closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A watch for a visit to Antarctica

Journeyman

A watch for a visit to Antarctica

Evening all,
    I am lucky enough to be visiting Antarctica this December to run a marathon, and feel i need an appropriate watch to take with me. Is the Rolex Explorer II with Polar dial really the only game in town? Having not seen it in the flesh, I like the look of it, and think it is probably reasonably priced (in this ridiculous climate) in case i don't like it and need to onsell it...but i'm not sure i really love it. Perhaps i need to experience it before making a call on it. I have slim wrists (6.5inches) so 40mm is as big as it gets for me and already have an Explorer I (36mm) which is of course a contender.
    Would anyone have any other options? Rolex or otherwise?

Alaska Project, I was reminiscing about mine the other day 👍

Master
    https://www.ice-watch.com/en

Gotta be something from this range.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Longines provided watches for the French polar expeditions in the forties and fifties, why not be cheeky and ask them for a free watch in return for some publicity?

... or a polerouter.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Wow! Fantastic opportunity.
    It's got to be one of these IMHO. And about the right size I would have thought.

Chronometer with 300m WR and a "traveller" GMT to boot. Being close to a pole you will no doubt be crossing some time zones.
    Good luck with your epic adventure!

A

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    ... or a polerouter.
    Funnily enough, i just bought a Polerouter... (posted on the Incoming thread earlier!)
    I fear it's a little too delicate for this mission though.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Longines provided watches for the French polar expeditions in the forties and fifties, why not be cheeky and ask them for a free watch in return for some publicity?
    Now I like that idea...!

If you fancy something a bit different, try googling Yema Bipole.

https://sg.carousell.com/p/nos-yema-...tica-92372211/

The wristwatch was commissioned by explorers Dr. Jean-Louis Etienne and Will Steger for their 1989 International Transantarctic Expedition. (Dr. Etienne is the first man to reach the North Pole alone, pulling his sleigh and walking for 63 days over the 800 kilometers, from the northern edge of Canada. Mr Steger is the fourth person ever to reach both poles,)
    There are a few different variations on the polar exploration theme:

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Longines .... ask them for a free watch in return for some publicity?
    Quote Originally Posted by john_coburg View Post

Now I like that idea...!
    ii

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    If you fancy something a bit different, try googling Yema Bipole.

Yema are also back in business, reissuing some of the brand's iconic designs of the past - Superman, Rallygraf, Navygraf, Rallye Mario Andretti, etc. - you could also try them for a sponsorship deal.

Blog Entries
    It would have to be this one surely?

Bremont Endurance. Already worn in Antarctica - apparently.

Named in honour of Shackleton’s most famous expedition - one which saw him rescue his entire crew after his ship ‘Endurance’ was crushed in the sea ice - the route of which Ben was retracing solo, the name is of course also a nod to the company maxim of being ‘Tested Beyond Endurance’. Shackleton getting his men back alive is one of the greatest stories of human endeavour and leadership, qualities Ben has certainly demonstrated over his twelve expeditions in the polar regions, having covered more than 7,000km north of the Arctic circle and South of the Antarctic circle since 2001. Naturally, the timepiece had to be able to withstand the extreme climate conditions of the Antarctic continent, being worn on the outside of Ben’s jacket to serve as a crucial navigational device with its GMT hand. Limited to 300 pieces, its black dial together with its robust bi-directional rotating sapphire bezel features orange compass heading markers and complements the North indicator on the GMT hand, all designed for ease of navigation and clarity against the stark white of Antarctica.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th May 2019 at 07:55.

Landmaster

Citizen Promaster Mission Antarctica if you can find one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As a complete curveball,
    This project is still going and I'd be over the moon if you'd consider taking it with you?

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...keTime-Project

I need to update the tread with the latest travel adventures which I shall endeavour to do this weekend.

Sinn Arktis or Arktis II.

A marathon you say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a thread here a while ago linking to another thread on WUS where they were initially very sceptical of a member’s tales. It turned out that he ran expeditions to both poles and had a great collection of Rolex watches.

I remember him commenting once that the black dial Explorer II was more legible in those conditions than the polar dials.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    As a complete curveball,
    This project is still going and I'd be over the moon if you'd consider taking it with you?

I need to update the tread with the latest travel adventures which I shall endeavour to do this weekend.
    Now that would be an excellent choice.
    It would have been to every continent then!!!!

citizen mission antarctica if you can find one

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Landmaster
    Exactly - there was also a version designed for use in the Antarctic too if I remember correctly.

Journeyman
    Could I suggest taking a bog standard Tissot or Hamilton along too to see if they are up to the task? I think it would be interesting to see if the much more expensive options are really 'tool watches' built for the task or over engineered marketing.

I was going to suggest bremont endurance but been beaten to it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Are you after practicality or historical connection? Smiths, IWC or, for a real curveball, Tianjin Seagull all have history. However, for a mparathon, I’d always say something titanium - a nice highly legible Citizen perhaps.

