously, I always used the AA, it was a legacy thing passed down from my Grandad, I found them to become progressively more expensive and less helpful and eventually bit the bullet and switched to Green Flag after a recommendation from a family member.

I needed to call on their assistance after about 6 months and they were faultless, based on my limited experience I would happily recommend them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wife and I are covered by Green Flag, no issues in four years (and three call-outs)...

Plenty of companies out there that do the equivalent to RAC/AA comprehensive cover for sub £50.

I used to be covered by Green Flag; one call out when stranded on the M6 - sulky mechanic pitched up but I don't think that was their fault (issue temporarily fixed). Would use them again.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies guys.

As a quick update I have just spoken to RAC to cancel and after a lot of counter offers from themselves they dropped their renewal price from £142 to £80 + 3 months extra cover.

Close enough money wise for me to stay with them.

I always look upon that as an indication that they’re happy to screw every penny they can out of you as long as you don’t complain and would therefore, take my business elsewhere as a matter of principle.

What I usually do though (although not at the moment as it’s a new car which comes with cover), is switch between AA, RAC and Green Flag using topcashback to get the best deal. I think I got more cash back than I paid on one occasion!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    What I usually do though (although not at the moment as it’s a new car which comes with cover), is switch between AA, RAC and Green Flag using topcashback to get the best deal. I think I got more cash back than I paid on one occasion!
    I've found the AA very good on the few occasions I've needed to use them - you can call them directly from the app which shows them your location and you can track the technician as he is on his way to you. Green Flag also has an app but the RAC does not. I always buy through Topcashback but I swap between the AA and...the AA! One year in my name, next year in the wife's. The OP did well at that price but as a new customer he would have only paid £108 for his cover anyway (not £140) with 26.5% cashback making it £80 so to get it for that price plus 3 extra months is very good.

Master
    We have Green Flag cover but never had to use it yet( touch wood) reputation seems ok though, anew car only one year old, is that all the warranty it came with?

We use green flag as part of my CSMA membership....used them twice and both times they were quick and got us recovered without any issues.

Master
    One reason that AA and RAC are more expensive is that they mostly use their own personnel and vans, whereas Green Flag is a franchise operation where garage owners can set up as Green Flag patrols with discounted sticker packs for their vehicles. Not such a big deal normally, but it means the service can be a little variable - there are good garages and bad garages.
    If it is your wife/girlfriend stuck at the side of a motorway on a stormy night, would you like to her to be rescued by a signed up, DBS checked AA/RAC man in a marked van - or the lad from the garage in his borrowed Transit with a Green Flag sticker on the back? I have heard that Green Flag operators have a knack of fumbling the roadside repair and then towing you to their garage where they can do a "proper" and more expensive repair not covered by the limitations of their GF membership. I have heard this from a number of sources but I have no hard evidence that it's true however. I have seen both AA and RAC training centres in operation - their services are expensive for a reason.

Remember that everyone will report the bad things that happen with breakdown services and the good things usually go unreported. This puts a lot of magazine/press/hearsay reports in perspective. ALL these organisations have bad days

Green Flag rarely come top of the tree in comparative tests - GEM and Britannia Rescue usually occupy the top 2 positions. And Finally! - try not to break down on a bank holiday when the services are stretched to the limit.

Master
    Quite a few of them do a deal for sub £30 where you are covered but have to pay an excess for each call out. Ideal if you are looking for peace of mind but have a reliable car that doesn't normally need assistance.

I have been with Green Flag for some years now, via the Caravan Club (as was) Mayday scheme, and can't fault them.
    £102 p.a. but it covers trailers as well as tractors, so if any fault develops with my caravan or trailer (as opposed to the tractor) they will sort it. No other major recovery firm wants to know trailers.
    That covers me in any vehicle, plus my wife in any vehicle.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Pitfitter;5094508]We have Green Flag cover but never had to use it yet( touch wood) reputation seems ok though, anew car only one year old, is that all the warranty it came with?[/QUOT

Just checked and my car (VW) comes with 3 years roadside assist

Master
    Would recommend GEM Motoring Assist. Reviews are always very good and you get what you pay for! We have 3 people fully covered for c£160.

Funnily enough I had to call Green Flag out a week or so ago and had terrific service from them. Far better than I ever did with either the RAC or AA. They were fast, efficient and did the job well and the relevant back-up and support was faultless. I will definitely keep using them.

Master
    I've got greenflag through the co-op and have only needed them once when my battery was flat one morning.

I had to call them as I'd kipped at my mates and he'd no tools or jump leads at home and i wanted to buzz off.

Got my car going ok but he said they wouldn't come out again for a flat battery.

I've been with AA in the past but the one time i needed them, they were useless

I’ve used the RAC for the past 5 years with a van and car .I found the service very good ...

Journeyman
    I use AA but only tend to find the experience is down the individual driver who comes to assist rather than the company.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I live in a semi rural area - only one recovery company operating so it doesn't really matter who I'm with, just a case of deciding what level of cover I want.