closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wife has broke her Rolex!

Wife has broke her Rolex!

My wife’s DJ is broke.......

She took it out of the safe Saturday night to wear and has manually wound it what would appear far too much, the crown now just spins and doesn’t wind the watch [palm slap]

Do you think it needs to go back to Rolex for repair or shall I trust a reputable local shop to look at it?

Never experienced this before, watch was bought brand new around 4 years ago and is only worn occasionally, I definitely think it’s been over wound if that’s a thing!

Cheers

It can't be overwound as far as I am aware.

Sounds simply as if the mainspring has snapped.

I wouldn't send it back to Rolex unless there are other issues as it will cost you mega bucks. A local repairer should be able to sort at minimal cost.

If it is four years old, does it qualify for the Rolex 5 year warranty?

Master
    Is it definitely not under warranty. 5 year warranty I think started in July 2015? At that age I would get back to Rolex rather than independent

Thing is Rolex will charge north of £500 which she will not pay, to her it’s just a watch (which I bought her as a gift), and so will sit in the safe unused.

I’m happy for an Indy to fix if it’s something simple!

For an independent I'd recommend Duncan at Genesis, he's sorted out my wife's Rolexes 'mishaps' on several occasions.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Overwinding is a myth, it isn’t possible. Mainspring could’ve broken, but that’s unusual.

Suggest you contact a Rolex accredited Indy such as Bill Rice or Duncan Potter (Genesis).

My wife opted for an Omega Constellation for a big birthday 10 years ago, a smart move because I can service/repair it myself. I’m reluctant to touch anything Rolex, that even applies to my own stuff.

Broken

Broke is what you will be after the repair , but I’d still send it to Rolex .
    It’s due a service.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post

It’s due a service.
    After 4 years?

Get it fixed, sell it, buy her a quartz.

Craftsman
    Sounds like the stem has snapped off. It’s an easy fix for an indy. Happened to me on my oysterdate

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Broken

It’s due a service.
    This is what I would do as well.

It it is due a service in the next 12 months so I would just bite the bullet now.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    Sounds like the stem has snapped off. It’s an easy fix for an indy. Happened to me on my oysterdate
    If the stem had snapped I`d expect it to be obvious, and the crown would separate from the watch.

OP needs to decide whether to send it to a Rolex accredited indy or a non-accredited repairer. Either way it'll cost a few ££, there's a fault with the keyless work the dial and hands have to come off, if the mainspring's broken there's a fair amount of dismantling from the movement side, so there's no quick easy fix.

Unfortunately, if you buy a Rolex you have to accept Rolex repair costs, it goes with the territory, I wouldn't expect a watch of this age to develop a fault but this one has and there will be a significant cost in getting it fixed.

Master
    At four years old, irrespective of when the 5 year warranty kicked in I'd be back at the supplying dealers. Start by politely making your case but be prepared to make a big fuss. "I thought I was buying quality" etc. Pick a time when there are plenty of customers in.

We are talking about a four figure watch here.

Master
    I'd send it, or even better take it, to the UK Rolex service centre. I would expect some goodwill on a watch that young.

Should’ve left it in the safe, obviously too fragile to use. :—\

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Thing is Rolex will charge north of £500 which she will not pay.
    If it is under warranty, wouldn’t the repair be free? My Rolex is long out of warranty so I have no personal experience of making a claim from them, so maybe I am missing something.

Master
    Sounds like the secondary crown wheel is stuck in position and doesn't engage with the ratchet wheel. Quite common on the 2235 calibre when its been sitting still. An easy fix for a rolex experienced watchmaker if its the case, no need for a full service. The automatic winding isnt affected so she could just shake start it and start wearing it.

No warranty on it sadly and she will not pay for the service hence asking the question.

I will pop it to my local watchmaker who does Rolex, see what he thinks, thanks for everyones input.

Craftsman
    I sent my wifes DJ to Duncan at Genesis for a service and face replacement. First class service, great chap to deal with

Craftsman
    My GMT II with a broken date went to Duncan at Genesis Watchmaking. Unbeatable service, price, communication. He has my Omega super-quartz as we speak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    ... and she will not pay for the service hence asking the question.
    Love this - if I had bought my wife a Rolex and she broke it she would return it to me under the assumed lifetime warranty ;-)

Repair costs are on you!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Love this - if I had bought my wife a Rolex and she broke it she would return it to me under the assumed lifetime warranty ;-)

Repair costs are on you!
    Ha, I have one just like that. Even to the point that, when Lynn chooses one of her mechanicals to wear, she always passes it to me to wind, set the time and set the date! Apparently it's what men are for. At least with her quartz watches I only have to change the batteries every year or so.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    At four years old, irrespective of when the 5 year warranty kicked in I'd be back at the supplying dealers. Start by politely making your case but be prepared to make a big fuss. "I thought I was buying quality" etc. Pick a time when there are plenty of customers in.

We are talking about a four figure watch here.
    I’d have to agree with this. Given the cost of the watch, I would have to tell them it hadn’t lived up to expectations.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Ha, I have one just like that. Even to the point that, when Lynn chooses one of her mechanicals to wear, she always passes it to me to wind, set the time and set the date! Apparently it's what men are for. At least with her quartz watches I only have to change the batteries every year or so.
    Same life (and similar wife) by the sounds of it :-)

"use my car" when it needs fuel or cleaning.......etc etc

B

It’s uncanny Peter. I recognise all of this ...

Simon

Took the watch to my local guy, popped it open and a tiny screw has sheared inside, typical.

He's looking in to a replacement, if one cannot be obtained then it's back to Rolex (or in the safe as I cannot see her paying Rolex prices and I'll be damned if I'm footing the bill).

Grand Master
    At some point during ownership this watch would have needed servicing, one of you would've had to pay for that, so just think of it as paying early. A 4 year old quality watch shouldn't suffer failures but I doubt whether you'd get any goodwill from Rolex on this.

There's a cost of ownership associated with these watches and owing to the Rolex policy of only supplying parts to accredited repairers the cost will never be cheap.

This is a bit like saying ‘the car broke so we’ll leave it in the garage as it’s too expensive to fix’. So get the car fixed and sell it. But would you buy a car you couldn’t afford to service? Or a watch you’re too tight to fix? Stuff goes wrong - just a fact if life. In my experience it goes wrong more often if it isn’t used often enough. Just get it fixed - mind you if my wife never wears something expensive she sells it and buys something she prefers. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I had a wife like that. I offered her a birthyear Rolex (no quick date) and I had to set it up every time she wanted to wear it!

Now I am divorced and my girlfriend bought herself a Rado Quartz ;-)