Oh, and how did the Zenith turn out? A short review with pictures would be wonderful.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

A watch for a visit to Antarctica

Evening all,
    I am lucky enough to be visiting Antarctica this December to run a marathon, and feel i need an appropriate watch to take with me. Is the Rolex Explorer II with Polar dial really the only game in town? Having not seen it in the flesh, I like the look of it, and think it is probably reasonably priced (in this ridiculous climate) in case i don't like it and need to onsell it...but i'm not sure i really love it. Perhaps i need to experience it before making a call on it. I have slim wrists (6.5inches) so 40mm is as big as it gets for me and already have an Explorer I (36mm) which is of course a contender.
    Fantastic! Is that the marathon operated by White Desert? Or the Ice Marathon?

I only know about these as my wife wanted to run one down there. In the end cost was proving prohibitive (and the one on the island didn’t appeal) so she opted for the Yukon Arctic Ultra and roped me in to do it somehow!

On the watch front, I wore a Suunto style watch when I was in Antarctica, but admit a Polar Explorer does seem a rather good fit as an alternative..

Pic from the Yukon below, it was -46c that evening!

I wore a BLNR for the Yukon and also the official TZ UK holiday watch! I recommend a fabric strap though- the wrist with the steel bracelet definitely seemed to give me a slightly colder area.

Whichever watch you choose please do report back! And good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by IdiotAbroad; 5th May 2019 at 19:23.

The 1950's Nivada 'Antarctic', nothing else will do...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    Stunner!

Though I like Kallang’s idea of taking along a Hamilton or similar to see how it performs. Tudor Oysters survived the North Greenland Expedition in the 50s with distinction. Could a modern three-hander that today you’d wear to the office do the same?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Fantastic! Is that the marathon operated by White Desert? Or the Ice Marathon?

I only know about these as my wife wanted to run one down there. In the end cost was proving prohibitive (and the one on the island didn’t appeal) so she opted for the Yukon Arctic Ultra and roped me in to do it somehow!

On the watch front, I wore a Suunto style watch when I was in Antarctica, but admit a Polar Explorer does seem a rather good fit as an alternative..

Pic from the Yukon below, it was -46c that evening!

I wore a BLNR for the Yukon and also the official TZ UK holiday watch! I recommend a fabric strap though- the wrist with the steel bracelet definitely seemed to give me a slightly colder area.

Whichever watch you choose please do report back! And good luck!
    Howdy! it's the Ice marathon, i.e. the one inland rather than on the peninsula. And yes, it was bloody expensive! But i felt it was an incredible opportunity and i'll never get round to doing it if i don't do it now.
    Your Yukon ultra sounds incredible! How far was it? Your look absolutely freezing in that picture! I am told to expect -25 to -35C in late December...so warmer than where you were!
    Point taken on the fabric.
    Still nowhere near deciding on the watch though.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ej86 View Post
    A marathon you say?

Nice combo! I will have a Garmin Fenix 5+ on my other wrist. The Polar Explorer looks pretty good there, i must say.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    As a complete curveball,

Wow! Yes, i can take it with me. I'm in Antarctica for 3d so i can wear it around, although I might opt for something else for the actual race...but reading through the thread, sounds like that should do the business? PM me and we can discuss.

Grand Master
    Evening all,
    I can see why you would say the "Polar" EX,but surely a black dial would actually work better in a white out situation,would you/I or We have white numbers on a white date background......er Nope.

The black EX is very nice too ya know.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Sinn Arktis or Arktis II.
    Sinn is not a bad shout. I have a stock 556i somehwere knocking about.
    I thought maybe i need to worry about magnetism, but it seems the magnetic south pole is actually drifting north and is currently actually off the coast of Antartica at 64°S 136°E... whereas i will be 2,300 miles away at 79°S 83°W, far closer to the geographic South Pole.
    Anyway, so for that reason, anti-magnetism (Polerouter-style) probably not needed.

What is special about the Arktis ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wow! Yes, i can take it with me. I'm in Antarctica for 3d so i can wear it around, although I might opt for something else for the actual race...but reading through the thread, sounds like that should do the business? PM me and we can discuss.
    That's amazing! Thank you so much. Just getting it there is a wonderful thing 😊

Master
    There are a number of Sinn watches that are able to cope with temperature extremes. I have the 857 UTC which is designed to cope with -45 to +80.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Breitling Emergency - Just in case.

Raketa Antartika - even has a map on it in case you get lost.

Speedmaster Alaska Project in case it drops to -150 and need to check the time outside

Journeyman
    Good luck out there. The Rolexes you suggested would be a good choice I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go with the Snow dweller...

@OP: Be original. Take something that's been associated with anything BUT Antarctica, but will be after you win the marathon. (Good luck, BTW).