closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Insect bite reaction

Insect bite reaction

Anybody here get reactions to insect bites?

I don’t or at least I thought I didn’t, last week I got bit on the ankle and it itched a bit, yesterday it started to itch more and feel like it was burning, now it’s turned to this -

Trip to the clinic I think!!

Master
    Shit the bed. They look really bad.

Insect bite reaction

Looks like some Strepsils stuck to your ankle My daughter gets similar but unlucky when bit abroad.

Craftsman
    You need to go to hospital and get that treated, before it gets any worse.
    With things like septicemia it can get really nasty if left untreated.

It looks like a horse fly bite

Master
    Go to a clinic. Sepsis is a big problem these days and you don’t want to leave it and risk a large dose of antibiotics further down the road.

Doesn't look infected to me. Had similar water-filled blisters from mosquitoes abroad.

Craftsman
    Ouch! I suffered exactly that kind of reaction after a trip in Northern Uganda a few years ago. We were in sudd swamp and being hammered by all sorts of midges and mozzies.

I remember being hugely reassured when an MSF doctor scrambled onto the plane at Gulu, flopped into the seat across from me, took one look at my ankle and said "Shit! You should get that looked at...."

Armed with this concise diagnosis i went to the clinic as soon as I got back to Entebbe. They cleaned up the bite and put me on Doxycycline.

Bottom line, you need to get it cleaned up and probably take a course of broad spectrum antibiotics.

Good luck!

Corticosteroids asap

That's horrible, you do (as other have said) need to get it looked at ASAP.
    I had a gig in Toulouse a few years ago and ended up with two nasty bites that burned like crazy, went red and swelled up. One on my forearm that was raised around one c and 10 cm long, 6cm wide. Another on my neck that was much smaller but still really uncomfortable. I went to A&E pretty quickly.

Look on the bright side, you have your own pair of Rolex Cyclops!

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    Look on the bright side, you have your own pair of Rolex Cyclops!
    Ha ha lol!! I’m actually at the local emergency clinic wearing my 14060 the non date sub, I’m not really keen on the cyclops hence why I bought the 14060 but have 2 of the buggers on my ankle now!!

Craftsman
    I had bites exactly like that last year when I was staying near to Comares in Spain.
    I popped them and applied some iodine and all was fine. They did itch like mad though!
    Thing is I never felt any of the bites, I had about 50 all over my legs mainly. Not all turned like your picture though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Ha ha lol!! I’m actually at the local emergency clinic wearing my 14060 the non date sub, I’m not really keen on the cyclops hence why I bought the 14060 but have 2 of the buggers on my ankle now!!
    Let us know what they say, I particularly would be interested in the outcome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That looks nasty - just to make you feel better I was talking to a friend a couple of weeks ago and he was complaining about a sore spider bite ..
    They are now looking at amputating the finger !

Some more gross pictures to add!

Clinic sorted it out, they cut away the blisters, cleaned it all up, told me to take antihistamines, antibiotics and keep my leg elevated all weekend, just as well I don’t have anything planned then but at least I have the forum to look through..

Did they say what they reckoned bit you?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Did they say what they reckoned bit you?
    No idea, woke up in the morning with the bites so perhaps some flying insect like a mosquito came in the window overnight.

Might have been a vampire with an ankle fetish, do you have a crucifix or look in a mirror, but in any case keep the curtains closed.

Master
    Pop em and a la'll bit of Savlon, jobs a gud en👍

(Hope they clear up soon).

That is a cellulitis and it's good you're on antibiotics because only they will treat the infection. The black marks are to check whether the infection is spreading.

I'm not sure why people are coming on TZ to post their medical ailments and get advice from non medics. One post above almost made me spit my coffee out. I shan't say which to save embarrassment for the person who posted, suffice to say it was nonsense.

Dr Snowdon

A bit of T-Cut will sort that out

Insect bite reaction

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    That is a cellulitis and it's good you're on antibiotics because only they will treat the infection. The black marks are to check whether the infection is spreading.

I'm not sure why people are coming on TZ to post their medical ailments and get advice from non medics. One post above almost made me spit my coffee out. I shan't say which to save embarrassment for the person who posted, suffice to say it was nonsense.

Dr Snowdon
    Thank you for your diagnosis Dr Snowdon, yes the biro marks are to make sure the redness doesn’t go two finger widths outside this line.

This is the G&D where advice, cars, ailments etc etc are posted, it’s just a bit fun even if it is at the expense of my ankle..

Here is a re-dress picture this morning, stung a bit when I cleaned it with saline solution!

Dr Snowdon
    And ironically, any medical advice over a forum or similar, given by qualified personnel, is on somewhat shaky ground anyhow. So it's a self unfulfilling prophesy.
    Not taking a pop at you, Dr S. You stated a diagnosis after he was treated. Different situation.
    I scoff/smirk/splutter regularly at what is offered (with the very best intentions) as Internet diagnoses.
    On PH yesterday, a bloke said he was itching after a shower, and was instantly told it was diabetes!

Once you have read all this, you see the problems:
    https://www.gmc-uk.org/ethical-guida...-consultations

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Doesn't look infected to me. Had similar water-filled blisters from mosquitoes abroad.
    SWMBO had the same reaction to mozzie bites in Chiang Mai last year.
    Local chemist suggested taking anti histamine tablets as well as a topical ointment.

I hope that you bit the little git back !

Master
    I know one thing, you’ve got more self control than me! I’d have never been able to leave them alone to get that big.

Grand Master

Dr Snowdon
    Id take 100% NO notice of the replies on here about anything only a professional would prescribe,but nevertheless seeing and reading other similar occurrences might have you make a quicker decision as to what to do and/or expect.But for sure a visit to the appropriate dept to get it sorted goes without saying.

Only a fool would try TCut,I'd try Salt & Vinegar first,at least if it stings you stop......wouldn't you!.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 6th May 2019 at 22:28.