closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Which pair would you keep?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • IWC and JLC

61 52.59%
  • IWC and GS

34 29.31%
  • JLC and GS

21 18.10%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rationalisation quandary

Craftsman
    The two vintage watches win for me. Both are lovely.

Craftsman
    Whatever you do, do not let go of the 666 please :)

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I couldn't participate in the poll as my option is not there- keep all three.
    Bikes are a sign of midlife crisis and it shall pass. Watches will be there for ever.
    Unless 30% of your BSA ( body surface area ) is covered with ink, or you are big and hursuit ( which you are not ) the fascination for bikes will end soon ( purely my opinion but as good as any scientific data  ). Watches are a much more classier pursuit and a more durable passion.
    There is a definite cross over with motorcycles and watches from classics/vintage to super high tech modern sports/race bikes. I would say watch collection is a sign of a true mid life crisis but at least a watch won’t try and kill you like many of the bikes I have owned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    There is a definite cross over with motorcycles and watches from classics/vintage to super high tech modern sports/race bikes. I would say watch collection is a sign of a true mid life crisis but at least a watch won’t try and kill you like many of the bikes I have owned!

Buy more motorcycles

Journeyman
    IWC and GS for me but it ain't an easy one.

The two oldies to stay I would say MR T!

But if you wanted to dump either I’d be in line?

Hope you are well?

Hmmm... so as it stands at the moment - and not based on pairs - the voting would be:

IWC - 71
    JLC - 57
    GS - 40

In terms of pairs:

IWC and JLC - 44votes - 52.38%
    IWC and GS - 27 votes - 32.14%
    JLC and GS - 13 votes - 15.48%

Thanks for the input, everyone... much appreciated. It confirms my thoughts regarding the IWC, which would certainly be one to keep at the moment. Given that I won't take more than one of them over to Tenerife anyway (I'll only take five or six in total) the only decision really is whether I want to risk going over there with a very old watch as I have no idea what the state of play is when it comes to watchmaker/servicing capabilities.

Given that uncertainty, I suppose the sensible decision would be to let the JLC go for now, and then plan to take the GS over to Tenerife when we move. It's a beautiful watch anyway, so not really a problem when push comes to shove.

Sell whichever raises you enough cash to buy a dirt bike; you’ll want one as soon as you get to Tenerife!

Morning Tony. For what it’s worth I’d get rid of the GS, but that’s probably because I still struggle to position the brand correctly on my head....

What I’m intrigued by is your starting point for this whole rationalisation process... that you’re only going to take half a dozen watches with you when you relocate to Tenerife. Why? From my fuzzy recall of your last SOTC I get the impression that you probably own between 10 and 15?- if that’s the case why not take them all? It’s not like they take up much space...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Morning Tony. For what it’s worth I’d get rid of the GS, but that’s probably because I still struggle to position the brand correctly on my head....

What I’m intrigued by is your starting point for this whole rationalisation process... that you’re only going to take half a dozen watches with you when you relocate to Tenerife. Why? From my fuzzy recall of your last SOTC I get the impression that you probably own between 10 and 15?- if that’s the case why not take them all? It’s not like they take up much space...

Simon
    Good question, Simon.

Life over there will be very different and far, far less cluttered. I'm going to take the opportunity to simplify all aspects of my life and will in the main spend my time walking, running, swimming, motorcycling, taking photographs and drinking good coffee. Owning fifteen watches doesn't really fit in with that mind-set (in fact, six would probably be a few too many).

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Unless 30% of your BSA ( body surface area ) is covered with ink, or you are big and hursuit ( which you are not ) ...
    How dare you on the non-hirsute statement - Tony has quite hairy arms.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    What a sweeping and condescending statement. ...
    Hardly condescending?!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ...will in the main spend my time walking, running, swimming, motorcycling, taking photographs and drinking good coffee.
    These read like the words of someone who has pretty much got things sussed.

Master
    For me, dress = vintage, so I'd keep the IWC and the JLC (which is an absolute beauty btw!)

Incidentally, if you were thinking of selling the JLC.....

Sell all three and get that Diavel for the Summer

Keep the two birth year and sell the GS. Impossible to source maybe but if your interest in watches has waned, better to keep something that has real sentimental value.

Master
    As a pair it would be the IWC and JLC. If it was just keeping one rather than a pair then it would definitely be the IWC.

Rationalisation quandary

Thanks again for all the interest and advice/comments, guys... much appreciated.

I'v had a few messages and questions about what the final six heading out to Tenerife might look like, so thought I'd share my thoughts on this (and they've changed a little as I've dwelt on it a bit more. At present my collection looks like this.

As things stand at the moment, then, these are the six earmarked for a new life by the sea:

The two I'm not sure about are the Fifty Fathoms (which could be replaced by the Sea-Dweller in terms of them being almost like for like) and the Navitimer (which is jostling for position with the Panerai 512). The FF is so lovely that it could easily be an only watch, and it's also extremely limited; it would seem to be a shame to let it go. I also love the 512, so that could sneak in when push comes to shove.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 11th May 2019 at 17:28.

I’d stick with the FF and the Navitimer personally. The FF is just a little different and you already have three Rolex in the lineup inc the 5513. I’m not a fan of Pam so would keep the Breitling. Saying that if you let the Navi go I reckon my dad would love to add it to his collection, he’s always hankered after a Navi.

Looking at your pre-selection Tony I would say your FF sticks out a little. I know it's Rolex heavy but those are exceptional watches & more versatile than the FF. The remainder when considered together have an overall balanced feel (I know this'll sound like nonsense) and are watches that will endure in both time and in your interest.

Of the 3 pieces that inspired this post I like the IWC least but as part of your Tenerife collection it is IMO the more coherent choice.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I would keep the FF, they’re such lovely watches and I barely anyone wearing them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

From That line up there Tony you would be covered perfectly. For me and it’s only me I’d have the sea dweller in for the FF.

Do Quartz count? I could see a use for the Aerospace by the sea!? And in my eyes quartz are not counted. Same as Gshocks

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    If it were me I'd keep all three and sell the bike, you fool.
    this

From these three would just pick one; i love 1960 IWC Ingenieur 666 AD. t

I too spend more time tinkering with my Harleys than my watches these days...

I’d keep the JLC.

Must meet up for a ride out T

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    I too spend more time tinkering with my Harleys than my watches these days...

I’d keep the JLC.

Must meet up for a ride out T

That would be great, James - let me know when you're around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    I would keep the FF, they’re such lovely watches and I barely anyone wearing them.
    ...and so under the radar

Master
    Tony, you have a real breadth and depth to your collection that only comes about organically, having probably tried 10 times as many watches as you currently own I'd imagine? Each one in your current collection the result of careful and informed thought and selection with any superflous watches already gone, so quite how you're going to manage to whittle it down to just 6 will be very interesting to watch!

Oh and purely on aesthetics the IWC is a clear leader for me of those three.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 16th May 2019 at 13:50.