closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sometimes, The simplest things can be special

Sometimes, The simplest things can be special

I've been having a bad year this year. Mum died in January, then an elder cousin in March, and another elder cousin in April. The latter of whom I was sole executor to her will and had the dubious pleasure of sorting through and disposing of her things as she had no immediate family and I was her closest relative. Of course, there were things of family importance such as photographs; and it was whilst wading through the various boxes of photographs from around the world, (she was very well travelled and had lived in Africa, South America and Canada), that I came across a letter addressed to her in Canada that I was astounded and delighted to read, (even though I knew she was a trained nurse out there); and something she never spoke about....

I was fortunate to also find the digital clock which is pictured with the letter above. Of course, the batteries are long exhausted, but it makes a great paperweight as it's quite heavy for its size

I'd love to get this working again, though I suspect the the battery will have leaked by now as I don't think she'd ever tried to replace it. There is a notch on the underside of the case but there doesn't seem to be any mechanism to release the front module, so if anyone has come across something like this and knows how to get into it I'd be very grateful to find out.

A family heirloom with an interesting piece of history. Something to treasure in such sad times.
    Last edited by Griswold; 2nd May 2019 at 11:30.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

What a lovely letter!

I imagine now it would be 'As a token of our gratitude, please find enclosed a voucher for our Signature EasyJet Cheese Toasty®©™ [cannot be used in conjunction with any other voucher, offer or discount code]'

Isn't that little bit of metal you can see essentially like a little spring catch? Get something on the other side of it and I imagine that'll pop the front off.

Master
    What a great little story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great story. Hope you can get it working again.

Sorry to hear of your losses mate ,I also had a year like that 2011 to be precise
    First was the father in-law then my mother then uncles and aunts ,Last couple of year it’s my friends who are going to the other side
    Great story but heartfelt sympathy also

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice letter; sorry for your recent losses ...

Master
    What a lovely memento to have, despite the unfortunate circumstances.

If only flying and airlines were like they were back in 1985! I can never imagine Michael O'Leary sending such a letter of gratitude!

Master
    From a more civilized and considerate era. Nice story, ta.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear from your loss.

If this letter sums up your mom’s attitude towards life and other people, then this letter should be in a more exposed spot than a drawer. For me, in this case, the letter would be more important than the clock. (Having said that, I would also try and get the clock running again).

Menno

Thanks for all the kind words guys, much appreciated.

Yes, things went at a different pace back then, and perhaps people had time to be 'nicer' unlike today's drive for profit at all costs! Some of the other things I found were tickets and brochures for many of the ships my cousin travelled on back then; the ships were far more luxurious, (opulent?), than today's, what a wonderful way it must have been to travel.

@hughtrimble. There are actually two bits of metal in that slot, one at the front of the slot and one at the rear. Sadly, neither of them move either forwards or backwards up or down. The slot must exist as a means of opening the clock, but I can't fathom how - and I've used quite a lot of pressure trying.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

What a smashing letter. The writing (not simply the writing of it) is exceptional compared to corporate life today.

Something pleasant for you to have found amid the unpleasantness of your year. I hope it augurs well for you.

And I would remove the red felt from the base to see if that sheds any light on disassembly...

I’m sorry you’ve had a rough year, Peter. It’s weird how things seem to happen one after another at certain stages of our lives.

The letter is delightful, and has been said, beautifully written.

Simon

What a lovely discovery about your cousin's life and a super memento.

I wonder whether the module is a simple friction fit with the notch intended as somewhere to allow a lever to be inserted. I'd be very reluctant to prise the felt from the base for fear of damaging it.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 3rd May 2019 at 17:14.

Master
    Lovely letter - from the days when people really cared and customer service was still "a thing" instead of an exception.

(Feeling cynical - bad day lol)

Very sorry for your sad losses.

Master
    Not a good start to the year at all, condolences, they do say things come in 3s so hopefully it will get better, that's a gift from an era when good customer service was normal not a rarity, good luck with the battery efforts.

Master
    We may often feel that the milk of human kindness has well and truly gone off, so it's nice to get reassurance that it's only mildly yoghurty at the edges...

On a recent flight I took to Singapore from London, an elderly passenger took unwell and there was a lovely nurse on the flight who was very quick to jump into the situation and provide lots of help, attention and very calm reassurance to the lady who was very obviously distressed. Cabin crew had no hesitation in moving the nurse to a business class seat once it had all calmed down to let her get some rest and lots of people around all chipped in to get her a little gift from the duty free trolley to say thanks for her superb professionalism. I love stuff like that - helps you sleep at night.

SGR