closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Modball rally 2019

Master

Modball rally 2019

Is anyone here doing the Modball rally this weekend?

I was driving up the M40 and M6 earlier today, and saw perhaps two dozen Modball entrants. Some pretty impressive marques, including Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston and several M series BMWs.

They didn’t seem to be racing, fortunately, so I’m not sure how the competition goes.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Obviously racing is not allowed on public roads.
    Ány sort of competitive element is suspect on the public road as just about all may motivate participants to ´compensate´.

This particular event, which is basically the rich flaunting their ostentatious cars in an organised tour, has totally deservedly had véry negative publicity in past events because of mega-high speed infractions, serious accidents, even deaths.

It is only because of the überrich & famous = the money & publicity involved, that the event has not been banned from public roads altogether. I imagine that the organisers are now very strict about control of the drivers. I don´t knów but it seems logical to fit out all cars with a gps tracker and automatically ban anyone being silly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Ány sort of competitive element is suspect on the public road as just about all may motivate participants to ´compensate´.

This particular event, which is basically the rich flaunting their ostentatious cars in an organised tour, has totally deservedly had véry negative publicity in past events because of mega-high speed infractions, serious accidents, even deaths.

It is only because of the überrich & famous = the money & publicity involved, that the event has not been banned from public roads altogether. I imagine that the organisers are now very strict about control of the drivers. I don´t knów but it seems logical to fit out all cars with a gps tracker and automatically ban anyone being silly.
    Jesus H Christ...

Master

Oh dear........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice

Apprentice

Your a fan of this rally then yeah

Master
    We were on our way up to Glasgow yesterday morning and just going through the hilly bit in the Borders at a steady 78 due to the risk of the usual camera vans on bridges when about 4 cars in close convoy went past us at well over a 100 the sound was amazing but I was a little concerned for them and expected to see them pulled over a few miles down the road but fortunately not.Just wish I could afford to join them bet they’re having lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    We were on our way up to Glasgow yesterday morning and just going through the hilly bit in the Borders at a steady 78 due to the risk of the usual camera vans on bridges when about 4 cars in close convoy went past us at well over a 100 the sound was amazing but I was a little concerned for them and expected to see them pulled over a few miles down the road but fortunately not.Just wish I could afford to join them bet they’re having lots of fun.
    Why the concern for them? Surely the concern should be for other road users?

Wanna race or drive like a cock? Take it to the track.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

Glad you get my point.

It is one thing these rich pricks showing off makes organising motoring events on the public road ever more difficult, it is quite another that they endanger the user of the public roads in an ´organised´ manner.

@notsosmartted4; I am all for having fun with cars and if you got it why not flaunt it?! Thís event however should be banned. This lot makes you ask yourself why we are not allowed to protect ourselves from these idiots as the State obviously does not.

Craftsman

I don’t think the Modball rally has resulted in deaths, I hope not.
    The Gumball Rally has resulted in deaths of members of the public.

I’m a car fanatic through and through, but aside from seeing a range of nice cars in one place i’d much rather prefer a drive with me and my close friends.

A friend of mine is doing it. He’s certainly not uberrich or famous.

Not my thing though.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s a joke

All cars must have at least two ‘MOD’ifications, cosmetic or mechanical. If you are entering a new car then a spec upgrade qualifies as a ‘mod’ e.g. carbon, sound.

Glad you get my point.

It is one thing these rich pricks showing off makes organising motoring events on the public road ever more difficult, it is quite another that they endanger the user of the public roads in an ´organised´ manner.

@notsosmartted4; I am all for having fun with cars and if you got it why not flaunt it?! Thís event however should be banned. This lot makes you ask yourself why we are not allowed to protect ourselves from these idiots as the State obviously does not.
    I can only assume that your issue is with the rich seeing as you've mentioned it twice!

I also don't think you've got any room to talk about going fast- theres multiple threads on here over the years about you "going sideways" and pushing the vehicle to its limits on mountain roads. pot kettle and all that ?

Ahem.

Been playing about with the thing on the industrial estate just up the road. It is mostly not developed/built up and has six small loops within two larger loops within one large loop.
    All on a slope so all corners can be taken upwards or downwards.
    On the low side the two larger loops hook up in the large one with a roundabout.
    The loops are not rectangular but angular so the corners are markedly less or more than right angled.
    All in all plenty of variety. Oh and plenty of road paint too.

