closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone for a watches of Switzerland “limited edition” Rolex?

Anyone for a watches of Switzerland “limited edition” Rolex?

I received an email yesterday inviting me to purchase a “limited edition” Rolex to mark 100 years of watches of Switzerland being a Rolex retailer. 30 36mm versions and 70 41mm versions available. Appears to be a bog standard date just with an engraved case back. I politely declined. £3k of the list price goes straight to charity. The watches are circa £12k...thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    It's not even funny.

Master
    An enormously uninspiring offering.

More interesting though is the 30:70 split between the 36mm and 41mm models. I wonder if that's representative of their current respective sales volumes.
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 3rd May 2019 at 08:11.

Are we to assume that WoS do the engraving themselves given that you have a choice of which store you want engraved.

If they are going to knock out a proper LE out at least get Rolex to manufacture the caseback like other Watch makers do rather than shove the Watch in a modern day crap looking computer engraver.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Are we to assume that WoS do the engraving themselves given that you have a choice of which store you want engraved.

If they are going to knock out a proper LE out at least get Rolex to manufacture the caseback like other Watch makers do rather than shove the Watch in a modern day crap looking computer engraver.
    When the email came through I thought this could be interesting, until I opened up the photographs and thought not much efforts gone into that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    It's not even funny.
    Really?
    It looks hilarious 😂, years ago when car sales were slow we'd get a cheap sunroof and go faster stripes fitted, those ''limited editions'' always sold well
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Looks like a Dubai toxic waste

Further proof that engraving a watch tends to devalue it.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Really?
    It looks hilarious , years ago when car sales were slow we'd get a cheap sunroof and go faster stripes fitted, those ''limited editions'' always sold well
    Good point!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Limited edition watch or limited edition engraving either way no thanks.

I'll politely decline.... Thank you

Master
    Your opportunity to celebrate 100 years of the business that won't sell you the watch that you want. Sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Your opportunity to celebrate 100 years of the business that won't sell you the watch that you want.
    ...by buying a watch you really don't want.

It's perfect!

Just awful.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Apparently slapping 'COMEX' on a dial works wonders. Tiffany doesn't seem to do much harm either.

But if Watches of Switzerland want to put advertising on the back of my DJ, I'm afraid they'll have to pay me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Apparently slapping 'COMEX' on a dial works wonders. Tiffany doesn't seem to do much harm either.

But if Watches of Switzerland want to put advertising on the back of my DJ, I'm afraid they'll have to pay me.

The woS watch would be vastly improved by having that coloured date wheel on it rather than a white one.

Craftsman
    Terrible i also saw that WOS were doing an IPO, maybe pat of the marketing campaign :)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-reduces-stake

Let's not be too harsh, sticking 'Harrods' on the back of a Tudor hasn't done much harm.
    Last edited by number2; 3rd May 2019 at 11:34.

Master
    But Harrods BB is Tudor made, with the swamp green bezel as something you can't get elsewhere. This wos pos is totally different!

Although Omega get stick on here for their endless limited editions, at least they put some effort into the caseback. My lad worked in a jewellers for a while and was in charge of the engraving, not because he could do it, just that he was better on a computer than the older guys. Details were entered, said item put in place and push the start button.

No skill, no training, just cheap and nasty looking engraving. WoS obviously have a similar machine 😂

Master
    To be fair to them, the engraving of the building doesn't look bad, it's quite nicely done - it's more the concept of having an engraving of WoS at all, with diamonds too. They have a nice store on Regent Street, but a brand has to be punching at Rolex weight to pull off this kind of dual branding. So a Tiffany Rolex might just seem extra special to someone, while a WoS Rolex should probably just have WoS on the bag. There is a history of stores doing this kind of thing though.

Master
    As a sales bonus for staff I could see the virtue/relevance. As a general item, no.

Master
    I prefer the dominos pizza air king

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Order now for half time

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    But Harrods BB is Tudor made, with the swamp green bezel as something you can't get elsewhere. This wos pos is totally different!
    I was 'kinda' joking lolzz.

Master

That's so bizarre, it's kinda cool.

Looking forward to seeing one on the sales corner for a few grand more than list price!

Master
    Utterly awful. Looks like it was designed by a very old and very tasteless gentleman after his first 'blingy' watch. Two-tone, diamonds, etc. I wonder what that says about WOS's client base?

At least try and make it remotely desirable, for goodness' sake.

And really? You think anyone other than your shareholders cares about your 100th anniversary?

How out-of-touch must WOS be to create this abomination...

