closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 189

Thread: Line of Duty - did you partake?

  1. #101
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    11,962
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Don't think Carmichael is linked to the OGC, her performance was so obvious as to be probably a red herring.
    I have to say her (Carmichael's) performance is both excellent (in portraying that arrogant know-it-all, I'm-better-than-you type) and dreadful (in that she's either blatantly crooked or totally incompetent - Either way, would she ever have reached such a high rank?).

    I felt this week's episode fell to bits after last week's excellent one.

    Why did Flemming run from the scene of Ryan's shooting? She was totally in the right, so what was all that about?

    It didn't make any sense to me, but maybe it will in due course (maybe AC12 are setting Carmichael up to expose herself and the 4th man? They certainly seemed ready to follow her wherever she went).

    It's still watchable TV, but I felt it lost some credibility last night.

    My bet is the series will end with Hastings moving to the south coast to work on a pier checking the coins being put into the arcade machines.

    M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  2. #102
    If strings are being pulled to move Hastings on then those same strings will be placing Carmichael, either because she's one of them or it's felt she's less competent than Hastings in concluding the whole affair.

    Maybe!

  3. #103
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    954
    Never looked so forward to watching the final episode of something.

    Few thoughts from me:
    - The Spanish copper looked very much like James Nesbitt and I canít believe the beeb would have him in a show to be killed immediately
    - Bodies on the floor in the Spanish villa - could these be from the fridge that was used to store people in during the early episodes. Also, the fridge was confirmed moved in one of the episodes a few weeks ago
    - Morse Code is a theme throughout: Interrogation on Sunday, Dot sending message with his fingers whilst dying on the floor
    - We all know Dot is a nickname (Matthew) because his surname is Cottan (EastEnders heavy fag smoker) but does this link to the above Morse Code theme in some way
    - Iím still convinced thereís someone who we think is dead actually isnít and that they are H.
    Last edited by gavsw20; 27th April 2021 at 09:30.

  4. #104
    I thought there was something odd about the length of time the Spanish policeman's face was held in the shot of him, never occured to me it could be James Nesbitt though! Didn't pick up on the possibility that the desk-tapping could be morse code either.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  5. #105
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    954
    Desk tapping with pen = 4 dots = ĎHí in morse code.

    Yeah, have a look at the Spanish officers eyes / eyebrows. Definitely have a JN feel to them plus the accent was terrible.

  6. #106
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,059
    I noticed the desk tapping by Carmichael but if that's Morse Code then I think it's a step too far in terms of plot as maybe 1% (if that) of the population would be aware.

  7. #107
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I noticed the desk tapping by Carmichael but if that's Morse Code then I think it's a step too far in terms of plot as maybe 1% (if that) of the population would be aware.
    Which would be the exact reason why theyíve included it.

  8. #108
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    northern ireland
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    You canít speak Iíll of Kelly McDonald if youíve seen Trainspotting.
    Seen it. Didn't like it.

    I have to say, she was better in the last episode. No make up, vulnerable, played it well.

    Still absolutely clueless as to what's transpiring to be honest. If there's only one episode left then I'm worried it's going to be one hell of an anti climax.

  9. #109
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    38,522
    Thurwell is not dead..............
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  10. #110
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,059
    Agreed, Jimmy Nesbitt didn't agree to be in the show as a photograph!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Thurwell is not dead..............

  11. #111
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,059
    There's a balance to be struck on things like that and I think if it's too obscure then what's the point of having it there?

    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Which would be the exact reason why they’ve included it.

  12. #112
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sunny Grantham, UK
    Posts
    5,907
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    There's a balance to be struck on things like that and I think if it's too obscure then what's the point of having it there?
    Long-term viewers have seen the video of a dying Dot tapping his fingers so there is a link there if you pay close enough attention

    I didn't, mind you, but will impress my wife when I tell her 'my' theory tonight.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Long-term viewers have seen the video of a dying Dot tapping his fingers so there is a link there if you pay close enough attention

    I didn't, mind you, but will impress my wife when I tell her 'my' theory tonight.
    This, plus the fact that the writers know that the small percentage that did pick up on the more code H will spread the word, as per example in this thread. That then creates theory, counter theory and general engagement with the programme - it's an Easter Egg, basically.

  14. #114
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kent/SW London
    Posts
    1,430
    Didn't pick up on the morse code either, thanks!

    Also, is it just my hearing or do they keep calling her 'Hugh Davidson' rather than Jo?!

  15. #115

    Surely this was Nesbitt leaving his faked death on Sunday?
    Mmmmmmmmm thatís my take.....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #116
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,059
    DSU is Detective Superintendent.

    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Didn't pick up on the morse code either, thanks!

    Also, is it just my hearing or do they keep calling her 'Hugh Davidson' rather than Jo?!

  17. #117
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kent/SW London
    Posts
    1,430
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    DSU is Detective Superintendent.
    Ahhh! Thank you.

  18. #118
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I have to say her (Carmichael's) performance is both excellent (in portraying that arrogant know-it-all, I'm-better-than-you type) and dreadful (in that she's either blatantly crooked or totally incompetent - Either way, would she ever have reached such a high rank?).

    I felt this week's episode fell to bits after last week's excellent one.

    Why did Flemming run from the scene of Ryan's shooting? She was totally in the right, so what was all that about?

    It didn't make any sense to me, but maybe it will in due course (maybe AC12 are setting Carmichael up to expose herself and the 4th man? They certainly seemed ready to follow her wherever she went).

    It's still watchable TV, but I felt it lost some credibility last night.

    My bet is the series will end with Hastings moving to the south coast to work on a pier checking the coins being put into the arcade machines.

    M
    Well, they needed the drama, so this was plot-driven, but the cover given as a character action was that Fleming didn't think she could trust anyone anymore so went on the run.

  19. #119
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Berks
    Posts
    1,687

  20. #120
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    11,962
    Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    Well, they needed the drama, so this was plot-driven, but the cover given as a character action was that Fleming didn't think she could trust anyone anymore so went on the run.
    Seemed ridiculous to me - Where was she going? With Davidson? Who had just lured her to be murdered?

    No, sorry, the credibility of the whole series took a massive hit for me this week.

    That said, aside from 30 minutes of 'No Comment', it's still enjoyable and I'll be back next Sunday for the finale of this instalment, just to see how it pans out.

    M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  21. #121
    'Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the wee Donkey'.

  22. #122
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wiltshire UK
    Posts
    352
    Anyone else noticed that, despite having served in the RUC from 1982 to 1989, Ted Hastings doesn't wear the RUC Service Medal.🤔

    Solved it ;)

  23. #123
    Journeyman TomRea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    124
    Roll on Sunday


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  24. #124
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    674
    Per a beeb interview earlier with DI Arnott they always do the interviews as single takes, even the super long no comment job.

    Which is maybe why Carmichael stretches her face right at the start of it, thinking sheís not in shot, but they cba redoing just for that

    Series 6 is first Iíve watched - start at the beginning?


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  25. #125
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Per a beeb interview earlier with DI Arnott they always do the interviews as single takes, even the super long no comment job.

    Which is maybe why Carmichael stretches her face right at the start of it, thinking sheís not in shot, but they cba redoing just for that

    Series 6 is first Iíve watched - start at the beginning?


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    100% yes. The entire series has links and nods to previous stores and characters.

  26. #126
    SWMBO has watched every series but this is my first, so I decided to go and start with the 1st series. However, she's ended up watching them again with me and is seeing stuff that's relevent to the current plot.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  27. #127
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    309
    .

    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

  28. #128
    Journeyman TomRea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    124
    I canít wait for Sunday .... eagerness


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  29. #129
    Master unclealec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,948
    Interesting snippet from Craig Parkinson on BBC Breakfast just now.
    "If you have invested from season 1 in the main trio of characters - be prepared".

  30. #130
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Interesting snippet from Craig Parkinson on BBC Breakfast just now.
    "If you have invested from season 1 in the main trio of characters - be prepared".
    Interesting! Out of the three Fleming seems the squeakiest clean what with Arnotts painkillers and Hastings maybe stealing cash for that widow, so maybe itís her.

    But then she didnít need to have stopped Pilkington by the reservoir. Roll on Sunday!

  31. #131
    Master unclealec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    4,948
    I am expecting more of an exit than an outing.

