closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

I think I have one of the most beautiful watch currently on SC

It is priced at less than I paid for

It’s a fairly low numbered limited edition, which as per recent Omega history it’s very likely to go up in price within the next year or two.. one hint being the first of this series to show up on Chrono24 at over RRP

I have all positive feedback on H&V

So naturally I’ve started to wonder.. what am I doing wrong?

I didnt even get more than one comment on the thread despite putting it up twice..

Anyway, I’ll leave it to you to make me understand my faults

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serious lack of buyers at the moment, even at very reasonable pricing. Two pieces of mine should have flown out the door but nope, nothing at all.

Over half of listings are for non-watch items which doesn't help by making stuff drop off the front page very quickly.

Beautiful watches take longer to sell on SC, they need time to get under people's skin.

Master
    It’s a small sales forum dominated by interest in ‘sports’ watches, especially Rolex. Good stuff doesn’t always sell. Not your fault and not a lot you can do...except find another way to sell.

I would take a good direct face-on shot. The current pics are all at angles or macro. People need to see how it looks in the round, if that makes sense.

That's only my opinion though. It will sell – it's a lovely watch but as stated above, it will need time to grow on people.

And it's not a Rolex

I might get flamed for this but I find non-watch sales items on SC sort of devalue the forum.
    Some of the high value items are fine but I don't know, I think I'd better stop!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Whilst it is a great looking watch, and I’m sure it’s a excellent price for what it is, you need a specific buyer that knows that particular model and wants one, sounds simple but at the price point you are competing with lots of better known watches that have a wider potential market and known easier resell ability. In my opinion of course.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Omega Limited editions I feel devalue their watches.

But the main reason i expect that this is not a sports watch! For me i'd overlook Omega dress watches for one of the higher end brands even if they cost 1.2x to 2.5x the price.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Omega limited editions don't mean much, with the exception of the likes of the snoopy/spectre SM300.
    Needs a dedicated buyer.

(ch24 isn't a hugely reliable gauge for pricing. Deduct -4% to cover fees before starting, plus a lot of the prices are LOL)

I think the whole Rolex (and to some extent Patek) craze has left buyers always worrying what they will get back if it ever comes to sell. No longer will people want to spend money on something they simply like when there may be a nagging doubt as to how much of that they will get back on resale.

It’s a lovely watch but perhaps even a potential buyer may be thinking “Well it’s selling for this, so if I ever have to sell it will go for this”

^ its a good point, unless it does go up in value due to it being a limited edition, it might still be at the top of a depreciation curve, no one knows that for sure though. A ‘known’ watch that is a few years old will have reached its regular value.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Whilst it is a great looking watch, and I’m sure it’s a excellent price for what it is, you need a specific buyer that knows that particular model and wants one, sounds simple but at the price point you are competing with lots of better known watches that have a wider potential market and known easier resell ability. In my opinion of course.
    Agree with this. In order for a sale, you either need to find the buyer who wants that specific model or reduce it to a price that others would take a punt believing they could sell on reasonably quickly for minimal loss. It’s too nice a watch to reduce it for the latter. IMO you do have one of the nicest watches currently on SC...I’d be keeping it!
    Last edited by Christian; 1st May 2019 at 12:36.

I understand that it isn’t a Rolex.. and it’s sad that such a statement, which really don’t say much about anything apart from all I care is residuals, is in fact, so true.

On the comment I rather spend 1.2x more, my question is why? Are you buying the brand or the watch?

Price point.. yes, it’s not for everyone, neither is high end.. I think, personally, value for money, it’s hard to beat. And I’d like to be proven wrong (perhaps after I sell lol)

Having said all that.. I’m not even after money. I really would prefer a trade over a sale since I’m going nowhere with that money, and a sale would only produce another purchase for/from me anyway

Lastly.. pictures.. yes they’re the best medium to “sell” anything.. unfortunately, in this case, I’ve done my best, with the tools at my disposal.. and that watch is a tough one to photograph properly, that’s why, I can’t stretch enough how good of a job Binsull has done with his pictures, which I’m glad, he had allowed me to attach to my post.

However, thank you all for replying to me, I do appreciate your input.

Master
    Watches are a funny old market

In 1988 or thereabouts I won an 14ct JLC Powermatic in a game of poker. I staked £500 against it.

A couple of years after that, I had a gold bracelet put on it for £350.00. That was from a friend in the trade.

A few years ago I had it serviced by JLC and had the dial done as well and that cost me £1200.00 after a 5 month wait.

It is a nice looking watch and draws comments when I wear it to formal events but being realistic if I sold it here, I would probably get less than I paid for it.

If I had won a Rolex instead of the JLC, it would be sold within a day or two at a nice juicy price.

As many have already said, the two hot marques are PP and Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by km9 View Post
    I might get flamed for this but I find non-watch sales items on SC sort of devalue the forum.
    Some of the high value items are fine but I don't know, I think I'd better stop!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    I kinda agree, perhaps there should be a separate SC for non watch items.

That's a very niche watch to be fair, I think you'd struggle anywhere with that one. We definitely need to have a lot less off topic random stuff in SC though!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Your watch is stunning. Unfortunately it has a narrower market than the mainstream sports. You'll just have to be cool and patient for the right buyer who wants and recognises the watch's appeal. Don't panic! He or she will come along sooner or later.

Given the narrower market I would consider eBay to reach a wider audience.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

It is a nice watch but I don't think you are doing anything wrong. As others have said, it is somewhat of a niche market.
    Hopefully you can sell it soon enough/ if not here,elsewhere.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    I understand that it isn’t a Rolex.. and it’s sad that such a statement, which really don’t say much about anything apart from all I care is residuals, is in fact, so true.

On the comment I rather spend 1.2x more, my question is why? Are you buying the brand or the watch?

It was a range i.e 1.2 - 2.5x would bring you into say Moser territory due to how badly they fare on the secondary market.

Again this is just my view on dress watches is that those who buy dress watches at the Mid>High level tend to have a specific thing in mind compared both when buying new and on the secondary market.

All I wanted was to have the opinion of the community, and yes.. some kind of reassurance that I wasn’t going mad thinking so highly of this watch.. I’ll try and keep it on the forum for as long as I can, as I hope it stays here, and a few of us gets to experience it

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    It was a range i.e 1.2 - 2.5x would bring you into say Moser territory due to how badly they fare on the secondary market.

Again this is just my view on dress watches is that those who buy dress watches at the Mid>High level tend to have a specific thing in mind compared both when buying new and on the secondary market.
    I understand what you’re saying, and I agree actually.. I just didn’t think of it, as I’m more into “what’s the best I can get for my money” rather than, “I want that, I’ll wait till I can afford it”.. both very legit prospectives

Personally it seems very expensive, you can pick up an aqua terra (not that different looking) for around £2k, a planet ocean 600m for under £4k, both on bracelets so yours at £5k seems a lot compared to other more known Omegas. I do not know a great deal about the model show but just my view.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Personally it seems very expensive, you can pick up an aqua terra (not that different looking) for around £2k, a planet ocean 600m for under £4k, both on bracelets so yours at £5k seems a lot compared to other more known Omegas. I do not know a great deal about the model show but just my view.
    What makes you compare it to an Aqua Terra or a PO?

A steinhart looks like a Rolex but I don’t think you compare it to one.. or do you?

It's a beautiful watch, and the images are fine.

Why wouldn’t I buy it?

I have no connection to London, so it's irrelevant to me.
    I tend to avoid limited edition of anything, especially Omega. It's all just marketing hype.
    I am saving up for something else.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

A steinhart looks like a Rolex but I don’t think you compare it to one.. or do you?
    They're both omega. They're all in the seamaster range.
    The PO and the AT have higher WR if you like that sort of additional usability?

It’s a lovely watch, and the price is fine.

As has been said before, it needs quite a specific buyer, as it isn’t really one to try and flip if necessary.

It is relatively large for a dressy watch, for me anyway, but some will like that.

I would be patient

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    It's a beautiful watch, and the images are fine.

Why wouldn’t I buy it?

I have no connection to London, so it's irrelevant to me.
    I tend to avoid limited edition of anything, especially Omega. It's all just marketing hype.
    I am saving up for something else.
    Fair and honest, I couldn’t ask for more..

This actually proves a point made by others before..

You see, I live in london, but I’m not English neither British (as you can probably tell by my writing).. despite not having this connection, I just couldn’t resist and I bought it anyway, just because it’s a beautiful watch..

To be fair, the only reference to london is on the back of the watch and therefore out of sight.. sure the london bit is pure marketing sake, alas I couldn’t care less

So yes, it’s not for everybody, and you just helped me understand/believe it even more

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    They're both omega. They're all in the seamaster range.
    The PO and the AT have higher WR if you like that sort of additional usability?
    They’re not dress watches though.. I don’t think anybody looks at WR when buying a dress watch, certainly I don’t

Rolex Pepsi, and explorers II, have the same usability.. one costs way more than the other..