This week is wet again and tractors from the olive groves have put down mud, which makes a contrast to the dry cleanish tarmac of last week.

Sofar I find the car nót on the quick side to swap ends. It is quite predictable and not at all that sudden when it oversteers. Takes me some getting used to, to not overcorrecting but it is very forgiving with that.
    The only thing I do find less easy is setting up a sideways on the handbrake nordic style. On the dry it is soso but on the wet it is a very small angle where you can hold it or loose it. I will adjust the cables a bit tighter.
    Spun it only ónce tough.

Have not spun it on oversteer. Yet.

Did have some scares trying to figure out the understeer when going in too deep too fast either on or off the brakes. Put a whiff more air in up front and that was noticeable but I am still weary to go in too deep. If I´ve worn the present rubber out, I will go for wider 205s at the front.

Bottom line is that it is more forgiving than I thought it would be and once it starts sliding, it hangs responsively on the throttle.
    Especially in the slippery wet it is a enjoyably forgiving surprise.

Still think the exhaust should be a bit more audible but the upside of that is comfortable cruising.

But most importantly; sliding it anywhichway you want on slippery wet makes you SMÍLE!
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

I didn’t say they were racing or driving like cocks,they were just driving fast in close convoy,it wasn’t in my mind at all dangerous,the motorway was almost empty.

I didn’t say they were racing or driving like cocks,they were just driving fast in close convoy,it wasn’t in my mind at all dangerous,the motorway was almost empty.
    Driving fast (100mph) in close convoy? Driving like a cock.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I can only assume that your issue is with the rich seeing as you've mentioned it twice!

I also don't think you've got any room to talk about going fast- theres multiple threads on here over the years about you "going sideways" and pushing the vehicle to its limits on mountain roads. pot kettle and all that ?
    The crux is when/where/what speed.
    And yes, I dó pass the limits of responsible too sometimes. Mea culpa.

A véry far cry from organised speeding in convoy past other traffic.
    Me mentioning the very rich is pointing to why the event has not been banned.
    The clout of the participant has seen the rally escape a ban several times in several countries. Even in the Netherlands.

Defense of it here seems a bit odd since by and large you lot are ever so keen on dash cams to report/crucify ´irresponsible driving´.

It also jars harshly with the Police actions against ´illegal races´ not-organised at night on otherwise deserted industrial estates or ´simple´speeding. Again the Netherlands are a ´shining´ example as speed infractions carry draconian penaties there. For the plebs that is.

I think it wrong that the law does not apply the same to all and this is organised large scale.
    By all means think it right.
    Let´s agree to disagree.

The crux is when/where/what speed.
    And yes, I dó pass the limits of responsible too sometimes. Mea culpa.

A véry far cry from organised speeding in convoy past other traffic.
    Me mentioning the very rich is pointing to why the event has not been banned.
    The clout of the participant has seen the rally escape a ban several times in several countries. Even in the Netherlands.

Defense of it here seems a bit odd since by and large you lot are ever so keen on dash cams to report/crucify ´irresponsible driving´.

It also jars harshly with the Police actions against ´illegal races´ not-organised at night on otherwise deserted industrial estates or ´simple´speeding. Again the Netherlands are a ´shining´ example as speed infractions carry draconian penaties there. For the plebs that is.

I think it wrong that the law does not apply the same to all and this is organised large scale.
    By all means think it right.
    Let´s agree to disagree.
    Nah, I don't like agreeing to disagree.You can't take the moral high ground and say that breaking the speed limit is ok sometimes just because it's you.
    Btw I'm not justifying it just pointing out the crushing irony of your post Cilla.

Edit- a bit like your post regrading cycle helmets...you know the ones.

I spent some of my 32yrs in the Fire Service dealing with the after effects of illegal driving on public roads. Quite a dirty and upsetting business to be honest. My last job before I retired was a Fiesta literally wrapped around a tree, driver 17yrs old DEAD, passenger 16yrs old, DIED IN OUR ARMS as we lifted him out. The passenger was about the same build and size as my son, who was 14 at the time, quite testing. They'd been racing another car. Public roads have limits to keep people safe, not for those who imagine they are skilled drivers and are above the law to exceed.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Public roads have limits to keep people safe, not for those who imagine they are skilled drivers and are above the law to exceed.
    Unfortunately that’s not the case these days, it’s more about revenue generation.

