closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: To buy or not to buy...

Journeyman

To buy or not to buy...

Morning all,

Instead of hiding in the shadows and getting watch envy I thought I would ask the opinions of others more knowledgeable than myself!

So for a while I've been looking for a new do all, everyday watch and rather like the Tudor BB58.

Obviously there's a but.

The but being the Sea dweller 16600.

Ignoring the price difference for which I could get the BB and a nice vintage chrono, I'm not thinking of buying the Rolex as an investment, but something to hang on to.

My thoughts are that the prices keep increasing and if I bought the BB58 now and still wanted an SD in a couple of years the prices will have gone up to a point where its not worth buying, especially for an everyday. (Admittedly I'm late to the whole Rolex buying business!)

End of ramble...

Any opinions are much appreciated!

Andy

Buy the Sea Dweller.

You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Buy the Sea Dweller.

You're welcome
    Well said

Master
    Another vote for the SD

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The SD will fare better over the years.

Classic SS Rolex, no more to be said!

Journeyman

Now these are the kind of opinions I like!

Thanks!

Master
    Predictable responses!

Is the SD wearable for you as everyday? It's a lot bigger than a bb58. You may be fine with it but might not.

Where will you get the SD? It'll be challenging to get one new from an AD.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post

+1

If you’re thinking of buying a SS Rolex, the best time to buy it is almost invariably now!

This rule of thumb may change in the future but shows no signs of doing so at the present time.

A BB58 is likely to still be available at pretty much the same price next year or the year after.

Master

+2

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Predictable responses!

Is the SD wearable for you as everyday? It's a lot bigger than a bb58. You may be fine with it but might not.

Where will you get the SD? It'll be challenging to get one new from an AD.
    He specifically mentioned the 16600,not the SD50.

Master

And another one from me. It is a classic that will sail through the storms of time.

Master
    In 5 years time you’ll be picking up the out of favour SD for peanuts. So enjoy the Tudor for a while and pick up the SD then.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troymcclure72 View Post
    In 5 years time you’ll be picking up the out of favour SD for peanuts. So enjoy the Tudor for a while and pick up the SD then.

Removes tongue from cheek!

Grand Master
    Another vote for the SD.Wearing mine today.

Seadweller for sure ...

Craftsman
    Agree to go with the sea dweller as the 16600 is very wearable. It will be >2x the price of the BB58 though so cost will factor in.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the replies, I was leaning heavily toward the SD so good to know my thoughts are rational!

Definitely not looking for new SD, aside from cost and availability I don't have the wrist real estate to wear one.

If they happen to be peanuts in a few years, I'll buy a 2nd for a spare!

To buy or not to buy...

It’s still a lot thicker... 12mm vs 15mm (not sure on exact numbers but that sounds right).

Other than that, I don’t really have anything to add. Seadwellers are unlikely to decrease in value, the 58 is unlikely to increase in value. Only the ETA Black Bay Black has ‘investment’ potential amongst the modern Tudors IMO.

ETA: If you want a watch that will appreciate in value, spend a few grand more on a Sea-Dweller 4000 (the 116600). Only ran for a couple of years, last of the 40mm Seadwellers, modern clasp and fully gradated bezel.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 2nd May 2019 at 15:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon
    Only the ETA Black Bay Black has ‘investment’ potential amongst the modern Tudors IMO.

Another one that I let go too soon!

Another one that I let go too soon!
    Can still pick one up for about £3k... Only a few thousand about its believed, which is very low volume for a Rolex diver.

Master
    I had one when they were first released, wouldn't pay more that RRP now.

Master
    I bought my 16600 12 years ago and whilst other watches have come and gone the Sea Dweller remains a constant favourite.

Wearing it for the first time in a couple of months today. On leather strap, to go with work suite, and it looks as good as ever.

The Tudor is a lovely watch but personally I believe the 16600 is a classic.

Master
    Was that a 3 piece suite?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd go for the watch that speaks to you the most, forget the cost.

If you aren't sure on which then maybe wait until you are.

Investment wise though it's a no brainer. The Tudor will lose value and lose value and then lose some more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post

ETA: If you want a watch that will appreciate in value, spend a few grand more on a Sea-Dweller 4000 (the 116600). Only ran for a couple of years, last of the 40mm Seadwellers, modern clasp and fully gradated bezel.
    Now that's one I still have! It's away to the Rolex spa right now and will be heading to somewhere safe when it returns. It ran for 3 years, 2014-2017, shortest run of any modern SS Rolex. Universally unpopular when it was released, as it looked "too much like a sub" at £2k more.

Master
    I found the 43mm Seadweller a more comfortable watch than the 40mm version, which always felt a bit top heavy. If you get the chance, try both sizes and see what you think.
    My own guess (guess) is that the 43mm will end-up as the ‘classic’ version . Whatever the theory, on the wrist it just feels right.

I guess it really depends which you like best.

For me the 16600 is the best watch Rolex have ever made - ok the bracelet has moved on, but we are many many years after the introduction of the 16660 and 16600's - they had 1200m is a normal, almost Submariner sized watch when Omega had the Ploprof for only 600m.

In any case they are both great watches and it really comes down to your taste and wearability - I am sure both would suit me fit and could be used day to day. I have had too many 16600's to shake a stick at have a good number of Black Bays. I like the idea of both - as they are both very different looking watches. I'm yet to try a 58 as anything more than trying on in a store, and will need to see what one is like as a purchase - but part of me likes the "Big Block" case of the original Black Bays, and even the COSC versions.

There are other options though. If you don't want a date then a 14060 makes a lot of sense. if you'd like a date I would have recommended the 16610LV as the perfect alternative, with having a maxi dial and hands it really is easier to read then the earlier white gold plot surround models, but prices have gone pretty crazy lately.

