closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Keep or sell?

Craftsman

Keep or sell?

Morning all
    Having second thoughts on selling this Seiko 6139.

I was all set to list this,but having had a look at similar models,this one seems to be in much better condition?

The reason for selling is mainly it needs work( power reserve is non existent) so needs resetting every time it's off the wrist and needs a service so has sat in the watch box for 10 years.but having got it out and tried it on I suddenly realized why I bought it!

So,would you get a service and keep,or cut your losses and sell for someone else to sort out?

Kinda thinking I may regret selling but trying to downsize watches I never wear.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Excuse the crap pics,it's much better in the flesh!

It's a tough one. I'm in the same position with my 6138-0030, desperately needs a service and it stops when off the wrist but I always get a kick out of just owning it. It depends if you actually need the money beyond just wanting to get rid of a watch you don't wear anymore. Since you seem to be on the fence with selling it or not I would keep it at least for now, revisit it in 3-6 months and see how you will feel then. You don't want to regret selling it, especially since its in such great condition.

Master
    I would keep it, but thats my opinion only because I have a liking for vintage Seiko's. Your not going to get your money back after the work has been done, and certainly not if you sell it, but it may not cost the earth to have someone to take a look at it for you. There a few guys on here that could do the work for you. After all, only you can decide what you want to do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post

The reason for selling is mainly it needs work( power reserve is non existent) so needs resetting every time it's off the wrist and needs a service so has sat in the watch box for 10 years.

The highlighted bit would be my answer - it's sat for ten years and not really been missed.

They are bringing good money at the moment and there seems to be no shortage of watch bodgers looking for old Seiko models, so my view would be to cash in while the going is good, but that's just me.

Craftsman
    That was my thinking,...until I got it out.its lovely really.

It's not been on the wrist purely due to the issues it has,and the fact I have done nothing about getting the issues sorted out.
    However,maybe it's time for a sale, I'm down to single figures in wristwatches and ideally want to get down to 6 decent pieces I will actually wear,much more of a tool watch kind of man and a couple I own are not.
    Not sure what it will fetch,and probably will take a hit on it but suppose it needs to go.

There is always something I have on a wishlist and ideally will be sticking to the one in,one out plan I am trying to keep to.

That's a very nice thing.

If it still keeps reasonable time when on the wrist maybe try wearing it for a day or two. If it makes you smile when you wear it then consider if you want to spend money on it.

Sometimes when you haven't worn one in a while you just need to re-connect. See if you do, if you don't, flip it.

Master
    This forum is littered with people who sold a watch and then rue the day they done it.

Put it back in its box and one day when you are older and more affluent, you can give it a first class service. That way you will have the watch you love ticking away merrily.

If you sell, you will be back here cursing yourself.

Journeyman
    I’d sell if it was me, it’s been hanging round for 10 year without use. Let it go to someone to enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks to all who replied,its given me food for thought.

I suppose it will cost around £150ish? to put right?,which isn't a huge amount of money,and the mixed replies have left me in a pickle,..I don't need the money from the sale,but it will cost as much as I paid for it to fix..however,its sat there for a long time and could well sit there for as long again if I keep it!

Part of me wants to keep it,part just let go,and as said,let someone else enjoy.
    Its maybe just bone-idleness that has led me to this!

If you sell it then you need to be honest about the mechanical condition which will hurt the value.

I had a 6139 serviced recently by a recommended vintage Seiko watch maker, I had lots of extras like relume, new crystal, minute register hand and a few other spares but the important bit is the service, this came in at £137.00, a service by a known recommended will make sure you can ask top money for it if you decide to sell..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    If you sell it then you need to be honest about the mechanical condition which will hurt the value.

I had a 6139 serviced recently by a recommended vintage Seiko watch maker, I had lots of extras like relume, new crystal, minute register hand and a few other spares but the important bit is the service, this came in at £137.00, a service by a known recommended will make sure you can ask top money for it if you decide to sell..
    That sounds cheap,can you PM me the details of who did the work,it just may sway me to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by abbs View Post
    That sounds cheap,can you PM me the details of who did the work,it just may sway me to keep it.
    Will do