closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fundraiser performing badly

Fundraiser performing badly

Given the number of members and Sales Corner activity, I expected better.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

It is disappointing and as you say the membership numbers are high now, TBH the membership has changed a lot over the years but the rules haven’t really moved with the times.
    Perhaps use this thread for some ideas on how it can be improved to get the fundraiser back up?

Considering dealers, there is no doubt 10% donation of FS value would put them off which I believe was the intent to keep an in-house buy/sell system.
    Times have changed and with Rolex increasingly growing in asking prices (could be applied to certain Speedmaster’s too) it’s led to most Rolex sales turning into a circus, a more fair donation rule would increase sales, hopefully curb the agro and of course grow the fundraiser.
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 1st May 2019 at 08:14.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I know you are busy Eduardo, but maybe spend a bit of time in SC, noting the dealers or " prolific sellers" and just send them a polite pay up or pi$$ off message!.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I know you are busy Eduardo, but maybe spend a bit of time in SC, noting the dealers or " prolific sellers" and just send them a polite pay up or pi$$ off message!.
    He's a Yorkshireman: direct and blunt trumps polite. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

If all the 'dealers' (inc. the shameless three-items-a-week-max market traders) paid their fair share the total would be more respectable.

Yep this is a joke, as pointed out in the other thread just £242 donated from NINE members in the last 14 days.

£90 of that was from one declared dealer so at least he's doing the right thing.

I reckon it should be highlighted, if necessary in every thread, that something should be provided for Eddie's desire to see charity benefit from his free listing service.

2% of sales above £250 seems a simple rule - some stuff free to save chasing for pennies, then £5 absolute minimum and upwards e.g. £100 on a £5,000 item. Dealer or otherwise!

I think the fund raiser needs to be better understood.

I have been a member for a couple of years, and read a lot more than I post. I've figured out that the fundraiser is a charity donation via these sort of posts, but I imagine most have no real idea what it funds or how to donate (particularly with app users not seeing things the way web users do).

I would suggest 3 things:
    - A sticky explaining the fundraiser fully
    - An update and simplification of the SC rules (current sticky says "no dealers" but we all know this is not the case)
    -A rule to restrict SC threads to constructive information or enquiries only. They often go down in flames and I doubt lots of people want to sell or donate after being flamed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    2% of sales above £250 seems a simple rule - some stuff free to save chasing for pennies, then £5 absolute minimum and upwards e.g. £100 on a £5,000 item. Dealer or otherwise!
    I agree.

I also think that giving to the charity fund should not be exclusively linked to selling, the forum provides far more than just the SC.

Perhaps some of the more prolific contributors would get their hands in pockets as appreciation for the facilities. Some names are conspicuously absent from the list of donors.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

What appears to be overlooked here is that the fundraiser is not SOLELY about SC.

Anyone here is free to donate any amount for whatever reason they see fit. My last donation (and it’s been a few months now) was due to a bet I made with Raffe. I, and many others here, have also made donations for reasons entirely unconnected with SC.

The rule regarding SC and fundraiser donations is aimed solely at dealers; they weren’t allowed to post on SC but did so anyway. Eddie therefore ruled that they were allowed to post as long as they donated 10% of the sale proceeds to the fundraiser. Of course, to many dealers, the contributing part was conveniently forgotten or interpreted in some other way. The honest dealers on here who make a full contribution based on Eddie’s rule, are few and far between.

Those members who aren’t dealers and use SC occasionally have no obligation to pay into the fundraiser, although many do.

We all use this (free) forum so we should all contribute at least a small amount to the fundraiser occasionally, if only as a sign of our appreciation of the facility Eddie has given us!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 1st May 2019 at 12:47.

Master
    I do believe the time is arriving with the increased membership and significant price rise of watches across the board that some form of payment should be made towards Eddies charity. No fee sales are an obvious reason so many plump for the SC and not other sales platform.
    Maybe along the lines of,

£1000-£1500 = £5
    £1500-£2500 =£10
    £2500-£5000 =£15
    £5000-£7500 =£20
    £7500-£10000 =£30 etc, etc

Then there should be regular payments to the fundraiser, I understand this all sounds easy on paper but as a community we need to come together to sort out what should be the gentlemanly way of supporting the only thing Eddie really asks of us, which is to support the fundraiser.

I sense a fundraiser raffle approaching.

Master
    From what I can see you can restrict members from seeing different parts of the forum? Just charge anyone who wants to see the sales corner and the bear pit a £10 donation a year for each one. Most will want access to both.

Blog Entries
    People should put their hand in their pocket if they sell things as a dealer for sure, but others should as well.