For me at the minute, at least compared to the craze for other Rolex sports models, the 16600 remains a very good buy/price - and I wish I had keep a few more of mine.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Was that a 3 piece suite?
    Oooops. That should read suit.

Master
    Can still pick one up for about £3k... Only a few thousand about its believed, which is very low volume for a Rolex diver.
    Except it isn't a rolex diver

Master
    Like I said....it'll be a challenge to get a new one from an AD

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Like I said....it'll be a challenge to get a new one from an AD

Good effort! 9/10!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I found the 43mm Seadweller a more comfortable watch than the 40mm version, which always felt a bit top heavy. If you get the chance, try both sizes and see what you think.
    My own guess (guess) is that the 43mm will end-up as the ‘classic’ version . Whatever the theory, on the wrist it just feels right.
    My experience too. I don't have the largest wrists but the 43 sat better than the 40, the balance was better.

To buy or not to buy...

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Except it isn't a rolex diver
    It’s a Rolex product. Its part of the Rolex/Tudor diver lineage. I think the 79220N has a happy future values-wise, in a way that it wouldn’t if Tudor wasn’t part of Rolex.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 2nd May 2019 at 21:14.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I guess it really depends which you like best.

For me the 16600 is the best watch Rolex have ever made - ok the bracelet has moved on, but we are many many years after the introduction of the 16660 and 16600's - they had 1200m is a normal, almost Submariner sized watch when Omega had the Ploprof for only 600m.

In any case they are both great watches and it really comes down to your taste and wearability - I am sure both would suit me fit and could be used day to day. I have had too many 16600's to shake a stick at have a good number of Black Bays. I like the idea of both - as they are both very different looking watches. I'm yet to try a 58 as anything more than trying on in a store, and will need to see what one is like as a purchase - but part of me likes the "Big Block" case of the original Black Bays, and even the COSC versions.

There are other options though. If you don't want a date then a 14060 makes a lot of sense. if you'd like a date I would have recommended the 16610LV as the perfect alternative, with having a maxi dial and hands it really is easier to read then the earlier white gold plot surround models, but prices have gone pretty crazy lately.

For me at the minute, at least compared to the craze for other Rolex sports models, the 16600 remains a very good buy/price - and I wish I had keep a few more of mine.
    I do like the 16610LV but the prices are bonkers, should of picked one up a few years ago when I had the chance!

Thanks all for the replies!

Definitely something to think about.

You will most likely want the SD in the future....so better get it now.

Journeyman
    SD vote from me

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It’s a Rolex product. Its part of the Rolex/Tudor diver lineage. I think the 79220N has a happy future values-wise, in a way that it wouldn’t if Tudor wasn’t part of Rolex.
    It will be a very expensive watch at some stage. I’d guess likely higher than the commensurate Rolex Submariner one day, as per some rarer models of the Tudor Submariners.

Might take between 20-40 years though ;). Or much quicker judging by the completely crazy and unpredictable used market.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    It really isn't of diver lineage. The 100m WR Oyster case is more akin to the other professional series watches, GMT-II or Explorer-II.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    It really isn't of diver lineage. The 100m WR Oyster case is more akin to the other professional series watches, GMT-II or Explorer-II.
    The Black Bay has its own style of case, not in the traditional Oyster style (whereas the old Tudor Submariners did have an Oyster case). It’s still a 200m-proof diver’s watch, with rotating bezel, made by the Rolex company.

Unless you’re talking about the Black Bay 36/41/Chronograph, which I certainly do not consider as part of the Rolex diving lineage.

Journeyman
    I recently took myself off of a wait list for the BB58 and decided to wait a little longer and go for a Sea Dweller. I loved the look and feel of the BB58 but when I got the chance try the Sea Dweller it blew the Tudor out of the water (which it should do really for the price difference)

In my opinion I would say go for the sea-dweller, you'll be happy either way though

Porsche and VW share the same lineage, and even share some parts, but they are not the same product.

If the OP is looking for a better watch with great residual potential, then the SD, especially the 16600, would be the best pick.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bclark View Post
    I recently took myself off of a wait list for the BB58 and decided to wait a little longer and go for a Sea Dweller. I loved the look and feel of the BB58 but when I got the chance try the Sea Dweller it blew the Tudor out of the water (which it should do really for the price difference)

In my opinion I would say go for the sea-dweller, you'll be happy either way though
    Funnily enough, my thoughts exactly.

Its a lot more watch, although a lot more cash!

A long weekend seems like a perfect time go watch shopping I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Porsche and VW share the same lineage, and even share some parts, but they are not the same product.

If the OP is looking for a better watch with great residual potential, then the SD, especially the 16600, would be the best pick.
    Yes, but I believe there’s various ownerships within the VW-Audi Group (or whatever it’s called nowadays). The Hans Wilsdorf Foundation owns both Rolex and Tudor in its entirety. I view Tudors as Tudor watches, but a Rolex SA product. It’s a small disagreement, my point being that Tudor values (specifically vintage sports watches and the rare 79220N) benefit from the long history with Rolex.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don’t think you can sensibility compare the two given the huge difference in price.

Both are excellent watches at the respective price points.

The Rolex has significantly more heft and you have to take that into consideration. The 58 is quite modest for a dive watch and has a vintage feel.

They are really quite different.

From an investment perspective I’d expect the Rolex to win out but there are better investments than watches.

I have a 58 and I am really pleased with it, it’s new modern movement with 70hr reserve is good and runs very accurate.

The 58 will not satisfy someone who yearns for a SD. But it is a very nice watch in its own right.

Basically they are two very different value propositions.
    Last edited by Montello; 3rd May 2019 at 19:48.

Journeyman
    Rolex. The Tudor will still be there in a few years

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk