closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Damasko DA47 Service

Master

Damasko DA47 Service

Thought some might find this interesting as it’s a relatively new watch.

I’m normally up to my eyes servicing Seiko chronographs so an eta was actually a pleasure to do.

Watch was sent to me for terrible running and accuracy issues. It sounded to me like the hair spring had bunched together (really low amplitude). I removed the auto winding mech to try and get an idea of what was wrong but hair spring looked free from sticking. I did notice the pallet stone was really covered in grease and dirty looking too. I recommend the owner to go for a service and see what I found on the way.

Not very clever

Upon stripping I noticed a few issues, a lot of grease on the pallet fork, how dirty the escape wheel was too from interaction with it, the mainspring wasn’t laying flat when laid out and (what I now believe was the main issue) the hacking lever out of place and I’m since thinking it may have been that touching the balance wheel as I found nothing else to really account for that low amplitude. The watch had been adjusted before for inaccuracies so it was probably never right. Must ask the owner if it hacked before as I didn’t take notice when I removed the hands.

I don’t think it’s ever been serviced but I’m amazed if that much grease would be on a pallet stone from a box fresh eta? Maybe it had been messed with before as a couple of the screws had screwdriver damage and I also found some swarf from the main rotor screw floating around in the mvt. Maybe a Friday afternoon job at the ETA factory!

Before

Check the pallet stone

Escape wheel (this is the second side of the rodico I’d rolled old grease off onto!)

Some parts out of the US cleaner

MS looked ok but sat wonky so new one went on for the sake of a few quid

New

And in

Onto rebuild

Bit cleaner

9415 used on pallet stone

Almost there

Back home

Bit better now

Nice job. The perlage makes me think it’s quite old as they shifted to lower grade eta long ago - as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    This is my watch and I'm grateful to James for his excellent work.
    The watch was purchased in June 14 and returned from Damasko after regulation under warranty cJune 16. I bought it shortly after that I think and wore it fairly regularly for a good while during which time it ran a little quick I think but as I'd wear other watches, especially at weekends, it never really bothered me. Having not worn it for a few months it started showing a wide range of amplitudes on the timegrapher hence me sending it to James. I've never opened it during my ownership and have no reason to think the first owner did so my guess is this is how it came back from Damasko in mid 2016.

It'll be nice to have it back and know it's running well even if I don't revert to wearing it regularly.

Great write up
    Thanks, interesting reading.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    Nice job. The perlage makes me think it’s quite old as they shifted to lower grade eta long ago - as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    This is my watch and I'm grateful to James for his excellent work.
    The watch was purchased in June 14 and returned from Damasko after regulation under warranty cJune 16. I bought it shortly after that I think and wore it fairly regularly for a good while during which time it ran a little quick I think but as I'd wear other watches, especially at weekends, it never really bothered me. Having not worn it for a few months it started showing a wide range of amplitudes on the timegrapher hence me sending it to James. I've never opened it during my ownership and have no reason to think the first owner did so my guess is this is how it came back from Damasko in mid 2016.

It'll be nice to have it back and know it's running well even if I don't revert to wearing it regularly.
    Think it’ll be a bit better now.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Great write up
    Thanks, interesting reading.
    Thanks, I’m terrible at write ups like this really. Wish I could take better pics and do a better write up when I look back at the post. Maybe I’ll go through and add some detail.

Grand Master
    A nice write- up.

If working on one of these I usually replace the mainspring and barrel as an assembly. Cost is around £25 vs £10 for the spring only, unless the barrel is in almost perfect condition I always do this.

Before refitting the escape wheel and pallet lever I always treat the escape wheel teeth and pallet jewels with Fixadrop epilame. This helps to avoid the lubricant spreading away from the contact areas over time. Moebius 9415 is a thixotropic lubricant that shouldn’t spread, but the epilame treatment helps.

If I come across a fairly new ETA 2824 or 2836 that runs badly it’s almost certainly caused by contamination to the pallet lever and escaper wheel. I’ve come a ross a couple with faulty pallet levers and the easy answer is to fit a replacement. However, once they’re ‘ right’ they stay right, careful cleaning, assembly and oiling is usually all they need.

Craftsman
    What breaking grease did you use on the barrel?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A nice write- up.

If working on one of these I usually replace the mainspring and barrel as an assembly. Cost is around £25 vs £10 for the spring only, unless the barrel is in almost perfect condition I always do this.

Before refitting the escape wheel and pallet lever I always treat the escape wheel teeth and pallet jewels with Fixadrop epilame. This helps to avoid the lubricant spreading away from the contact areas over time. Moebius 9415 is a thixotropic lubricant that shouldn’t spread, but the epilame treatment helps.

If I come across a fairly new ETA 2824 or 2836 that runs badly it’s almost certainly caused by contamination to the pallet lever and escaper wheel. I’ve come a ross a couple with faulty pallet levers and the easy answer is to fit a replacement. However, once they’re ‘ right’ they stay right, careful cleaning, assembly and oiling is usually all they need.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    What breaking grease did you use on the barrel?
    8217 I always put a bit of moly grease on the bottom of the barrel and the lid too plus a different grease (can’t remember and I’m not home) on the arbor bearing parts of the barrel. Seems to work really well and I’ve cut my teeth on 6139/6138 Seiko chronographs so I’m always striving for better amplitude and I see some decent enough numbers from them this way.

Master
    This is a handy thread, as I'd previously thought that only Damasko Germany should service a Damasko watch.

I vaguely remember something about Damasko using a proprietry lubricant (probably for the 'lubrication cell' around the crown stem). Is there any truth to this?

Also, I read on this thread that:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    An independent can service the movement but won't be able to replace all the seals/O rings.
    Last edited by Dougal; 11th July 2019 at 12:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    This is a handy thread, as I'd previously thought that only Damasko Germany should service a Damasko watch.

I vaguely remember something about Damasko using a proprietry lubricant (probably for the 'lubrication cell' around the crown stem). Is there any truth to this?

Also, I read on this thread that:
    Yes, the exact size seals (viton seals) I couldn’t find but the originals were perfect condition so I re-used them (with owners consent) rather than replace with different type of seals. These showed not even slight signs of squashing like most rubber seals would, their stability is far above regular seals. The service was done because of the mvt issue so it wasn’t like the watch was old & tired.

Their cell is just a metal ring with holes in it with a lubricant (they don’t describe exactly) behind to keep the seals lubricated. I actually think this model had a regular seal on the case but I can’t remember now exactly. Their lubricant cell is more critical on pushers on the chronograph.

Great job, James. Isn't that excess dirt on the pallet teeth an over application of epilame, I thought that was the case when I see similar?