When I moved to my current address eleven years ago, there was a 30mph limit through a village but otherwise it was all national speed limit to the nearest town. Now it’s mainly 40mph and 50mph despite there having been no accidents on the road.

I spent some of my 32yrs in the Fire Service dealing with the after effects of illegal driving on public roads. Quite a dirty and upsetting business to be honest. My last job before I retired was a Fiesta literally wrapped around a tree, driver 17yrs old DEAD, passenger 16yrs old, DIED IN OUR ARMS as we lifted him out. The passenger was about the same build and size as my son, who was 14 at the time, quite testing. They'd been racing another car. Public roads have limits to keep people safe, not for those who imagine they are skilled drivers and are above the law to exceed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Unfortunately that’s not the case these days, it’s more about revenue generation.

When I moved to my current address eleven years ago, there was a 30mph limit through a village but otherwise it was all national speed limit to the nearest town. Now it’s mainly 40mph and 50mph despite there having been no accidents on the road.
    I've replied so that my whole post is visible.
    F.T.F.A.

I've replied so that my whole post is visible.
    Not sure why; I’m not disputing that driving dangerously can lead to fatalities or that speed limits are there for a reason. What I am disputing is that speed limits are necessarily there to keep people safe because that’s just wrong.

I’m sure that many of your fatalities occurred due to excessive speed (above the limit). Im equally sure that a number also occurred where the driver wasn’t exceeding the speed limit (although possibly travelling at a higher speed than was safe given the conditions or their ability).

Master
    I live in the Derbyshire Dales and see cars crashing through dry stone walls most weekends and have helped several drivers who have crashed through my front and rear walls both on bends,they were predominantly spotty herberts in 1100cc’ish modified Polos,Fiestas and Corsas.Never in over 20 years have I seen or heard of any crashes involving high performance sports cars or bikes driven by anyone over the age of 30.
    Same on motorways Most of the crashes and near misses I’ve seen are old dods or women in tiny low powered cars sitting in the middle lane doing 50mph in lorry blind spots,never seen a single crash involving a high performance sports car.
    Most of the drivers on these charity events are highly skilled drivers who regularly drive them on trackdays or company sponsored press day launches at high speeds on the continent so not inexperienced young idiots as they seem to be being portrayed.
    Last edited by SeePee; 6th May 2019 at 21:56.

Craftsman
    Modball is not a charity event though.

Master
    God there are some miserable sods on here. It’s all good clean fun, just watch The Cannonball Run. Nothing bad ever happened in that!!

does this count as a high speed crash lol
    Not sure Id let this guy behind the wheel of a Dacia!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAAgcSTDdzs

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    God there are some miserable sods on here. It’s all good clean fun, just watch The Cannonball Run. Nothing bad ever happened in that!!

That's because they had "Him".

Or was it something to do with the proctologist?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    That's because they had "Him".

Or was it something to do with the proctologist?

I live in the Derbyshire Dales and see cars crashing through dry stone walls most weekends and have helped several drivers who have crashed through my front and rear walls both on bends,they were predominantly spotty herberts in 1100cc’ish modified Polos,Fiestas and Corsas.Never in over 20 years have I seen or heard of any crashes involving high performance sports cars or bikes driven by anyone over the age of 30.
    The worst RTC I've encountered was a 42 year-old* in a Vauxhall Carlton GSi. Some of the driver was in the rear of the car, the rest was back down the road.

*I was a witness at the Coroner's Court and even worse than what I'd encountered at the scene was facing the deceased driver's widow there.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

In my opinion the crux is whether an in all honesty and practice órganised!!! speeding event for luxury cars is acceptable these days on open public roads.

It either is or is not.
    If it is, it raises lost of questions about maintaining traffic rules.
    If it is not, then those ´whatever-ball runs´ should be obliged to fit the competitors with transponders before the organisers get permission to run the event.

Imo it is not 1919 but 2019. For one the rich are not the only ones with cars anymore, nor are the plebs cluttering the roads without rights ánd we now have the technology to keep it sane.