Perhaps the regular flaming of ads for certain makes isn't helping the sales of expensive watches. Such comments could be restricted to the BP, and not on the advert threads themselves. Although some would seem to be deserved, some are a bit nitpicking. If an ad was in direct contravention of the rules perhaps a pm to the boss would be all that was needed.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I read this post a couple of days ago and keep thinking about it. This forum is all about watches, but how many people come here and gain so much in other ways. Apart from enjoying chatting with genuine like minded people how much have you actually learnt from others here? Be it advice on where to go in a town or city, what car deals are out there, doing up your house, legal, financial or even relationship matters, this forum gives so much back.

Of course we’d all carry on in life without it, but come on be honest, we’d all miss it. I’m sure most of us wouldn’t miss a fiver or tenner though or raffle something on sales corner for the fundraiser. If you can, take a few minutes and do it.

Master
    Ironic that the self appointed mods,forum stalwarts and most of those whose posts are in the tens of thousands are so quiet when it comes to donations. Cough up.

Master
    How about introducing the Fundraiser in the Want To Buy dept, for those who successfully find their ‘Buy’ ?

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Ironic that the self appointed mods,forum stalwarts and most of those whose posts are in the tens of thousands are so quiet when it comes to donations. Cough up.
    Really? In my experience there's a fairly even spread of new and long serving members when it comes to supporting fundraising activities here. Many of the items offered for fundraiser donations and charity raffles come from 'forum stalwarts'.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Really?

Please provide a backup for your statement.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post
    How about introducing the Fundraiser in the Want To Buy dept, for those who successfully find their ‘Buy’ ?
    They can already contribute or do you mean if they want 3 per week make it compulsory?.

Craftsman
    Why not have a separate fundraiser tab where forum users can get rid of stuff with the funds going to a fundraiser paypal addy ?

I have a few watches I would happily donate but am not able to sell anything at present due to membership status

This is better :-)

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Eddie
    Your timely reminder worked well then.

R

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    This. Or have a couple of moderators for SC.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    No, no, no, no, moderators have been the death of any forum I've been on that has them. Owner-dictators and a largely sensible user community is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    ...Owner-dictators and a largely sensible user community ...
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    No, no, no, no, moderators have been the death of any forum I've been on that has them. Owner-dictators and a largely sensible user community is the only way.
    +1 on that. Moderators can be a double edged sword I think. Rather have one boss to answer to, not a bunch of 'em.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Banned
    Ugh ok then let's just keep it exactly the way it is with people taking the piss.

The thing I find quite laughable is the thread "New Rolex sales not allowed" still right there but has been ignored I don't know how many times. That kinda shows how little Eddie gives af about it really. Why even bother making this thread if nothing is going to be done about the piss takers.

SC here makes fleabay look good sometimes.

Modding works very well on WUS sales section. It would be a welcome improvent here and wouldn't cause any issues at all.

Master
    Mods are like politicians, those that put themselves forward for the role are the least suitable to hold it.

Master
    Ugh ok then let's just keep it exactly the way it is with people taking the piss.

The thing I find quite laughable is the thread "New Rolex sales not allowed" still right there but has been ignored I don't know how many times. That kinda shows how little Eddie gives af about it really. Why even bother making this thread if nothing is going to be done about the piss takers.

Modding works very well on WUS sales section. It would be a welcome improvent here and wouldn't cause any issues at all.
    The last thing this place needs is mini dictators deciding whats appropriate.
    A no from me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    The last thing this place needs is mini dictators deciding whats appropriate.
    A no from me.
    Ok you're more important than getting more money for the fundraiser, clearly. Seems like a few people have the same attitude.

That kinda shows how little Eddie gives af about it really.
    More like prioritisation I'd say. Single-handedly running a labour-intensive business and putting the clients first and foremost as opposed to a sideline forum that costs a lot of money to run.

R

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Talking of attitude!

Not a bad effort at all. They are worthy causes and if we all remember to give a little from time to time perhaps there won't be any need for further reminders.

As for the (selfappointed) moderators it seems the BP is full of them.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I'd be very happy if you were to take on that role, James... the place would be a lot safer for everyone IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'd be very happy if you were to take on that role, James... the place would be a lot safer for everyone IMO.

Amazing what a little nudging achieved

A contender for both the "Most Impossible" post and "Most Humorous" post categories in this years TZ awards.
    F.T.F.A.

Around £630 gone in this week (excl. Gift Aid)

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    I sense a fundraiser raffle approaching.
    I did one recently for a Nintendo game thingy. Got about £40

Others were selling the same one but for personal sale and they were getting around £70

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk