closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Warranty - Jaeger LeCoultre (JLC) new 8 year warranty!

Journeyman

Warranty - Jaeger LeCoultre (JLC) new 8 year warranty!

JLC just announced that they will offer 8 year warranty from mid May of this year. Existing watches with the 2 International warranty are also eligible for an extension.
    The new industry standard! I suspect other brands will react and Rolex may hit the 10 year mark some time in the future.
    Opinions?

Is that not more of an attempt to make buyers purchase from AS’s rather than grey market dealers as JLC watches tend to go for quite a bit of a discount?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Is that not more of an attempt to make buyers purchase from AS’s rather than grey market dealers as JLC watches tend to go for quite a bit of a discount?
    I got 25% at an AD for my JLC Polaris.
    I think it's mainly to increase service times as JLC become more mainstream. That way they don't get overwhelmed by servicing work. Just a guess.
    Last edited by tcy148; 7th May 2019 at 08:24. Reason: don't get*

It's one way to try and sell a watch I guess.

Once my favourite brand, and having owned 10+ I haven't seen anything I fancy for quite a few years now...

JLC needed to do something, given how rotten their reputation for QC and after sales has been.

Bought my Milgauss from Watches of Switzerland and the sales chap mentioned that in near future, they will be offering the customers 5 years warranty on the top of Manufacture 5 years warranty.
    I forgot to ask if that was only for Rolex or all the watches they sell.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Had a brief read up about this earlier today. It seems the extension for current watches will extend to any still within their 2 year warranty period, subject to registering with JLC via their website, which can be done from 15/5/19.

It appears to be free. Initially it sounded like there may be a charge but it sounds like it will extend it to 8 years from the start of the original warranty without additional charge.

Not sure if it will extend to another person if the watch is sold etc, as personal registration seems to be required.

I'll certainly be taking advantage of it by registering before 5/6/19, which is the date my original 2 year warranty would otherwise expire. Perfect timing for me for an extra 6 years warranty😀

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Had a brief read up about this earlier today. It seems the extension for current watches will extend to any still within their 2 year warranty period, subject to registering with JLC via their website, which can be done from 15/5/19.

It appears to be free. Initially it sounded like there may be a charge but it sounds like it will extend it to 8 years from the start of the original warranty without additional charge.

Not sure if it will extend to another person if the watch is sold etc, as personal registration seems to be required.

I'll certainly be taking advantage of it by registering before 5/6/19, which is the date my original 2 year warranty would otherwise expire. Perfect timing for me for an extra 6 years warranty
    Thanks for that

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Thanks for that
    And thanks to the op for bringing it to our attention. I may well not have spotted it in time for 5th June otherwise and lost the opportunity for a significant additional warranty....

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    JLC needed to do something, given how rotten their reputation for QC and after sales has been.
    My first thought was, is being tied to JLC service centres for longer actually a good thing?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    My first thought was, is being tied to JLC service centres for longer actually a good thing?
    My first thought was that more brands will probably go this way now, if only to improve the perception of value and service.

In the not too distant past where many luxury watches fell in to the £1 to £3k price bracket, a standard 2 year warranty was a reasonable proposition.

I imagine the average rrp across Rolex, omega (5 yr warranty) and now JLC is probably somewhere between £5 and £10k, and brands probably need to provide more long term reassurance to encourage people to part with an ever increasing lump of cash.

Brands at the lower end of the luxury market/ price range may still stick with 2 years and those at higher average price points move towards longer warranties??

As to the quality of service, time will tell I guess, but the quality and longevity of the watches in the first place will have a direct correlation I am sure!

Journeyman
    I can't think of anything negative about this new 8 year warranty. Imagine the scenario: you've been wearing your Master Control for 7 years and find the time keeping has gained 10 seconds per day (which isn't a lot) but that already warrants a claim - JLC will fix it free of charge.

My Polaris date, which I've been wearing daily since I got it 2 months ago is currently at around +5 seconds per week. It's the most accurate thing I've had. Even more so than my Explorer 214270 which gains around 2 seconds per day.

Master
    You have to register with JlC to get it which means they know who buys their watches and can aim promotions and advertising to customers and steer them to online buying in the future, direct from Richemont thus increasing sales and margins.

Quote Originally Posted by tcy148 View Post
    I can't think of anything negative about this new 8 year warranty.
    To be clear, this was purely a joke referencing the past reputation of their servicing department

Craftsman
    Great move by JLC. I’m lusting after an Ultra thin master moon phase watch and this just encourages me to buy one even more!

It won’t do them any harm either and in my eyes shows how confident they are with their watches

This is a great move. Increase confidence in the brand. Underpin the perception of quality. Hopefully means they have to invest in and focus on the service levels provided by their service/maintenance teams!

They used to say the oil used in the movement degrade over time and recommended to service every 4/5 years ? How can they suddenly extend the life of oil by 8 years ?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by poko View Post
    They used to say the oil used in the movement degrade over time and recommended to service every 4/5 years ? How can they suddenly extend the life of oil by 8 years ?
    When was this? People say synthetic oils are so good these days they can last a decade.

This is good news indeed. Whilst there are a couple of jlc’s on my wish list I do hope some other brands soon follow

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by tcy148 View Post
    When was this? People say synthetic oils are so good these days they can last a decade.
    I've looked at several brands and this is my findings:-

IWC
    We recommend that you have a complete service carried out approximately every five years.

Breitling
    A complete service is recommended every 4 to 6 years

Omega
    we recommend that you have the water resistance checked once a year and a complete service performed every 5 to 8 years.

TAG
    Carry out a TAG Heuer complete overhaul every 4 – 6 years to ensure the proper functioning of your timepiece

Oris
    Oris watches require careful treatment together with a full service every three to five years

Hamilton
    we generally recommend that a complete maintenance service should be carried out every three (3) to five (5) years.

Bremont
    We recommend that you have a maintenance service carried out at least every 3-5 years.

Rolex
    It is recommended to service your Rolex approximately every 10 years depending on the model and real-life usage.

JLC
    The frequency of maintenance checks varies and above all depends on the model, terms of use and climate. As soon as the rate of the watch begins to show substantial variations

Master
    Can you point-out where Rolex recommend a service interval of ten years? Not anecdotes from others, but an actual written piece of advice directly from Rolex. I don’t think it exists.
    They actually go out of their way to avoid specific recommendations. I’d be happy to be shown wrong, but I’ve looked, and looked....
    Some ADs quote ten years, but ask them where that’s written and you won’t get an answer.
    Last edited by paskinner; 9th May 2019 at 12:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Can you point-out where Rolex recommend a service interval of ten years? Not anecdotes from others, but an actual written piece of advice from Rolex. I don’t think it exists. They actually go out of their way to avoid specific recommendations. I’d be happy to be shown wrong, but I’ve looked, and looked....
    Looked and looked?!

Googling that very phrase - 'It is recommended to service your Rolex approximately every 10 years depending on the model and real-life usage' - takes you straight to Rolex's FAQs @

https://www.rolex.com/services/faq.html

- where the answer to the question 'How often do I need to service a Rolex?' is as quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Looked and looked?!

Googling that very phrase - 'It is recommended to service your Rolex approximately every 10 years depending on the model and real-life usage' - takes you straight to Rolex's FAQs @

- where the answer to the question 'How often do I need to service a Rolex?' is as quoted.

Thanks, that's where I got the quote from......

All good information, thanks to those who have found and shared it.

A warranty is different from a service interval isn’t it?

I think that offering to repair ‘all manufacturing defects’ for 8 years is impressive to me. If I recall correctly, the terms of the current JLC warranty don’t require the owner to have the watch serviced during the warranty period.

Indeed a warranty is different from a service interval.

I think the clue is “Up to 8 Years”. I’m sure they have book of excuses not to honour the warranty….

I’m also interested to know why they give 8-10 years manufacture warranty when it comes out of factory, but they only give 1-2 year(s) warranty followed by the full/complete service ? Are they not using the same knowledge, know-how, material, parts and QC ? No confidence ? or just marketing gimmick ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Looked and looked?!

Interesting because that must have been added recently; and ‘depending on model and real life usage’ undercuts it. Which models need more service? Do dive watches need different treatment? How long will seals stay water resistant ? How about the Daytona or a Yachtmaster?
    If your Submariner leaked after nine years, would Rolex repair it free? I rather doubt it. And if it needed regulation within ten years, do you think that would be free? The Rolex caveats give them an easy ‘out.’ They actually offer just a two years guarantee on serviced watches.
    I’ll have my DD40 serviced every six years or so. Ten years for a complex mechanism seems asking too much, modern lubricants and seals or not.
    Last edited by paskinner; 9th May 2019 at 14:18.

Master
    Interesting because that must have been added recently; and ‘depending on model and real life usage’ undercuts it. Which models need more service? Do dive watches need different treatment? How long will seals stay water resistant ? How about the Daytona or a Yachtmaster?
    If your Submariner leaked after nine years, would Rolex repair it free? I rather doubt it. And if it needed regulation within ten years, do you think that would be free? The Rolex caveats give them an easy ‘out.’ They actually offer just a two years guarantee on serviced watches.
    I’ll have my DD40 serviced every six years or so. Ten years for a complex mechanism seems asking too much, modern lubricants and seals or not.
    (Indeed, fwiw I agree with much of that, but you asked where Rolex had spoken of ten years, so I simply showed where.)

Master
    But will you pay the £50 you owe the fundraiser now? Or actually since a few years...

Craftsman
    Just added my watch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks for another timely reminder. It had slipped my mind again already!!

Just registered my reverso and interestingly it has an expiry date of 8 yrs from today. My original 2 yr warranty was due to expire in June 19, so c10 yrs total. I'll take that thanks very much😊

Master
    Also in.😀

Master
    To be clear, this was purely a joke referencing the past reputation of their servicing department
    Its still pretty bad.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post
    Just added my watch
    Pictures needed! These are lovely, I had a look at the new Chrono but couldn’t get away with the lack of seconds. The auto is a great looking thing.