closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Black Bay Bronze Discontinued...good time to buy?

Journeyman

Black Bay Bronze Discontinued...good time to buy?

Given that the Tudor Black Bay was officially discontinued as of April 2019, do you see this watch as a safe place to put a couple of grand at the moment?

I have considered buying one for a long time given how they are a bit different to most other watches in my sights due to the bronze. They also seem to develop a really nice patina over time which adds to the watch's character.

After hearing that they have been discontinued, I am filled with a new urge to buy one as I feel they could possible start climbing in value now too.

What are your opinions?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Buy it if you like it, but its not an investment imo.

Craftsman
    Its been replaced by another bronze model though so I can't really see it increasing in value as it was not limited edition. The black bay bronze bucherer edition seems a much safer bet imo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Its been replaced by another bronze model though so I can't really see it increasing in value as it was not limited edition. The black bay bronze bucherer edition seems a much safer bet imo.
    As well as being much better looking. The original is quite nice but very ... brown.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    This ^^^

Master
    It's just been replaced with a slate grey dial and bezel version, which looks smart to me.
    Investment? We can only guess, but you'll lose money initially on any black bay, except the Harrods special edition. How long that one will stay above RRP probably depends on how many get made.

Master
    The problem is the patination. Whilst this does appeal to some, it doesn’t appeal to many, and therefore there is a limited market when the sold starts to age

I have owned a couple, as I love the look when new, but don’t like it when it dulls, and therefore will not buy another - famous last words right there!

Master
    I gave up trying to sell one on here...

I think it has a lot going for it as a long term buy - the colour wouldn't appeal to that many buyers, the size might limit a lot of potential buyers, and bronze wouldn't appeal to others etc. So, a model that hasn't been about for too many years and probably a small ish overall production compared to most of sports watches.

if you would would wear it and enjoy it, then there are a lot worse places to put a couple of grand. I always said i would sell mine after i picked up a Bucherer edition version, but I quite like the different looks, so probably here to stay for a while.

Far too often these days all we need is for some virtually unknown to all but the young "influencer" to start hyping something and the prices rocket - so who knows. I can't see it being crazy money any time soon though - so probably just a good buy, only if you really want/wanted one.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I would second the above. I got mine about 18 months ago as a work beater and have to say that it is a great watch. I put it onto a black NATO with bronze hardware and it wears very well, a great diver IMHO.
    I would not view it as an investment, however one never knows where prices may go in the future.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Regarding the patina and preference for the non patinated finish, surely occasional application of a duraglit polish would keep it shiny? It's pretty gentle, maybe I'm wrong but I'd have thought it would be many many many polishes before it leads to any loss of sharp lines. No? It would be tough to do in any crevices like the crown knurling though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Regarding the patina and preference for the non patinated finish, surely occasional application of a duraglit polish would keep it shiny? It's pretty gentle, maybe I'm wrong but I'd have thought it would be many many many polishes before it leads to any loss of sharp lines. No? It would be tough to do in any crevices like the crown knurling though.
    It is your last sentence that worried me when it came thinking about refinishing it

Blog Entries
    I don't think bronze watches are that popular. Not a good investment imo.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Niche interest and certainly not an investment piece for me.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    +1, OP seems preoccupied with investment potential, it's a mistake in my opinion, if you like it buy it and if you don`t like it don`t buy it. Who knows what any of them will be worth in a few years time?
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 7th May 2019 at 19:11.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Most watches are poor investments, plus there is the risk the whole pack of cards could collapse in years to come with the indifference of the next generations attitudes to mechanical watches.

If you like it buy it and wear it ... no other reason to buy a watch.

Unless of course you stumble across a SS Daytona in a window at RRP.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    +1, bronze watches make little sense to me!

Not an investment. Plus the watch which supercedes it is far nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Niche interest and certainly not an investment piece for me.

Those points don’t always seem to matter in relation to why some watches rise in value and others don’t. But, it was the first Bronze Tudor watch and I seriously doubt it’s about to start dropping further in value now it’s discontinued - I just doubt it will rise that quickly in the short term, but who knows.
    It's just a matter of time...

It has a limited appeal and if it’s going to be of an investment piece, it needs to be minty and a safe queen.

I think time will be kind to it. The particular bronze alloy Tudor have used is not one that tarnishes by going green and crusty; it just seems to gently darken whilst maintaining some sheen.
    I have one the initial ones and over 2 years of very regular use has not marked it otherwise; it's an understated looking piece now the bling has dulled out of it.
    Add in it was the first in-house Tudor movement - and a good one at that - (certainly since brand relaunch if not period), and I think it's one that could just become sought after in future years...