closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Hikvision CCTV

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Basic question - does standard cat 5 support Poe?

Where would one typically mount cameras on a two story house? Just below the facia on the brickwork?
    Yes Poe will work, just uses standard cable.

As for mounting, obviously out of reach but wherever will give the best view.

Craftsman
    Whilst all those wide angle shots look great and might make you feel warm and cosy, you aren't going to get decent mugshots of any perps who choose to wander round your property day or night.

Adjustable zoom to get up close and personal is essential as well as one or two general wide angle shots for perspective. I have 6 of my 8 cameras zoomed in close to hotspots whilst only two provide the sort of wide angle coverage in those examples above.

CCTV42 are a good firm to deal with and they have a useful set of videos explaining the rationale for zooming in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52pItZIBTgY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyfnAvHRVME

Master
    Does anyone have a close up of camera so I understand how the Ethernet is connected into it.

I assume the mount will wrap over the cabling securely and push fit into rear of unit?

I’m looking at hikvision but will look at other suggestions. Useful thread chaps!

This is from a Hikvsion dome camera

It’s not deep enough to sit over the connectors they would need to go into a connection box or in the soffit t

Master
    Fantastic. That is so helpful. Much appreciated

Ideally you want cams mounted at around 8ft upto a max of around 10ft. Cams fitted to the soffit will only capture the tops of heads.

I mounted all my cams on a junction box, even the ones that didn’t need it. The thought being it should be easier should I ever need to get to the cables and the box provides some level of water proffing.

Master
    Before you spend £300 to £1k fitting cameras just sit down & see how your £20 standard lock compares with a £53 to £69 lock. (This price is for locks only which if you already have door with Ultion lock is all you need)

This was eye opening for me & one reason I now have this locking system on my doors before looking at cameras.

https://youtu.be/D-b4q_hg4KU
    Last edited by g40steve; 16th August 2019 at 09:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Our HIK 7600 series 4ch NVR is installed in the loft and we access via phones and laptop. However, getting a new NVR this weekend as the other one gone duff.
    What happened to the NVR?

We access ours via the phone app too, but from time to time it goes offline, with the logs saying "Abnormal Shutdown".
    We've replaced the HD, the unit itself, the power supply, but it still occurs. Ruled out weather and electrics in the home (all other devices are fine).

Searching on Google, it seems to be a very common issue with Hik Vision CCTV NVR setups but no real answer, it seems.

Master
    Thanks for all the help so far. Can anyone recommend third party wireless IP cameras that work the Hikvision system? I'm looking for some (budget) cameras to be used internally to complement the outdoor Hikvision cameras.

Craftsman
    Whilst we're on the subject of Hikvision, I came home to mine making strange beeping noises, it seems like 4 or 5 beeps, so it's telling me something, but can't work out what.

Because it's not recording or showing the HDD in the config, I've assumed it's that, that's faulty, has anyone got experience of swapping HDDs in a Hikvision DVR, is it complicated? Do they take any/most SATA hard drives?

Craftsman
    Where would one typically mount cameras on a two story house? Just below the facia on the brickwork?
    Not unless you want to record the tops of people's heads. See the links I already provided to ideal camera positioning (You Tube CCTV42 channel).

Master
    Recent fitted quote;

4 X DS-2CD2365G1-i 6mp cameras
    4 Chan NVR
    All cables, truncking, setup & ipad/pnone setup
    £950

Where has everyone got there cameras sited for best coverage?

Location of cams will vary according to the layout of your house. Ideal height is around 8ft to 10ft else you’ll be capturing the tops of heads.

Master
    I've taken a look at my cameras today and junction boxes. These are to be mounted on a vertical wall but with the junction box they seem to protrude massively, is the junction box the usual way of wall mounting these?

Craftsman
    I've taken a look at my cameras today and junction boxes. These are to be mounted on a vertical wall but with the junction box they seem to protrude massively, is the junction box the usual way of wall mounting these?
    The jb goes by the side of the camera. As far as possible, mount the jb over the hole where your cables come through the wall of the house.

I’ve learnt the following while siting cameras. Have a specific purpose for a camera and site it to address that. Sometimes you’ll want to protect an asset, building access in the near distance, garage etc. It’s no good having a big wide angle view if the garage door if you see two blobs approach and force the door, you need to be tight. I guess that’s why PTZ pan-tilt-zoom cameras exist where they are monitored otherwise they’ll be the wrong zoom pointing in the wrong direction. I would choose and site them to optimise one major task. Any other coverage is a side-benefit. I needed to capture faces coming up a main path, behaviour in a reception area including attempts to use a door lock keypad, and a tight shot of a specific asset outdoors. I needed a general car park view. No need for number plate level resolution. All these different tasks required different focal lengths and specific siting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    The jb goes by the side of the camera. As far as possible, mount the jb over the hole where your cables come through the wall of the house.
    Are you sure? The supplier and YouTube videos all suggest that the turret camera is mounted on top.

Installing Hikvision CCTV

Are you sure? The supplier and YouTube videos all suggest that the turret camera is mounted on top.
    You can do it either way but with the pigtail from the cam being short you would be limited in terms of the distance from the junction box plus you’d have a cable (possibly) visible if the cam is mounted to the side/top/bottom of the junction box.

I have all my cams mounted on the junction box, yes it does mean that the cam protrudes a bit more from the wall but in some case that can help get a better view when angling the cam especially at night when the IR comes on as you want to avoid it reflecting off the walls. That inch can make a big difference.
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 24th August 2019 at 18:58.

Craftsman
    The problem I found is sealing it all up. The jbs I use are plastic with grommets to keep out the rain. The cameras are well sealed so prefer to have the jb adjacent to the camera for ease of access/exchange. The cameras I use are metal so fix more rigidly to a brick wall and less susceptible to wobbling in a breeze than if they were extended from the wall on a jb.

As for the wires, a determined scroat is going to get in anyway, 90% of all this is deterrent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    You can do it either way but with the pigtail from the cam being short you would be limited in terms of the distance from the junction box plus you’d have a cable (possibly) visible if the cam is mounted to the side/top/bottom of the junction box.

I have all my cams mounted on the junction box, yes it does mean that the cam protrudes a bit more from the wall but in some case that can help get a better view when angling the cam especially at night when the IR comes on as you want to avoid it reflecting off the walls. That inch can make a big difference.
    Thanks - good to know I'm not making a school by error!

Master
    Thanks for all the help so far. Can anyone recommend third party wireless IP cameras that work the Hikvision system? I'm looking for some (budget) cameras to be used internally to complement the outdoor Hikvision cameras.
    Anyone any thoughts on internal wireless cameras to use with the Hikvision pvrs?

Master
    Having my system fitted Monday, having alarm box replaced with new led strobe version as well.

Master
    Well took roughly eight hours to fit,
    New alarm box with LED & strobe,
    DS-7600 NVR with Seagate 2TB Skyhawk drive,
    4 x DS-2CD2365G1-I cameras,
    Outside cabling run in conduit & very pleased with quality of finish & fit.
    Now have front door, side extension & back door & other side of extension views. Set up for motion capture & all bushes & trees excluded from recording.
    Will up load some shots when I get some time over next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Well took roughly eight hours to fit,
    New alarm box with LED & strobe,
    DS-7600 NVR with Seagate 2TB Skyhawk drive,
    4 x DS-2CD2365G1-I cameras,
    Outside cabling run in conduit & very pleased with quality of finish & fit.
    Now have front door, side extension & back door & other side of extension views. Set up for motion capture & all bushes & trees excluded from recording.
    Will up load some shots when I get some time over next few days.
    What brand alarm did you go for and is it integrated with the cameras? Thanks.

I'm rewiring my house and trying to figure out what cctb/security /doorbell system to go for.

I currently have the Ring doorbell and can't stand it, find it so buggy and unresponsive as to be almost unusable.

I'd really like to know from people who have the Hiqvision system whether it is fast and stable enough to provide reliable motion sensors of people coming and going to the house, so replacing the Ring?

I've seen there is Hiqvision doorbell but it's wifi only, is the system otherwise power over ethernet hardwired?

Is there an alarm system which can be integrated with it?

Thanks very much.

I see that Hiqvision now owns Pyronix and Pyronix have external IP cameras which can be integrated with the alarm system. Only WiFi but inboard SD card so looks like it would do the job? I'd rather have a single system.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I'm rewiring my house and trying to figure out what cctb/security /doorbell system to go for.

I currently have the Ring doorbell and can't stand it, find it so buggy and unresponsive as to be almost unusable.

I'd really like to know from people who have the Hiqvision system whether it is fast and stable enough to provide reliable motion sensors of people coming and going to the house, so replacing the Ring?

I've seen there is Hiqvision doorbell but it's wifi only, is the system otherwise power over ethernet hardwired?

Is there an alarm system which can be integrated with it?

Thanks very much.
    I looked at the ring door bell but decided just to have a camera by my front door, just switching inputs on my tv gives views all round my house if required.
    The talking doorbell would worry me as we have all seen the adverts, what are you going to do from your sunbed abroad as someone puts your front door through??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    What brand alarm did you go for and is it integrated with the cameras? Thanks.
    Just changed the alarm bell box as original was badly faded & new one is very bright & being LED cheap as chips to run.

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    I looked at the ring door bell but decided just to have a camera by my front door, just switching inputs on my tv gives views all round my house if required.
    The talking doorbell would worry me as we have all seen the adverts, what are you going to do from your sunbed abroad as someone puts your front door through??
    I've had the Ring for a while and find it very frustrating, almost useless. By the time it has pinged the AWS server in the States the Amazon driver has stroked the door and run off.