closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eBay: "Sell for 1 max" deal.... is there a catch?

Master
    Just sold a Bulova Sea King. 1 fee on invoice... All good.

Craftsman
    I refuse to accept PayPal now , direct payment only.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john_coburg View Post
    Ah, interesting. i missed that - in my own thread! so perhaps price changes are ok (phew) but photo changes aren't ? has anyone tried changing a photo?
    Yep. I've added a photo to an item. Still only charged 1 on sale.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Theres no rush though, take the photos and the listing offer will be back in a few weeks - always does!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Just for information.
    I have noticed in the offer Ts & Cs that you can only list an item once at 1, if it doesnt sell you will be charged the full FV fee if its listed again even if a 1 offer is in force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    Just for information.
    I have noticed in the offer Ts & Cs that you can only list an item once at 1, if it doesnt sell you will be charged the full FV fee if its listed again even if a 1 offer is in force.

Thats only if you relist the exact same advert after the first one expires without selling.

You can relist the same item on a different offer if you create the ad from scratch

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lostp View Post
    Thats only if you relist the exact same advert after the first one expires without selling.

You can relist the same item on a different offer if you create the ad from scratch
    Apparently not, it states if the same item is listed again then full fees will apply, I think this has changed recently

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    I refuse to accept PayPal now , direct payment only.
    Is this possible with eBay? I thought you had no choice but to accept and use PayPal.

Apparently not, it states if the same item is listed again then full fees will apply, I think this has changed recently

This is something I didnt know, thanks for sharing...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    Is this possible with eBay? I thought you had no choice but to accept and use PayPal.
    Pretty sure you can offer cash on collection and credit card payment.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Pretty sure you can offer cash on collection and credit card payment.

I think that you can offer other payments but you cant not offer PayPal.

Ive just sold an item which I listed on Saturday after signing up for the 1 deal and have been charged over 30. I did reduce the price by 25 so maybe theyre getting stricter!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    Just sold a bike in April for over 400 , made it clear in the description that no PayPal would be accepted.

The buyer emailed asking for my address and bank details, payment was made within the hour , funnily enough he just collected it last week.

Ive got two other items for sale with the same condition applied , clearly theyre pushing everyone down the PayPal route but its not compulsory.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Ive just sold an item which I listed on Saturday after signing up for the 1 deal and have been charged over 30. I did reduce the price by 25 so maybe theyre getting stricter!
    Strange. I sold an item on Saturday and it's only been charged at 1. This was a relisted item too.

Thanks all - I will take a closer look at this and make sure I have other payment options available next time I look to sell on eBay. That PP fee really stings!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Maybe its because the 1 deal was Sunday & Monday and wasnt available for Saturday listings.

Master
    Maybe its because the 1 deal was Sunday & Monday and wasnt available for Saturday listings.

Lol. V Good point. Twas Sunday I sold. The deal was only Sunday/Monday this time. Bet this caught a few folk out. Of course that won't have been eBay's goal.....

Ive got two other items for sale with the same condition applied , clearly theyre pushing everyone down the PayPal route but its not compulsory.
    You have to offer PayPal as a payment method, and there's nothing you can do to stop a Buyer from paying with PayPal.

Your only option (if they do so) is to refund them, but you then risk negative feedback and a Non-Performing Seller strike on your account.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    You have to offer PayPal as a payment method, and there's nothing you can do to stop a Buyer from paying with PayPal.

Your only option (if they do so) is to refund them, but you then risk negative feedback and a Non-Performing Seller strike on your account.
    I recently sold a car. It was cash on collection only. Classified advert right enough so probably different rule.

I recently sold a car. It was cash on collection only. Classified advert right enough so probably different rule.
    Yes, the eBay rules for Classified Adverts (and for Car sales) don't require that you accept PayPal.

Craftsman
    Lol. V Good point. Twas Sunday I sold. The deal was only Sunday/Monday this time. Bet this caught a few folk out. Of course that won't have been eBay's goal.....

Yep...caught me out. Signed up Saturday night and had a draft that I finished and posted - sold Sunday but charged full 10% as the offer wasn't started yet. Damned T&Cs!

Master
    Im very grateful for this clarification. Im sorry to hear that people have been caught out by the Gs & Gs in these promotions.
    So Ive just ended a 1 promo listing which was a re-list from a previous non-selling listing. Will hold fire until the next promo then create a new listing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Has the max 1 selling fees offer been dropped due to the current crisis?
    I have been recieving this offer every two weeks for about the last year or so but nothing for the last month.
    I`ve made a killing over the last 3 years or so offloading tons of rusty clapped-out scrap high-value vintage motorcycle spares i`ve accumulated over the years and it`d be a shame if i have to start paying the full final value fee after having been paying only a pound for so long....
    Anyone else not getting the deal any more?