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    For that price I’d want an engraving of the face of my favourite member of WoS staff on it and BRIANDUFFY-BRIANDUFFY-BRIANDUFFY engraved on the rehaut

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Looking forward to seeing one on the sales corner for a few grand more than list price!

Looking forward to seeing them in the window at well under RRP for the pre engraved standard Rolex you mean!

Craftsman
    I have no issue with WOS commemorating their centenary, it’s just that the watch they’ve chosen to do it on is particularly ugly. Has a whiff of someone mistakenly ordering 100 extra TT diamond dial Datejusts and WOS finding a creative solution to offload them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A rather disappointing offering. Perhaps WoS should have at least had its own special dial commissioned. Then it might have been a bit more special.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    12 grand for an AHR? (Another Hideous Rolex). I think I will let this one go past me thanks.

However, the joke will be on us when these are changing hands at 25k next year. If I can sell the house by the end of next week I may take an investment punt, what could possibly go wrong?

Craftsman
    So they want to charge £1K for the WoS engraving on what is probably one of the few DateJust configurations that are available with substantial discount elsewhere.

Craftsman

2 for 1 I believe if you collect from the store 😀😀

I am really happy Waste of Space WoS have reached 100 years. They will need another 100 to get shot of these.

Journeyman
    Waste of time. Sorry

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    At least WOS message is consistent. I was told about 6 years for a GMT BLRO. Advised to buy something on display instead.....

Journeyman
    Not for me, though I’m sure there’s one hundred and one people out there to buy one for investment!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Completely agree

Short of the engraving on the back and the minute track its very similar to this from 1984. ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Short of the engraving on the back and the minute track its very similar to this from 1984. ;-)
    Eek! /\ That is a non-Rolex dial, of course. /\

As for Old-Myths marketing department's ugly lily-gilding , I couldn't like the idea less if their watches had

Hatman14
    "Help yourself."

in collaboration with
    Humbert & Ellis.

and the dog-tiird emoticon on the case-back.

Or it were a Cartier 21 Autoscaph on resin strap.

Haywood
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 13th May 2019 at 10:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Eek! /\ That is a non-Rolex dial, of course. /\

As for Old-Myths marketing department's ugly lily-gilding , I couldn't like the idea less if it had

Hatman14
    "Help yourself."

in collaboration with
    Humbert & Ellis.

and the dog-tiird emoticon on the case-back.

Haywood
    Interesting. I was always under the impression it was a genuine dial. Has it had aftermarket diamond markers put on? I don't know a great deal about it, it was my late father in laws watch.

Master
    Interesting. I was always under the impression it was a genuine dial. Has it had aftermarket diamond markers put on? I don't know a great deal about it, it was my late father in laws watch.
    Can't really say from such an image, but at best it might be a genuine dial plate that has had the printing and diamonds added later. The style suggests late 1990s ff. It is not Rolex work. There are many of this type in the market and if you like it thus, with any happy memories attached, it should really be no problem, just enjoy it for all that it still is --- movement, case etc should all be just as good.

H

Can't really say from such an image, but at best it might be a genuine dial plate that has had the printing and diamonds added later. The style suggests late 1990s ff. It is not Rolex work. There are many of this type in the market and if you like it thus, with any happy memories attached, it should really be no problem, just enjoy it for all that it still is --- movement, case etc should all be just as good.

H
    Thanks for the info.

It's not a watch I wear as I'm not a fan of bi-metal but its good to get a bit of history. Could I send you a couple of better photos via PM?

Master
    Thanks for the info.

It's not a watch I wear as I'm not a fan of bi-metal but its good to get a bit of history. Could I send you a couple of better photos via PM?
    Of course, but conclusion may be same.

Of course, but conclusion may be same.
    Yeah, not a problem at all. Just be happy to know.

Thanks

Master
    Calling it "Date-Just" in the pamphlet inspires confidence too! Yes I'd love a timeshar.. I mean Rolex!

- - - Updated - - -

Calling it "Date-Just" in the pamphlet inspires confidence too! Yes I'd love a timeshar.. I mean Rolex!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Utterly awful. Looks like it was designed by a very old and very tasteless gentleman after his first 'blingy' watch. Two-tone, diamonds, etc. I wonder what that says about WOS's client base?
    I'm led to believe it is a modern day interpretation of the first Rolex Northern Goldsmiths sold.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=donsaini;5095454]Not for me, though I’m sure there’s one hundred and one people out there to buy one for investment!!

And any remaining could be allocated to WOS staff. Although I’m sure many would rather have a choice of watch