  32. #132
    Craftsman enndriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Newcastle UK
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I am expecting more of an exit than an outing.
    Agreed my money is on demise of one of the 3 main characters in final showdown with OCG / 4th man


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #133
    Master bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,839
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy! View Post
    .

    Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    I'm interested in the morse code and the tapping of Carmichaels pen in the interviewing of Jo Davidson!

    She was keen to move the sway of the interview away of Hastings pushing for more info of the Fourth man and she said was keen to tie it up with Davidson .

    She was supressing it for some reason.


    They can draw this H/fourth man out til the cows come home. It's like spectre or scooby doo!


    Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bond; 30th April 2021 at 10:09.

  34. #134
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,059
    Thoughts on the finale?

  35. #135
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    38,522
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Thoughts on the finale?
    Setting up for a second series.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  36. #136
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere near Manchester Airport
    Posts
    706
    WTF? Is that it? Buckells, really (definately)?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using TZ-UK mobile app

  37. #137
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,059
    Seventh series!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Setting up for a second series.

  38. #138
    Master jimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    home of the "PARMO"
    Posts
    7,353
    Never been so disappointed in an ending ever, wish I had never watched it, total crap ending.

  39. #139
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    38,522
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Seventh series!
    Sorry, 'another'.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  40. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by philjopa View Post
    WTF? Is that it? Buckells, really (definately)?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using TZ-UK mobile app
    Iíve been thinking H is Hastings all season and was sure he was going to be outed this eve.

  41. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Setting up for a second series.
    7th?

    Felt like it went out with something not much more than a wimper to be honest - the trailers for the last episode created the impression that the finale would be more exciting than it was, not that it was completely devoid.

    I'm not so sure it was being set up for a following series either, though I'm sure that the writers could find a way. Mind you, Hastings has appealed his forced retirement, Arnott's pain killer addiction didn't see him being nerfed out and Fleming said she'd return to an AC role...

    The final episode scores a 6.5/10 from me with my money being placed on LoD done and dusted.
    Last edited by CardShark; 2nd May 2021 at 22:33.

  42. #142
    Master village's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Posts
    9,780
    It was a decidedly average ending to say the least.

    The decision to reveal the fourth man as being the most wooden actor in the entire six series was terrible.

  43. #143
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,059
    He was a truly atrocious actor.

    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    It was a decidedly average ending to say the least.

    The decision to reveal the fourth man as being the most wooden actor in the entire six series was terrible.

  44. #144
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    38,522
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    It was a decidedly average ending to say the least.

    The decision to reveal the fourth man as being the most wooden actor in the entire six series was terrible.
    Nobody has been outed.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  45. #145
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14,059
    Carmichael is still shifty AF for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Nobody has been outed.

  46. #146
    Master village's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Posts
    9,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Nobody has been outed.
    ?????

  47. #147
    Master smokey99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ex Pat North East - Now SE London
    Posts
    1,359
    Told you it was a load of old tosh.

    No big meaningful big reveal, no big payoff, no surprise that anyone cared about.

    10 million viewers and thatís what they offer us.....Buckles.

    Keep milking that cash cow.....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #148
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    38,522
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    ?????
    Do people not read previous posts?

    You said that 'the fourth man has been revealed as the most wooden actor in series six' - nothing has been revealed.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  49. #149
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    38,522
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Told you it was a load of old tosh.

    No big meaningful big reveal, no big payoff, no surprise that anyone cared about.

    10 million viewers and thatís what they offer us.....Buckles.

    Keep milking that cash cow.....
    Nothing has been offered - keep up.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  50. #150
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,046
    Mother of that wee donkey, that was a poor ending. Sadly Buckells does make sense as he was there from season 1 but to make him the criminal mastermind or H that had so been built up over the years was terribly misjudged writing, Osbourne or Carmichael, tho obvious and not a twist, would have served better. Hopefully Jed will now write a season 7, he was probably hoping 6 would be enough, but the universal reaction to this awful ending, which is similar to Game of Thrones, might make him carry on or ruin the legacy of ten years of a great show.

    It is worth noting that it is really hard to end long time great series well, Game of Thrones, Sopranos, Dexter, Sherlock, Lost, Only Fools and Horses, even Breaking Bad. Fawlty Towers and the Office had it right.
    Last edited by aksing; 2nd May 2021 at 23:02.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information