They’re market at different people IMO

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Alright

Because they are all Omega's with the AT and PO being popular and both are cheaper, the AT does not look that different from your watch. I did not mean to offend but you asked and I just gave my view.

The blunt truth is that because you like your watch doesn’t mean anyone else does even if you think it’s a bargain.
    Lots of us on here could tell you stories about watches that “should have” sold, but didn’t. I even had Rolex that I sold to a watch dealer for a lot more than I was asking on here. He paid in cash from the safe after no interest at all on here. It’s just life I suppose.

Luck of the draw quite often.

They’re not dress watches though.. I don’t think anybody looks at WR when buying a dress watch, certainly I don’t

Rolex Pepsi, and explorers II, have the same usability.. one costs way more than the other..

They’re market at different people IMO

OP, you appear to me to be getting quite defensive when people try to explain their views as to why they wouldn’t buy it, which is what you asked in the first place.

As you say above, it’s a dress(y) watch and therefore not particularly sought after amongst the members of this forum.

The fact that it’s a limited edition is irrelevant as it seems like most Omegas are these days.

As a dress watch, there are quite a lot of other options, often costing far less. A good vintage seamster can be bought for about 20% of what you’re asking for yours and will perform the same function.

The watch itself is a lovely watch but in my opinion you probably paid too much for it and are therefore going to struggle to sell it without losing too much. It’s just not a watch which will hold its value and should be viewed as a watch to own and enjoy rather than one to try and flip without losing money.

In reality what I’m saying is that it’s a lovely watch but not a desirable watch. Keep it and enjoy it or sell it but don’t expect to get back what you paid for it unless you can find the right marketplace. Which isn’t this one.

Master
    This is the kind of watch that may find its peak a few years after release. Because it's not long released, many folk have had their chance to buy. After a year or so, they'll only be available in dribs and drabs and become more coveted.

A general point I think is that many people are less willing to splurge as much on a dress watch v. a sports. I think there's a psychology that a watch likely to be worn less doesn't merit as much outlay. But you soon get a buyer who bucks any trends or tendencies.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

If I was looking for an Omega dress watch, vintage ones are readily available for 10% of the price of yours. As it's for "dress" it won't get abused, won't need water resistance, and there are plenty to choose from that have survived.

If I had that kind of money and was after a dress watch, I'd probably be looking to buy brand new for peace of mind from a reputable dealer, and probably not Omega, limited edition or not, as aside from Speedmasters, they all tend to plummet in value. For something that wasn't going to get much use, that would irk me.

Also, your ad says "Preferably for Trade" but you don't state what you want to trade it for, unless I've missed that somewhere. You wax lyrical about how much you love the watch, but don't say why you're selling (or trading) it.

So, that's the reasons I didn't buy it. You did ask!

I wonder if its a downer on Omega at the moment? There is a Railmaster on SC that would have probably been snapped up two years ago but doesn't seem to be getting any attention now. They were a real hot ticket for a few months, but maybe everyone who wanted it managed to get one that moved around at the time and the Rolex hot tickets have taken everything over for the time being.

What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    OP, you appear to me to be getting quite defensive when people try to explain their views as to why they wouldn’t buy it, which is what you asked in the first place.

As you say above, it’s a dress(y) watch and therefore not particularly sought after amongst the members of this forum.

The fact that it’s a limited edition is irrelevant as it seems like most Omegas are these days.

As a dress watch, there are quite a lot of other options, often costing far less. A good vintage seamster can be bought for about 20% of what you’re asking for yours and will perform the same function.

The watch itself is a lovely watch but in my opinion you probably paid too much for it and are therefore going to struggle to sell it without losing too much. It’s just not a watch which will hold its value and should be viewed as a watch to own and enjoy rather than one to try and flip without losing money.

In reality what I’m saying is that it’s a lovely watch but not a desirable watch. Keep it and enjoy it or sell it but don’t expect to get back what you paid for it unless you can find the right marketplace. Which isn’t this one.
    You’re right actually, I shouldn’t ask questions to which I might not like the answers.. and it most definitely was the case with a couple of replies.. my bad, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    If I was looking for an Omega dress watch, vintage ones are readily available for 10% of the price of yours. As it's for "dress" it won't get abused, won't need water resistance, and there are plenty to choose from that have survived.

If I had that kind of money and was after a dress watch, I'd probably be looking to buy brand new for peace of mind from a reputable dealer, and probably not Omega, limited edition or not, as aside from Speedmasters, they all tend to plummet in value. For something that wasn't going to get much use, that would irk me.

