closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car buying advice

Master

Car buying advice

I have found a car at a independent local dealers at a reasonable price, less than a year old so still over 2 years of manufactures warrentee left
    The colour is right as is the spec but i have concerns.

First he does not have the V5 he says as the car was ex Motorablity this could be the reason it was lost, but i would have to apply for a copy.
    The car is on Northern Irish plates so I will need to register it with the DVLA in Swansea
    I dont think there would be any warrentee issues with the car being first registered in NI but you know what car companies are like.

What do the assembled TZ brains think?

Master
    Have you asked him why he hasn't sent off for the V5 & registered it with the DVLA?

Won’t a replacement just arrive at the previous owners address? What car is it? Unless it’s something special is it worth the hassle?

Master
    He said he had not applied for a copy V5 as he had to wait a certain amount of time
    It is nothing special its just about £1200 cheaper than main dealers want for ther same car

Not an expert but can a change of ownership be done without a V5?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Not an expert but can a change of ownership be done without a V5?
    Yes it can. The V5 only tells you who the keeper is, not necessarily the owner.

Master
    You would have to fill in a V62 form and will take roughly 6 weeks to be processed by the DVLA- If the car has been 'passed to trade' i.e. Previous owner has notified the DVLA that they have sold the vehicle to a garage then you'll be able to tax it at a post office, if it hasn't then you won't be able to tax until the V5 comes back.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Easy to apply for a replacement v5, and the warranty should be fine.

New v5 doesn't have the previous keeper details due to data protection.

I would get the hip check done and ask the dealer for confirmation that they have the right to sell the car.

Ultimately though, if you aren't comfortable it will niggle you so find another car.

Don’t think there is any legal reason to take the NI reg off it. We’re all part of the UK and plenty of GB reg cars over here in NI.

Of course you may prefer a GB reg but don’t forget the NI reg won’t display the age of the car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post
    He said he had not applied for a copy V5 as he had to wait a certain amount of time
    It is nothing special its just about £1200 cheaper than main dealers want for ther same car
    I'd walk away. Sounds like something not quite right. Is there something on the v5 he doesn't want you to see?

Also, why is he selling £1200 cheaper than the dealers?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I'd walk away. Sounds like something not quite right. Is there something on the v5 he doesn't want you to see?

Also, why is he selling £1200 cheaper than the dealers?
    The car could've been bought at an ex-mobility vehicle auction, if so a lot of them don't come with logbooks, you apply to the dvla, which is perfectly normal.

Most probably selling it £1200 cheaper as people are suspicious of vehicles without logbooks, as your post testifies .. I do love irony:D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    The car could've been bought at an ex-mobility vehicle auction, if so a lot of them don't come with logbooks, you apply to the dvla, which is perfectly normal.

Most probably selling it £1200 cheaper as people are suspicious of vehicles without logbooks, as your post testifies .. I do love irony:D
    I understand what you mean, but to me there are so many cars for sale it doesn't seem worth worrying about.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I understand what you mean, but to me there are so many cars for sale it doesn't seem worth worrying about.
    I thought there would be loads to choose from but the only other i have found with a similar spec is £14900 from a supermarket that is miles away or 1 at a main dealer for £15990 who wont budge on price.

You might have problems taxing the vehicle if you don’t have the V5C. Normally, if you buy a car, you can use the reference number from the New Keeper slip to tax the vehicle but without that, I wouldn’t know how you’d tax it at least until the new logbook came once you’d complete the V62.

Could you not get the dealer to tax it?

That’s what I did when I purchased my last car, simply added the cost of taxing to the overall price, in fact I got them to also transfer my private plate over as well, again just added it to the cost.

Craftsman
    Don't touch it with a barge pole, the dealer should sort out the paperwork and not be so lazy.
    Why would you want to take on any or expose yourself to any risk !
    Why waste any of your valuable time on trying to sort this out ?

Journeyman
    NI plate will make no difference, the only reason to replace it with a uk reg is if you don't like the look of it. Many people take UK plates off when buying cars on the mainland and bring them over here for that reason, but it isn't a legal requirement.

As I recall, Motability hang on to the V5 until it is sold. It is possible they still have it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I know a fair few dealers (assuming you're looking locally to you).
    If you want to PM me the name of the garage and I'll see if it's one I'm aware of either in a good or bad way!