closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Experience with RubberB on Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post
    Not trying to be funny, but if you joined the forum just to complain about Rubber B... why did you call yourself RubberB on here?
    Maybe Rubber Johnny was spoken for ??

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post

The strap is still very usable after 3 years with some surface degradation and minor cracking,
    I don't think anything here points to a manufacturing or rubber compound fault.
    If it where the watch itself, it'd be called patina.
    Last edited by reggie747; 2nd May 2019 at 15:33.

I wouldn't have expected the deterioration displayed on that watch, based the stated use. I'd also expect a manufacturer to offer to review the item and determine if it was down to a manufacturing/curing fault. For £200 I'd be annoyed in the same position - even my heavily used Hirsch pure straps look considerably better.

A number of people have said they have one and it is fine - but what has been the real world use? I have a Rubber B myself, but to be fair I have possibly worn it 3 times maximum in the years I've owned it - it looks better than the OP's one though ;)

As for Rolex - I believe Everest Bands are or were OEM supplier to both Rolex and Tudor.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    A number of people have said they have one and it is fine - but what has been the real world use?
    To add some quantification to my earlier comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    My RubberB has seen a lot of sunshine and spent many hours in seawater without any evidence of degradation.
    about 40 days of strong (Egypt, Jordan, Caribbean) sunshine and about 80 hours immersion in seawater (additionally also swimming pools, saunas and jacuzzis).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wanted to try the Rubber B on my Submariner but I didn't want to pay £200 & find that I didn't like it. I therefore bought the Cousins one for £20. It looks virtually identical if not identical to the Rubber B one. I tried it, didn't like it & went back to the bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I wanted to try the Rubber B on my Submariner but I didn't want to pay £200 & find that I didn't like it. I therefore bought the Cousins one for £20. It looks virtually identical if not identical to the Rubber B one. I tried it, didn't like it & went back to the bracelet.
    I’ve a rubber b on my Exp II at the moment. It’s actually stayed on for longer than usual but never stays on for more than a few weeks. It makes a nice change and also a nice change when switching back to the bracelet which is why I keep it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’ve a rubber b on my Exp II at the moment. It’s actually stayed on for longer than usual but never stays on for more than a few weeks. It makes a nice change and also a nice change when switching back to the bracelet which is why I keep it.
    I think it looks quite nice but one thing that I don't like is a light watch. I prefer a bit of heft on my wrist. That's why I bought a Dreadnought PRS-2 :-)

- - - Updated - - -

That's the Cousin's Rubber B BTW

I don't know how RubberB compares to other rubber straps in the "long lasting" competition.
    However I can see the problem here. If a rubber strap stands 2-3 years of heavy use and then dies is all right.
    But why on earth should a f...ing rubber strap cost £200?
    And don't tell me that this or that rubber strap is so outstanding in material or quality etc.
    Otherwise you believe in marketing blabla and therefore is your mistake that companies can sell a ruber strap for 10 times of ist real value.
    (Don't tell me that a £5000 or £10000 watch deserves a £200 strap, because the watch is also overpriced in a similar scale.)
    I think the OP is not right that a rubber strap should last 2-3 years and looking new still. But he is right that a £200 product should last longer than that.
    If it was a £20 strap he wouldn't even take the time to sign up to the forum but simply grab another one.

Can’t disagree with any of the above!

There is no doubt that the prices they charge are an exercise in pant-pulling.
    Every rubber strap needs a good mould and decent rubber. After that, the cost of production is totally minimal (unlike straps that require gluing, stitching etc etc).
    Bonneto Cinturini used to sell their ones for under €10 if bought in numbers, and even though they have gained a good reputation and have suffered inflation, they are only £28, and I have some that are over 5 years old and still fine.
    £200 is a joke, it is the "emperor's new clothes" of watchstraps.
    Dave

That’s true but I think Omega’s £150 NATOs are the biggest pant pulling exercise.

That’s true but I think Omega’s £150 NATOs are the biggest pant pulling exercise.
    Rolex are the uptime pant pullers though surely when they charged £1k for their old Oyster band that was in production for years.
    Cheers..
    Jase

This ^
    And I'm not really convinced you get better quality than a NATO from our host.

Craftsman
    Initially when I read this thread I thought the OP was making a song and dance about nothing, however revisiting it and reading his articulate and measured response I feel I have to agree...
    £200 is an enormous amount of money for a rubber strap!!! Most of my friends don't spend that on a watch!!!!
    Rubber b also make bold claims etc about how superior their product is and then refuse to do anything when it fails??
    In contrast I bought a rubber strap for my longines legend diver with deployant for about £160 I've had it 3 years and it still looks brand new, it has been immersed in salt water/showers/suncream etc... maybe not as much use as the OPs strap but still used and still looking good...
    In short I feel he is right to feel aggrieved.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    From my perspective, I think the customer service aspect is disappointing as at that price supplying a goodwill replacement is a reasonable expectation.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I would be disappointed if I had bought one and it had deteriorated to that extent within 3 years.

Has anyone tried the Hirsch rubber straps?

Hirsch have a good reputation and the straps are about a quarter of the price of RubberB. Must admit I’m tempted to give them a try.

Master
    I be a bit miffed at their response, even if they asked to have the trap returned for inspection before refusing any further action, but at £200 and a F off seems rather strong.
    Last edited by Pitfitter; 4th May 2019 at 17:12.

£200 buys a serious amount of rubber if you are willing to accept the name Goodyear, Continental or Pirelli on the side of it.

Yes tyres are mass produced but they are designed to withstand fairly extreme conditions and stresses. £200 for a watch strap does seem to be excessive.

It is amusing to see the responses suggesting someone is entitled to a replacement after three years of use for a rubber strap. £200 is indeed quite a lot of money for a rubber strap but no one is forcing anyone to buy one. There are alternatives available to buy instead of cribbing about the cost. Isofranes also cost quite a bit and also has alternatives.
    There is a difference between the cheaper alternatives and Rubber B but whether it is enough to justify the price differential is an individual decision. Trying to equate the cost of production to selling price is what is a luxury goods market is a bit naive. It is telling that the OP has kind of disappeared after lighting the fire.

Bad Experience with RubberB on Rolex

99% of sport Rolex does in my opinion look far better on the bracelet, but for a change of scenery I can see the RubberB does look good.

After reading all the evidence posted I can concur that I will be looking to buy a Cousins version of this strap, seriously though £15.95 or £14.35 if you buy 2 or more is a great price for when you want that change of look.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/ro...ariner-generic
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 5th May 2019 at 07:43.

I think Rubber B were really stupid in the way they handled this. Why not firmly state that they can't be responsible for any signs of wear and tear in such an old strap, but as a gesture of goodwill offer a 20% discount on the next purchase? They would still be making profit and I bet most customers would see it as a reasonable offer. Imagine someone complaining on a forum that my three-year-old strap looked old and the bastards only offered me 20 percent. It'd take the starch right out of the whine.