closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBay: "Sell for £1 max" deal.... is there a catch?

Journeyman

eBay: "Sell for £1 max" deal.... is there a catch?

Afternoon all,
    I see this is as a good opportunity to offload a few pieces without paying the hefty 10% fee (although you still pay the c. 3.4% paypal fee...).
    But i just wanted to double check i'm not missing anything. eBay have a habit of being sneaky after all.
    It says it "runs until 6 May". But it doesn't make clear that the item in question needs to simpy be listed, or actually needs to SELL by 6 May to qualify for the said discount...does anyone happen to know for sure?

Start Date * End Date
    £1 max final value fee on up to 100 listings and no insertion fees Learn More - Sell for £1 max! - opens in new window or tab 04-May-2019 14:00:56
    06-May-2019 23:59:59

No catch, just list before (end) Monday.

Item must sell within the first listing period
    They have the same offer every few weeks.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

There is no catch but if your item does not sell then do not relist it as it will incur the full final selling fee.

Don’t forget to sign in & accept the deal before you list anything.

These deals seem to be offered almost every 2 or 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s easy; sign up for the deal and then anything you list will have a maximum selling fee of £1 as long as it sells within the listing period. If it doesn’t sell within 30 days, it automatically realists until cancelled, at which time the fee reverts to 10% (subject to fee limits).

As you mentioned, there’s still the PayPal fees to pay and a 10% fee on the postage costs. I just factor the postage cost in to the listing and offer free delivery.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john_coburg View Post
    Afternoon all,
    I see this is as a good opportunity to offload a few pieces without paying the hefty 10% fee (although you still pay the c. 3.4% paypal fee...).
    But i just wanted to double check i'm not missing anything. eBay have a habit of being sneaky after all.
    It says it "runs until 6 May". But it doesn't make clear that the item in question needs to simpy be listed, or actually needs to SELL by 6 May to qualify for the said discount...does anyone happen to know for sure?

Start Date * End Date
    £1 max final value fee on up to 100 listings and no insertion fees Learn More - Sell for £1 max! - opens in new window or tab 04-May-2019 14:00:56
    06-May-2019 23:59:59

Pretty sure that the dates refer to when the listing is made (or goes live?).

However, the conditions say "Item must sell within the first listing period" which isn't absolutely clear to me, as a very occasional seller.

Master
    No catch. Just list the item over the weekend and you’ll only pay £1 fee to eBay. You obviously pay PayPal fees on top but it’s still worth it IMO.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post

However, the conditions say "Item must sell within the first listing period" which isn't absolutely clear to me, as a very occasional seller.
    Relisting will incur the full final value fee, but if you create a completely new listing when another £1 offer appears you will only pay the £1 max.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Pretty sure that the dates refer to when the listing is made (or goes live?).

Yes, i saw that. I guess referring to 'buy it now' items that sit on there months on end don't count (unless they sell in the first sitting)
    It's pretty unclear when actually listing an item that the offer is even 'switched on' - no confirmation during listing or even after that it's actually activated. A bit unsettling.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeez Nuuutz View Post
    No catch. Just list the item over the weekend and you’ll only pay £1 fee to eBay. You obviously pay PayPal fees on top but it’s still worth it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    Relisting will incur the full final value fee, but if you create a completely new listing when another £1 offer appears you will only pay the £1 max.

Plus ten percent of your postage charge!!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Plus ten percent of your postage charge!!
    Agreed but just factor that into your shipping price at listing time

Craftsman
    Seems to be a quite regular thing for Ebay,especially over Bank Holidays.

Was even better when they had the sitewide 10/15/20% off purchases.Maybe competition with other auction sites has had something to do with it?Its a massive market share they have but lately found it an expensive way to sell when you factor the fees in.

Master
    Yes, i saw that. I guess referring to 'buy it now' items that sit on there months on end don't count (unless they sell in the first sitting)
    It's pretty unclear when actually listing an item that the offer is even 'switched on' - no confirmation during listing or even after that it's actually activated. A bit unsettling.
    It doesn’t need to sell within the period - that is clear in the terms and conditions. However it also says can’t be auto relisted or through good ‘till cancelled. Can’t see an option for a buy it now with a defined end period

Agreed but just factor that into your shipping price at listing time

My point being that if you add a postage cost, you’ll end up paying more than the £1 max whereas, if you add your postage to the selling price and then offer free postage, you’ll still only pay the £1.