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I have been recieving this offer every two weeks for about the last year or so but nothing for the last month.
    I`ve made a killing over the last 3 years or so offloading tons of rusty clapped-out scrap high-value vintage motorcycle spares i`ve accumulated over the years and it`d be a shame if i have to start paying the full final value fee after having been paying only a pound for so long....
    Not had a 1 deal for a few weeks, so I've stopped off-loading Rolex, Omegas and PP and stuck to manky trainers.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Yes they have scrapped it, probably for a very long time. Nothing official but it is about as obvious as rain is wet

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post

The last 6 or 7 things Ive sold on eBay Ive made it clear that I dont accept PayPal as a method of payment and that if your only method of payment is PayPal please do NOT bid on the item.

All been paid for by bank transfer.

I sell so little probably only 30 things in total on eBay , a negative feedback wouldnt cause me concern.

Master
    I'm thinking the current crisis is forcing lots of people to sell on eBay, making such offers unnecessary to lure in sellers.

Although they really should turn off "collection in person" at the moment...

The last 6 or 7 things Ive sold on eBay Ive made it clear that I dont accept PayPal as a method of payment and that if your only method of payment is PayPal please do NOT bid on the item.

All been paid for by bank transfer.

I sell so little probably only 30 things in total on eBay , a negative feedback wouldnt cause me concern.
    Though its likely to be also limiting your customer base.

That may not be important to you, but as a long-time eBay buyer I have an inherent distrust of any payment method other than PayPal. I view there being too much risk in being scammed by an unscrupulous seller and then being faced with no recourse.

I continually read here that we should buy the seller, and for me a refusal to take PayPal raises questions, however much they may be unjustified.

This isnt in any way a dig at you for personally not taking PayPal, as I also read here too often of buyers abusing it.

Master
    I'm thinking the current crisis is forcing lots of people to sell on eBay, making such offers unnecessary to lure in sellers.

Completely agree and I am not surprised. I was routinely receiving the 1 max selling fees offer and this has "strangely" disappeared over the past 2-3 weeks.

Most sellers are wise to the 1 deals and wait for them to appear. I did notice over the last week or so that the listings have become a bit stale with very little new stuff being added and the heavily over priced stuff just sitting there.

With so many people at home and presumably with additional time on their hands (both to sell and buy) and RM still working, I thought e-bay might have seen that as an opportunity to encourage people to list more items.

The listings that I look at on a regular basis are now starting to look like the toilet roll section of a supermarket during the panic buying spree.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    Completely agree and I am not surprised. I was routinely receiving the 1 max selling fees offer and this has "strangely" disappeared over the past 2-3 weeks.

+1

Regularly received these offers, but nothing for the last three or four weeks. I hope they announce one soon, as having had a few weeks at home gave me time to de-hoard and Ive gathered a number of things I want to flog!

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    That will kill the Rolex listings then

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have some stuff to sell but to me it does not feel the correct thing to do.
    The thought of waiting in line at my local cramped post office fills me with dread.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Though its likely to be also limiting your customer base.

That may not be important to you, but as a long-time eBay buyer I have an inherent distrust of any payment method other than PayPal. I view there being too much risk in being scammed by an unscrupulous seller and then being faced with no recourse.

I continually read here that we should buy the seller, and for me a refusal to take PayPal raises questions, however much they may be unjustified.

This isnt in any way a dig at you for personally not taking PayPal, as I also read here too often of buyers abusing it.

No offence taken , I cant see the point of giving PayPal a healthy % for doing what you can do through your bank free of charge .

Sold my old kitchen for 1200 and a bike for 400 , and the rest of the sales have been less than 100 , never had an issue but Ive made it 100 % clear about the payment method .

100% feedback as well , so must be doing something right.

Craftsman
    Just a further note on this one - if they do start offering this promotion again, don't use a "Second Chance Offer" in the event of a non-payment by the winning bidder. This is also a sneaky way that Ebay catch you with full value fees rather than the 1. Nearly fell into that trap myself but thought to check the small print in time

Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    Just a further note on this one - if they do start offering this promotion again, don't use a "Second Chance Offer" in the event of a non-payment by the winning bidder. This is also a sneaky way that Ebay catch you with full value fees rather than the 1. Nearly fell into that trap myself but thought to check the small print in time
    Yep and dont let them automatically relist it for you - its only 1 selling fees until the listing ends. And even buy it now adverts only last 28 days before automatically renewing

Master
    No offence taken , I cant see the point of giving PayPal a healthy % for doing what you can do through your bank free of charge .

Sold my old kitchen for 1200 and a bike for 400 , and the rest of the sales have been less than 100 , never had an issue but Ive made it 100 % clear about the payment method .

100% feedback as well , so must be doing something right.
    I recently bought a watch via EBay and the seller did accept PayPal if the buyer covered the fees. I felt that this was fair to both parties as I woundn't have purchased it without PayPal for the buyer protection side of things but the seller didn't want 50 or whatever of PayPal fees. I obviously adjusted my max bid to take this into account and so paid a price I was comfortable with and the seller sent me an invoice with the fees added to the final bid and postage price which I paid via Paypal.

Master
    I would like to think that EBay are not doing 1 listings as they are supporting the efforts to minimise unnecessary travel to the PO etc from people selling items. I fear however that the truth is as stated above, unfortunately people will be forced to sell items and a lot will be via EBay hence no need to incentivise.

I agree that there are very few new listings at present and most of those that are are re-lists of overpriced items in the first place.

I've cancelled my listing which was using the 1 max deal.

Primarily to prevent unnecessary deliveries of what is a non-essential item.

But greatly enhanced by what I imagine is currently a scammer's dream circumstance:
    1. Couriers are overstretched so things may be more likely to go missing, or so they'd claim
    2. Money is more tight than usual for lots of people, so something could be claimed to have happened to the item during its journey to the scammy buyer
    3. If they claim an issue has arisen (e.g. they want to return the item for some made-up fault) eBay and PayPal are going to have fewer staff to deal with the problem and are, I'd suggest, even more likely than usual to side with the buyer, just to close the case.

So no eBay sales for me whilst this is ongoing.

Craftsman
    I've also had the offer pretty much every week for the last few weeks. But there was a period from mid Jan to mid Feb where I only got the offer once so hoping it comes back soon.

That's great if people read your full listing and they are also willing to pay by another method. However, there's nothing that you can do to stop them paying by PayPal. If they do, and you cancel the transaction, you risk getting a Non-Performing Seller strike, which will hurt your account more than negative feedback will.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    I recently bought a watch via EBay and the seller did accept PayPal if the buyer covered the fees.
    If you were happy with the total price you paid, then that's great, but what the seller did was against eBay rules and he was lucky that you didn't choose to report him.

It used to tell you how many days you had left of your 30 day period but too many people cancelled before the item was re-listed at full price so they replaced the date with good until cancelled hoping people had forgotten when they listed it. Pretty cheeky but I know its caught a hell of a lot of people out as youd assume it would be easy to see when you listed something. eBay make you really work for it!

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    It used to tell you how many days you had left of your 30 day period but too many people cancelled before the item was re-listed at full price so they replaced the date with good until cancelled hoping people had forgotten when they listed it. Pretty cheeky but I know its caught a hell of a lot of people out as youd assume it would be easy to see when you listed something. eBay make you really work for it!
    I've noticed that, but it's only when you do a buy it now listing. Auction listings still use fixed days of 3, 5, 7, or 10. And you can opt out of free relist when you compile the listing.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I've noticed that, but it's only when you do a buy it now listing. Auction listings still use fixed days of 3, 5, 7, or 10. And you can opt out of free relist when you compile the listing.

I see, thanks for that 👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I see, thanks for that 👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by john_coburg View Post
    Afternoon all,
    I see this is as a good opportunity to offload a few pieces without paying the hefty 10% fee (although you still pay the c. 3.4% paypal fee...).
    But i just wanted to double check i'm not missing anything. eBay have a habit of being sneaky after all.
    It says it "runs until 6 May". But it doesn't make clear that the item in question needs to simpy be listed, or actually needs to SELL by 6 May to qualify for the said discount...does anyone happen to know for sure?

Start Date *End Date
    1 max final value fee on up to 100 listings and no insertion fees Learn More - Sell for 1 max! - opens in new window or tab04-May-2019 14:00:56
    06-May-2019 23:59:59
    No catch.. used it many times but just remember it has a listing timespan of just a couple of weeks and then the item reverts to normal fees if it hasnt sold without letting you know...

They used to come through very regularly but havent had one now for several weeks..