closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: YouTube macro shots: Rolex, Omega, Patek, Seiko and Grand Seiko, Lange

Journeyman

YouTube macro shots: Rolex, Omega, Patek, Seiko and Grand Seiko, Lange

Very revealing macro photography in this video.

Some personal amateur observations from purely these shots. No fanboys, please!

0:12 - The least said, the better. At least the lume, hands and indices at 0:09 look clean and tidy if not spectacular, the standard for a functional everyday 'good' watch.

0:37 - Omega manage to apply the red coating to their hands more successfully.
    0:40 - Not a like-for-like shot but the date printing looks crisper than the Rolex at 0:16.
    0:45 - Clean and functional finishing on this particular aspect of the movement which is in keeping with the purpose of the watch. But on closer look I think that might be a piece of dirt on or inside the jewel?

0:58 - The Seiko is the least ambitious in the finish it wants to achieve but this is commensurate with the price and market positioning. Nothing wrong with the execution of it here. In fact, I'm surprised just how well it holds up to the competition.
    1:06 - On higher magnification it becomes clear that the cheapest watch here does not stand up to the very best, but this is stating the obvious.

1:15 - As the sweep seconds hand glides over the 3 marker you can see the striping of the indices perfectly reflected off the seconds hand! Stunning!
    1:19 - Brushing and mirror (or even black?) polishing on the hands with dramatic angled edges. Easily the most impressive of all the shots here, I think.
    1:23 - Indices finished to that incredible standard as well.
    1:26 - Is that a fibre on the GMT hand? Possible dirt on the stem of the hand too.

1:40 - Placing the Patek after the Grand Seiko does not do the former any favours. The indices are clean but the effect on the eye is less than jaw-dropping.
    1:51 - Everything looks clean and functional (but does it even look a million miles off the Omega?). It's certainly a million miles off the finishing the great houses used to do, closed casebacks in those days too!

2:13 - Not many shots but we all know about Lange and what they do. Nothing here seems to detract that for me.

Lastly, this is not my video and I'm sure the person who made it does not need to say this. But it's probably worth rehearsing anyway: All that can be said from the video is simply about the watches that were captured on the video. Any comment about other watches produced by the respective brands starts creeping into unsubstantiated speculation. We also do not know if there watches have been serviced before and by whom.
    Last edited by Kallang; 10th May 2019 at 15:27.