closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tech diving gear and gas mixes

Master

Tech diving gear and gas mixes

I gave up tech diving a few years ago, and finally got around to sorting the gear out to sell or give to some one that might use it.

Amongst the apparently dozens of cylinders, I found a couple marked up as 9% O2, and then one with 5% O2.

I can’t for the life of me think what I was diving with a 5% mix, I’m going to have to see if I can find some log books to give me a clue.

Amongst the gear I found pretty much a complete set of Aquacorps magazines (I know that will mean something to at least one person on here), discs with Pro planner and Sheck Exley’s deco programmes, my tool belt with lump hammer, chisel and a pair of Stilsons, our homemade laminated tables, an Otter and an OThree suit with pee valves, an Inspiration rebreather, about a dozen Poseidon cyklons and jetstreams and a portable gas mixing kit.

Those were the days!

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    I gave up tech diving a few years ago, and finally got around to sorting the gear out to sell or give to some one that might use it.

Amongst the apparently dozens of cylinders, I found a couple marked up as 9% O2, and then one with 5% O2.

I can’t for the life of me think what I was diving with a 5% mix, I’m going to have to see if I can find some log books to give me a clue.

Amongst the gear I found pretty much a complete set of Aquacorps magazines (I know that will mean something to at least one person on here), discs with Pro planner and Sheck Exley’s deco programmes, my tool belt with lump hammer, chisel and a pair of Stilsons, our homemade laminated tables, an Otter and an OThree suit with pee valves, an Inspiration rebreather, about a dozen Poseidon cyklons and jetstreams and a portable gas mixing kit.

Those were the days!
    I can only imagine that your 5% mix was you on a 100m plus dive using your CCR with a wish to get the PPO2 down rapidly should you need to. I still have loads of old regulators and other kit in crates in the garage that I must get around to getting rid of at some point.

Master

Those were the days!

You found a unit "among" lol. I still have the fins mask and a backplate left, dont miss it at all. The only thing that would tempt me back would be TRUK

I’ve no idea what you’d use a 5% mix for either!

Would be interested in find out the answer.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Those were the days matey!!

What is the diluent in the cyls? He I presume?

May be just to store the He for a trip and keep the contents a bit safer than neat He to be subsequently used later by adding some more o2 via booster?
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 5th May 2019 at 20:19.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Those were the days matey!!

What is the diluent in the cyls? He I presume?

May be just to store the He for a trip and keep the contents a bit safer than neat He to be subsequently used later by adding some more o2 via booster?
    They were indeed the days!

It was helium, mostly, but it was a trimix. It was in a 3 for the Boris marked up for diving, and I think it must have been for the Egypt which is about 130m-140m to the seabed. Must have been a reason cos even at that it’s only .7bar or so ppo2. Long bottom times and hours or deco so maybe just keeping ppo2 down.

I’ll see if I can find some tables which correspond, out of interest.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Also found Sheck Exley’s pamphlet, “A blueprint for survival”!

Glad I never read it

It was helium, mostly, but it was a trimix. It was in a 3 for the Boris marked up for diving, and I think it must have been for the Egypt which is about 130m-140m to the seabed. Must have been a reason cos even at that it’s only .7bar or so ppo2. Long bottom times and hours or deco so maybe just keeping ppo2 down.

Odd one for sure, .7bar is very low (as you say).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Hi Martin. Following our discussions during the Bremont visit I'm now wondering if we met previously whilst diving the Egypt. I'd have to check my logbooks for dates and I don't have them available right now. That said I didn't record mixes used in my logbook though I do recall advice to use a diluent that could bring down the PPO2 rapidly which would make sense. The tables/profiles were generated by DERA/QinetiQ though I largely used Z-Planner (now V-Planner) and a couple of Hydrospace Explorer computers.

Craftsman
    Also found Sheck Exley’s pamphlet, “A blueprint for survival”!

Glad I never read it

If only he had followed his own rule 3 given how he died doing something utterly pointless down a dark hole.

I would add a Rule 11, never dive in caves beyond being able to see with natural day light, so limit yourself to cavern diving.
    All cave divers will die in a cave at some point, it is just a matter of timing.

'At the back of the booklet is Exley’s Blueprint for Survival. Ten recommenda*tions for safe cave diving that are as relevant today as the day that Sheck wrote them.

1) Always use a single, continuous guideline from the entrance of the cave throughout the dive.

2) Always use the ‘third rule’ in planning your air supply.

3) Avoid deep diving in caves.

4) Avoid panic by building up experience slowly and being prepared for emergencies.

5) Always use at least three lights per diver.

6) Always carry the safest possible scuba.

7) Avoid stirring up the silt.

8) Practice emergency procedures with your partner before going diving, and review them often.

9) Always carry the equipment necessary for handling emergencies, and review them often.

10) Never permit overconfidence to allow you to rationalise violating safety procedures.'

Master

I think this solves it, it was heliair, not trimix.

rough kit inventory so far:

21 cylinders
    2 dive rite wings, 1 Halcyon wing, 1 OMS wing
    10 Poseidon and Apeks regs in various configurations
    6 pairs of fins including cave fins and the big Force fins
    10 cave reels
    1 pink snorkel
    some kind of high pressure manifold thing, that I can’t work out what it’s for
    1 positive pressure O2 kit
    1 set of portable mixing gear
    A number of big lift bags
    a Dacor Viper 2nd stage, that fits onto an LP hose, for some reason I can’t recall
    Mrs Berins Inspo
    2 wetsuits for some skinny bloke

next up for opening is the box of lights, and analysers and stuff.
    Last edited by berin; 6th May 2019 at 18:32.

Master
    I fibbed, actually, I did read it. Luckily, I also mostly did what it said (apart from the deep diving part) and so didn’t die, unlike, as you say, most cave divers.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    If only he had followed his own rule 3 given how he died doing something utterly pointless down a dark hole.

I would add a Rule 11, never dive in caves beyond being able to see with natural day light, so limit yourself to cavern diving.
    All cave divers will die in a cave at some point, it is just a matter of timing.

'At the back of the booklet is Exley’s Blueprint for Survival. Ten recommenda*tions for safe cave diving that are as relevant today as the day that Sheck wrote them.

1) Always use a single, continuous guideline from the entrance of the cave throughout the dive.

2) Always use the ‘third rule’ in planning your air supply.

3) Avoid deep diving in caves.

4) Avoid panic by building up experience slowly and being prepared for emergencies.

5) Always use at least three lights per diver.

6) Always carry the safest possible scuba.

7) Avoid stirring up the silt.

8) Practice emergency procedures with your partner before going diving, and review them often.

9) Always carry the equipment necessary for handling emergencies, and review them often.

10) Never permit overconfidence to allow you to rationalise violating safety procedures.'

I fibbed, actually, I did read it. Luckily, I also mostly did what it said (apart from the deep diving part) and so didn’t die, unlike, as you say, most cave divers.
    He said all cave divers, but I think we’ve established his somewhat loose grasp of facts, truth and reality.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I have a shorty for some skinny bloke in my kit too!
    I miss him.
    Cheers..
    Jase