Craftsman
    Once you accept the offer on your account the listing's made within the period will have the £1 max against it.

I've used it several times over the last year for non watch sales with no problem.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    My point being that if you add a postage cost, you’ll end up paying more than the £1 max whereas, if you add your postage to the selling price and then offer free postage, you’ll still only pay the £1.
    That’s fine with a buy it now but not so good with an auction.

That’s fine with a buy it now but not so good with an auction.

Fair point. I’d not considered that as I only ever list as “buy it nows”.

I've listed a few things and yes all you are charged is £1 and nothing on the postage. PayPal take their pound of flesh which is how this offer makes money for e-bay.

It's also good if you get a non paying bidder as your max loss is £1 and you can claim that back if you can be bothered.

I never relist, just wait for the next £1 offer, cancel the old listings and enter them again as though they are fresh listings.

[QUOTE=Dave+63;5091481]My point being that if you add a postage cost, you’ll end up paying more than the £1 max whereas, if you add your postage to the selling price and then offer free postage, you’ll still only pay the £1.[/QUOTE

I’ve sold a couple of items recently and wondered where the extra charges came from
    I’ll be doing the above in the future

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    It doesn’t need to sell within the period - that is clear in the terms and conditions. However it also says can’t be auto relisted or through good ‘till cancelled. Can’t see an option for a buy it now with a defined end period
    I’ve just read the terms and conditions. You can sell with auto relist and good til cancelled, it’s listings that you’ve already got live which renew during the period that are ineligible.

Master
    Also have a check that your item is included in this offer - they have a tendency to advertise 'Sell your items for free' or something in big letters, then you only later realise that certain sorts of items aren't included - invariably what you are selling, and no, they don't tell you until they bill you for the fees!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Also have a check that your item is included in this offer - they have a tendency to advertise 'Sell your items for free' or something in big letters, then you only later realise that certain sorts of items aren't included - invariably what you are selling, and no, they don't tell you until they bill you for the fees!
    I’ve never known the £1 offer to limit selling any item for the first listing and I have sold maybe 50 or more items over at least a dozen categories in the last 12 months or so using the £1 deal. In fact I invariably sell anything unless the deal is active as they offer it very frequently.

Paypal fees are the catch. If you're selling a high value watch and get paid via Paypal you're in for a hefty fee.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Paypal fees are the catch. If you're selling a high value watch and get paid via Paypal you're in for a hefty fee.

This.

I’ve never known the £1 offer to limit selling any item for the first listing and I have sold maybe 50 or more items over at least a dozen categories in the last 12 months or so using the £1 deal. In fact I invariably sell anything unless the deal is active as they offer it very frequently.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    This.
    Only properties and motor vehicles according to the terms.

Motor parts are ok though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    PayPal take their pound of flesh which is how this offer makes money for e-bay.
    How does PayPal charging their fees make money for eBay???

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    How does PayPal charging their fees make money for eBay???
    It doesn’t, they are separate companies and at the end of their current agreement in 2020 eBay will no longer use PayPal as its back-end payment processor, they have signed a new long term agreement with Adyen an Amsterdam based company.

It doesn’t, they are separate companies and at the end of their current agreement in 2020 eBay will no longer use PayPal as its back-end payment processor, they have signed a new long term agreement with Adyen an Amsterdam based company.

That's interesting, do you know much about them - what will that mean for eBay users, will we need an account with them and how do their fees compare?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    That's interesting, do you know much about them - what will that mean for eBay users, will we need an account with them and how do their fees compare?
    Apparently eBay customers will pay less, have a look here.

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/31/169572...ents-agreement

I have listed a watch on this option but Mine is on a good till sold style listing. Does it not qualify for the max £1 selling fees? I must admit the instructions for listing weren't as clear as they could have been.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nuvolablue View Post
    I have listed a watch on this option but Mine is on a good till sold style listing. Does it not qualify for the max £1 selling fees? I must admit the instructions for listing weren't as clear as they could have been.

Only if it sells within 30 days, my advice stop it after the 30 days and create a new listing when the next offer appears.

Craftsman
    I use this a lot at the minute.