Also, your ad says "Preferably for Trade" but you don't state what you want to trade it for, unless I've missed that somewhere. You wax lyrical about how much you love the watch, but don't say why you're selling (or trading) it.

So, that's the reasons I didn't buy it. You did ask!
    You’re right there.. my bad, again

I didn’t state any trade preference because I don’t have any in particular

Further more, I see why it can be contradicting, to speak so highly of something that I’m trying to trade away, without stating why..

I did state the reason for wanting to trade it away, a while ago, and I should have done it again, but I simply forgot

I just don’t wear suits, that often, that’s the reason..

I know I do sound argumentative, but talking to all of you, is making me realise how wrong I was thinking this is a watch for the masses

The short answer is that you're trying to sell an expensive 'niche' watch into a tiny and very selective market.

You know that GLWTS acronym? You may need it...
    ______

​Jim.

It’s a great watch but like a lot of other things on SC, it’s not for everyone. It’s great you want it to stay ‘on the forum’ but there is a wider market out there if it doesn’t sell here.
    You are doing nothing wrong buying a watch that you like and then finding you can’t sell it for what you bought it for.
    Good luck

Either reduce the price/trade value until it interests someone or stick to your guns and be patient. The other options are to sell/trade it elsewhere or to keep it.

At some point we've all bought what's later turned out to be a dog, and in order to shift it your options are as above. If you believe it's fairly priced, the bolded option is one that has merit.

At least your reputation is intact; if it wasn't, that's something that'd really hamper selling/trading it here.

What am I doing wrong?

£5k is a lot of money for a used Omega. At this price point you are competing with other brands and vintage gold pieces

Just to add some balance to the thread...I've never seen that model before and I really like the watch. Being a Londoner, I also like the London element to it. If I had the money, I would be interested.

You've basically got to find someone like me, but with some more spare cash.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    £5k is a lot of money for a used Omega.

There are plenty of 'used' Omegas that fetch a lot more money.
    For the OP unfortunately the demand for this watch, (good as it is ) is not great. He might end up losing quite a bit of his initial outlay if he wants to sell it.

Two years ago I tried to sell Omega De VIlle GMT in very good condition. I bumped it for 3 or 4 month and finally sold it locally for higher price than I offered here. At the same time another member was selling Globemaster and also with little success.

Don't give up, but remember that dress watches are slow sellers unless they are really cheap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    For the OP unfortunately the demand for this watch, (good as it is ) is not great. He might end up losing quite a bit of his initial outlay if he wants to sell it.
    This

you’ll find if you drop the price by 100 a week or day at some point it will sell. Dress watches just aren’t as popular on this particular forum

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    This

you’ll find if you drop the price by 100 a week or day at some point it will sell. Dress watches just aren’t as popular on this particular forum
    Yes, in a couple of years, give me the cash and I’ll take it.

Please name some? I can't think of many or any that are not PM or LE's. The watch is nice but the market is limited as it's a dress watch and then further limited in it being a homage to London. Good news OP is that the price is £5,790

Master
    It is a lovely looking watch but you can’t deny it’s expensive for a second hand Omega. A few months ago I bought a beautiful, serviced Constellation from someone on SC and it was 1/10 of the price of this one. However you look at it that’s represents extremely stiff competition

Please name some? I can't think of many or any that are not PM or LE's. The watch is nice but the market is limited as it's a dress watch and then further limited in it being a homage to London. Good news OP is that the price is £5,790
    OP's watch is an LE.

OP's watch is an LE.
    But not sort after otherwise it would be sold out. Dress watch LE for london is not comparable to a Seamaster LE for James Bond. Still waiting for you to show the examples of all the used Omega's you referred to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    I kinda agree, perhaps there should be a separate SC for non watch items.
    This is a topic that gets many members hot under the collar but I agree, I think SC would benefit significantly by being split into watch and non-watch sections.

As to the OP's original question, a principal problem selling on here is that many/most buyers are pathological flippers so their prime focus is to buy at a price that will minimize their losses when they come to sell two days/weeks/months later ;)

But not sort after otherwise it would be sold out. Dress watch LE for london is not comparable to a Seamaster LE for James Bond. Still waiting for you to show the examples of all the used Omega's you referred to.
    Snoopy, Speedy Tue, Spectre,Panda Speedy and a host of vintage Speedies and SMPC Big blue,Seamaster 1000m etc etc
    You made a blanket statement that Used Omegas don't command good prices or similar. You probably meant excluding vintage and LEs ( certain). In which case, I would agree
    Last edited by RAJEN; 2nd May 2019 at 08:50.