closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Long Term Watch Storage

Long Term Watch Storage

I’ve bought a watch for my sons 40th birthday.. it’s eight years away from his 40th... Not so much great planning... just something came up and was too good not to buy..

Do I just store in the safe with a bag of silica and hope everything goes ok?
    Do I put it on a watch winder and run for 8 years?
    Do I service now before I store away?
    Do I service just before his birthday?

I’ve never had to store watches without actually using them.. All this hassle... Kinda feel I should just keep it for myself now..

I’m sure this has come up hundreds of times.. so apologies in advance.. I’ve had a quick search around.. but nothing definitive has come up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it will not be worn for 8 years I would just put it away and service it before you give it to him.
    The only caveat would be if a battery powered watch I would remove the battery before placing in to storage. A leaking battery will play havoc with a watch movement.

Master
    Just give it to him now. Why wait and deprive him of eight years enjoyment.

Wear it yourself for the next 8 years then have it serviced before you give it to him.

Otherwise, store it and have it serviced in 8 years time. I don’t see any point in servicing now and then storing away.

Either way, I’m sure he’ll be very grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I was thinking the same thing...
    No doubt his mum will con me into buying something else on his actual birthday..

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Classic example of the standard TZ UK form of advice

Question: I've chosen to do A. Which is the correct method for doing this, B or C?

Reply: Don't do A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Classic example of the standard TZ UK form of advice

Question: I've chosen to do A. Which is the correct method for doing this, B or C?

Reply: Don't do A.
    Please note the response of the OP.

Journeyman
    I would suggest put it away but manually wind it or pop it on a watch winder every month or so for a bit. Keep it working don’t just leave it for 8 years.

Journeyman
    If it’s a mechanical watch surely there can’t be any harm in letting it sit? There must be watches that sit for long periods of time at the dealers? I can’t imagine them winding or rotating them periodically? I know the hot ones never sit on a shelf but less desirable pieces may sit for a very long time between manufacture and eventual sale to a customer?

Gaz

Grand Master
    Agree 100%, I don't see the point in making a fuss over so-called 'landmark' birthdays anyway.

As for storage, Keep it somewhere dry and avoid temperature extremes. After 8 years I would check how it's running on a timegrapher and if all looks well I`d use it for a couple of years. The alternative is to have it serviced.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrisimo View Post
    I would suggest put it away but manually wind it or pop it on a watch winder every month or so for a bit. Keep it working don’t just leave it for 8 years.
    Give us one good reason why running it every month will be of benefit? If anyone can give me a plausible reason why running the watch every few weeks is advantageous I`m always willing to learn, but personally I cannot see it.

When a watch is oiled, the oil stays where it's put, there's no advantage in moving the oil films regularly.......it's not like a car engine!

I would expect most of the lubrication to be fine after 8 years; the higher viscosity less volatile oils are unlikely to evaporate of undergo change. However, the lighter oil used on the balance pivots and escape wheel pivots may not fare so well and could potentially be more prone to evaporation. However, this would be exacerbated by running the watch because the oil films are being agitated.

My experience tells me that a watch needs servicing less often if it's worn infrequently compared to an everyday wearer.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 6th May 2019 at 14:20.

Put it in a time capsule and dig a hole in your backyard and bury it. Have him dig it out on his 40th and if it is a nice watch, he will be happily surprised:-)

Disassemble, store as parts and service before birthday.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    +1........be sure to store the parts in a sealed container with silica gel. Give the watch to him as a kit of parts to assemble, if he questions this tell him it's a stretch target to assist his personal development as he embarks on middle age.

Apprentice
    Eight years is a long time, and unfortunately bad things sometimes happen.
    I agree that you should give it to him now. He will know how much you care now, and as a bonus he gets to enjoy eight more years with it :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1........be sure to store the parts in a sealed container with silica gel. Give the watch to him as a kit of parts to assemble, if he questions this tell him it's a stretch target to assist his personal development as he embarks on middle age.

Ahhhh! Don’t talk to me about stretch targets! Thank goodness I will have retired from my current job before I get assessed on annual targets.

As regards the watch: as said above - wear it yourself for 8 years then get it serviced - it will then have connection and some significance to you - his father. Downside is - you can’t wear anything else

Martyn.

Blog Entries
    Give him the watch now, and have it serviced as a present in 8 years time. Simples.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Life to short give him the watch.

Master
    Combine all these suggestions.
    Give to him now disassembled and tell him he has 8 years to master watchmaking after which he will have a very nice 40th birthday present and a new career option

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Thanks for all the suggestions.. I’m going to give him the watch now.. I’m pretty much a live for today type of guy... so stuff the special birthday nonsense..

I have to say the wife is pretty upset I’m not breaking apart and making earrings...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Tell him what watch your giving to him in 8 years time,that way he's unlikely to buy the same himself.He may say he's not interested in either that particular watch or a watch at all!.If the latter keep the watch for yourself,very nice.........buy him a 24 pack of lager from Aldi for his 40th,choose a premium lager if you sit and share the lagers.

Sounds like a win win to me..

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Tell him what watch your giving to him in 8 years time,that way he's unlikely to buy the same himself.He may say he's not interested in either that particular watch or a watch at all!.If the latter keep the watch for yourself,very nice.........buy him a 24 pack of lager from Aldi for his 40th,choose a premium lager if you sit and share the lagers.

Craftsman
    Give him a car .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybug View Post
    If it’s a mechanical watch surely there can’t be any harm in letting it sit? There must be watches that sit for long periods of time at the dealers? I can’t imagine them winding or rotating them periodically? I know the hot ones never sit on a shelf but less desirable pieces may sit for a very long time between manufacture and eventual sale to a customer?

Gaz
    I agree. I think the modern oils are quite resilient

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    8 years is a really long time to have a watch just sat there doing nothing! I’d definitely find an interim use for it, whether it be for him or yourself to use on occasion, or as others say give him the gift now, or at least save it for a less distant birthday.