As said already, the only watchouts are wheen you list as a fixed price, the listing will roll on for a further 30 days if the item hasn't sold, but not at the £1 selling fee rate.

Also PayPal will still stick it to you on fees.

Not sure how long eBay will keep this particular deal mechanic going, so fill your boots with listing while you can.

Only if it sells within 30 days, my advice stop it after the 30 days and create a new listing when the next offer appears.
    Where do you get the 30 day limit from? I couldn't see it anywhere in their T&Cs?
    I understand that all fixed price listings are now on the good till cancelled Duration.

"From 1 April 2019, we're taking further steps to simplify the shopping experience across all eBay sites. The only listing duration for all fixed price listings for both Business and Private sellers will be Good 'Til Cancelled."

Craftsman
    I think ebay and PayPal have separated their business arrangements now, but they still screw on the fees
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I've listed a few things and yes all you are charged is £1 and nothing on the postage. PayPal take their pound of flesh which is how this offer makes money for e-bay.

It's also good if you get a non paying bidder as your max loss is £1 and you can claim that back if you can be bothered.

I never relist, just wait for the next £1 offer, cancel the old listings and enter them again as though they are fresh listings.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nuvolablue View Post
    Where do you get the 30 day limit from? I couldn't see it anywhere in their T&Cs?
    I understand that all fixed price listings are now on the good till cancelled Duration.

"From 1 April 2019, we're taking further steps to simplify the shopping experience across all eBay sites. The only listing duration for all fixed price listings for both Business and Private sellers will be Good 'Til Cancelled."

Good question, obviously fixed price was always a maximum of 30 days & now good ‘til cancelled. I wonder if they still consider 30 days ‘the first listing period’.

Another thing to bear in mind is that second chance offers don’t qualify for the £1 deal.

Good question, obviously fixed price was always a maximum of 30 days & now good ‘til cancelled. I wonder if they still consider 30 days ‘the first listing period’.

Another thing to bear in mind is that second chance offers don’t qualify for the £1 deal.
    If you list an item as good til cancelled, it shows as a thirty day listing and counts down as usual but automatically relists at the end of the thirty days.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    If you list an item as good til cancelled, it shows as a thirty day listing and counts down as usual but automatically relists at the end of the thirty days.
    I thought so.

I thought so.

Thanks for this. I've now dug deeper and confirmed this from their seller centre page:

"Good ‘Til Cancelled listings renew automatically every 30 days, unless the item is sold out. You will be charged a*Listing fee*for every 30-day period, if you go over your monthly free listing allowance. Of course, you’re able to end a listing at any time."

Very cheeky of them not to make this clear in the max £1 selling fees promotion page, or even in the T&Cs. High value watches can take longer than 30 days to sell; I might have been caught out if it wasn't for reading this thread..... Thanks guys.

This evening I have taken a chance on listing on eBay for the first time in many years after seeing this thread. I don't trust eBay and I can see from what nuvo has just posted, this is certainly well founded. Good til cancelled is a deceitful statement, I will let the listing run for four weeks and then just kill it before they take a bite out of me.

Since this is TZ its worth mentioning I joined eBay in 2002 and the first thing I sold was a Tudor Big Block. It sold to a Japanese collector for £1,400. I remember being amazed at the ability to sell my own stuff on a global platform, it truly was a wow at the time.

Master
    That detail of 'Good till cancelled' is good to know, hadn't spotted that in the Terms.

Cheers

Craftsman
    Checked WTB first but nothing listed so decided to take a chance and list a speedy Tuesday using the £1 offer, but just checked this thread as the terms for good till cancelled aren't very clear. Obviously TZ discount applies if anybody is interested.

Journeyman
    I listed an item in January using the £1 fee offer. It was listed as good till cancelled, and finally sold last week. The fee was £1. I made various amendments during that time, mainly to the buy it now price.

Craftsman
    If you put reserve price on the listing it will charge you a hefty listing fee...... Eg 5k will cost £150, regardless of the £1 final value offer.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IMMY77 View Post
    I listed an item in January using the £1 fee offer. It was listed as good till cancelled, and finally sold last week. The fee was £1. I made various amendments during that time, mainly to the buy it now price.
    Seems at odds with what’s been said on here previously (relisting after 30 days will incur usual fees).
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 6th May 2019 at 17:01.

Apprentice
    eBay charge a percentage listing fee on an “auction format” listing if you specify a reserve price. I find it is better to use a “fixed price” listing and just invite offers. That type of listing can run for a long time without needing to relist and the only fee will be the £1 final value (plus any PayPal charges)

Craftsman
    There is no catch, I get the offer every couple of weeks and wouldn't dream of listing anything of any genuine value outside of the offer, that would be throwing money away.

Journeyman
    Seems at odds with what’s been said on here previously (relisting after 30 days will incur usual fees).
    It didn’t relist after 30 days. It wouldn’t give me the option to chose a shorter listing on buy it now, so it stayed listed until it sold.

Journeyman
    Coming back to this topic, after a few successful sales for £1 last time around... i attempted to list another one under a subsequent £1 offer, but didn't have time to take photos before it expired, so thought i could list it without photos (before the offer expired) and just amend the listing in a few days time once i had photos ready. BUT...i thought i'd just check in with eBay to check that would be ok, before going ahead... and lo and behold, it seems any amendment to a listing (such as adding photos) nullifies the offer. See the transcript below.

05:10:24 UTC
    I don't have photos yet, but will do in 2/3days, so I wanted to check the £1 offer would still apply
    05:10:33 UTC Santos
    Also let me share that under £1 Max Sell when we revise the listing there is a possibility that the item may get out of £1 Max Sell.
    05:11:12 UTC
    oh - does 'revising' include adding photos?
    05:11:48 UTC Santos
    Any addition to the listing which is once listed will be considered as revision.
    05:12:13 UTC
    are you sure i will lose the status of special offer? that seems harsh!
    05:13:33 UTC Santos
    I am sorry but this is the Terms & Conditions of the promotion that the revision makes the listing opt out of the £1 Max Sell.
    05:13:52 UTC
    And what if it is was an auction? does that change things?
    05:14:17 UTC Santos
    The case is same in both the format.
    05:14:52 UTC
    okay, thank you.

i know the guy works for eBay, but do we think this is correct...?! and of course i should have asked at the time, but do we think 'amendments' include price changes for Buy-it-now listings? i suddenly got really worried about this and that any move in BIN price could scupper the £1 max sales fee offer of my listings, without warning. i didn't make any changes last time, so have no data points...
    has anyone changed a listing like this (e.g. adding photos/changing price) and seen the offer fall away as a result?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Coming back to this topic, after a few successful sales for £1 last time around... i attempted to list another one under a subsequent £1 offer, but didn't have time to take photos before it expired, so thought i could list it without photos (before the offer expired) and just amend the listing in a few days time once i had photos ready. BUT...i thought i'd just check in with eBay to check that would be ok, before going ahead... and lo and behold, it seems any amendment to a listing (such as adding photos) nullifies the offer. See the transcript below.

05:10:24 UTC
    I don't have photos yet, but will do in 2/3days, so I wanted to check the £1 offer would still apply
    05:10:33 UTC Santos
    Also let me share that under £1 Max Sell when we revise the listing there is a possibility that the item may get out of £1 Max Sell.
    05:11:12 UTC
    oh - does 'revising' include adding photos?
    05:11:48 UTC Santos
    Any addition to the listing which is once listed will be considered as revision.
    05:12:13 UTC
    are you sure i will lose the status of special offer? that seems harsh!
    05:13:33 UTC Santos
    I am sorry but this is the Terms & Conditions of the promotion that the revision makes the listing opt out of the £1 Max Sell.
    05:13:52 UTC
    And what if it is was an auction? does that change things?
    05:14:17 UTC Santos
    The case is same in both the format.
    05:14:52 UTC
    okay, thank you.

i know the guy works for eBay, but do we think this is correct...?! and of course i should have asked at the time, but do we think 'amendments' include price changes for Buy-it-now listings? i suddenly got really worried about this and that any move in BIN price could scupper the £1 max sales fee offer of my listings, without warning. i didn't make any changes last time, so have no data points...
    has anyone changed a listing like this (e.g. adding photos/changing price) and seen the offer fall away as a result?
    See post #42

Journeyman
    See post #42

Ah, interesting. i missed that - in my own thread! so perhaps price changes are ok (phew) but photo changes aren't ? has anyone tried changing a photo?