closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTC - update from a serial flipper

SOTC - update from a serial flipper

Just reflecting on things and taking stock.

After dabbling with watches since my childhood, like many, my buying and selling went into a higher gear when I signed up to TZUK.

I guess that I could be classified as a serial flipper and my time on here has been characterised by one theme or another. This has included, vintage mechanicals, soviet watches, dress, digital, moon or space watches, no date watches, chronos, pieces under 38, homages, manual winds only, only one watch, only two watches…..and so on. With of course the odd tangential obsession with different kinds of straps thrown in for good measure.

At each point due in part to limited funds but more, or if I’m honest, due to a number of odd character traits I have sold watches either singularly or in batches as I have moved into the next thing.

My current rotation: Smiths Everest, CWC RN Diver (quartz) and Seiko SARB017 Alpinist

The whole thing has gone in fits and starts and more often than not come full circle so that I end up right where I started with a particular grouping of watches.

At the moment I find myself not really interested in another theme so have been delving back through my old threads to decide on which old favourites to gather round me for the time being. How long this state of affairs will last, I have no way of knowing but why worry about the future – its nice just to enjoy the present.

Smiths Everest 36

Well, not exactly an old favourite as it hasn’t been around that long but it does fit in the Zex and other 1016 homages camp. In addition to a TC and other bargain basements homage types I’ve owned perhaps 4 Zex’s. Some I have owned more than once as the have yo-yoed between me and other forum users. Until the 36 Everest the Zex was the closest I’d come to the 1016 which is way out of my reach. But there were a couple of things I just couldn’t get over – the awful legend on the dial, the issue of repeated crown failures and AS new old stock movements appearing to lack lubrication when they arrived. The Everest has none of these issues and is a winner, indeed compared to the Explorer 14270 that I owned for a short while I think that it looks and wears better. Up until last month it had for a while become my only watch. I have enjoyed wearing it on leather and Perlon but it always ends up back on a bracelet as it just seems ‘right’ this way. Initially I wasn’t too impressed with the original bracelet, especially the gigantic clasp so swapped this for a generic tapered oyster style bracelet that I sourced from eBay. When I found that this was an almost perfect fit for my SARB017 I moved it on to that and refitted the original – which I have now got used to and have to say that I am rather happy with!
    It is probably the best watch I’ve ever bought. If I end up selling this one I have no doubt at all I will buy another at some point.

CWC RN Diver – quartz

I am pretty certain that this is my third one of these. One I sold and bought back twice. Despite favouring sub 38mm pieces I find that the CWC wears really well and doesn’t seem as overly large as some divers watches I’ve tried. I think that the designed which involves a relatively slim case and smallish dial make it OK for me. I just love the way it looks and the only reason I have sold past ones has been about needing to raise cash rather then it not fitting in with any particular theme. I find a Eulit Perlon an ideal strap for this type of fixed bar watch though the CWC looks great and wears well on its original grey Phoenix NATO. This is a MK1 bought new from Silvermans. I expect that the time is not far off when I won’t be able to afford to repeat this considering the way the retail price keeps rising.

Seiko SARB 017 Alpinist

My fourth one of these. I moved the first two on due to the none AR coated flat crystal spoiling the appearance of the beautiful green dial for me. The third I had fitted with an AR double dome sapphire and it became the perfect Alpinist. Again, the need to raise funds to pursue a newly emerging obsession led to me moving this on.
    I’ve had the same double dome crystal fitted to this one - thanks Brendan! It says something about how much I love the dial matched with the gold hands and roman numerals that I am happy to overlook the fact that it has a date window – something that usually I simply can’t live with. The dial really pops out at you from all angles with this crystal fitted – the original only gives you fleeting glimpses of the rich green finish looking rather dull the rest of the time.
    I really like how this wears on this generic oyster bought initially for the Everest.

After all of these shenanigans it’s still hard to say what my ideal watch is and what direction I spiral off into the future as regards new pieces to buy. I am clearer on the kind of features that I prefer though. Polished / shiny cases look and feel much nicer to me than brushed or matt ones. Now that I have figured out how to size bracelets properly, I love them though still maintain that genuine Perlon is the best strap in the world. I like easy to read dials that have a few other things going on such as discrete numbered bezels – internal or external. I like gold hands and indices.

I will be interested to see how things go after posting this thread as usually when I post a SOTC it prompts a rapid change of direction and another bout of flipping and buying! The proposed PRS32 chrono looks appealing as does the white dial Everest – depending on which designs make it through to production of course, other than that nothing is calling me specifically at the moment. The time will come though…………….
    Last edited by Velorum; 27th May 2019 at 11:17.

Whatever direction you take in the future Ian, do NOT sell the Everest.
    F.T.F.A.

Master

SOTC - update from a serial flipper

All nice looking watches those and suit my own tastes. Could imagine a nice IWC Pilot ,pre-silly case size,being to your liking though maybe not shiny enough.
    Looking forward to white dial Everest also,with the different clasp of course.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Yours has been an interesting journey, I've noticed most of those twists and turns along the way. Some quote drastic shifts at times.

The CWC RN is my pick from that bunch, but I would say that. Is a watch I'll never let go as it's so versatile and also my no worries holiday watch.

Keep enjoying, wonder what changes are yet to come.

Theee nice watches. Enjoy them. Good to see you here after a while.

I had intended to take the CWC on holiday the week before last but with everything else going on I completely forgot to change watches! The Everest turned out to be just fine for this purpose as I posted in the Everest update thread:

Just back from a week long holiday with the Everest being worn everyday and all day. It really is so versatile being equally at home on the beach or in the evening at dinner.

Submerged in sea water everyday (for 6 hours non stop one day) it performed faultlessly.

Last edited by Velorum; 27th May 2019 at 11:18.

Do you miss the 14270? Any regrets selling it?

Master
    Ahh Ian - I bet you miss the linen dial Seamaster... she remains in good hands 👌

All of those are superb and it goes to show you can have an interesting, varied collection for what some services cost. Lovely stuff and for me the favourite is the Everest 36mm.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Do you miss the 14270? Any regrets selling it?
    It was nice to own a Rolex for a while. After a while it didn't feel quite me though and since selling it I haven't missed it at all.

I much prefer the Everest!
    Last edited by Velorum; 27th May 2019 at 11:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Ahh Ian - I bet you miss the linen dial Seamaster... she remains in good hands 
    This was the best of the vintage Seamaster's Ive had and it crosses my mind from time to time. Good to know that it is being appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    ...….it goes to show you can have an interesting, varied collection for what some services cost.....
    A good point!

All bought new this year.

Everest - £320
    CWC RN Diver MK1 Quartz - £499
    Seiko Sarb017 Alpinist, with Yokobies double dome sapphire crystal - £485

Total - £1304

Update at end of May, the departure of the Alpinist and impending arrival of the Vanguard changes this to

Everest - £320
    CWC RN - £499
    Vanguard - £765
    Total - £1584

Craftsman
    Great trio and informative write up thank you. I've often looked at the cwc diver but the retail price puts me off. I currently have a sarb but I think I'd like to replace it with an Everest your pictures have been an influence on this plan

Practical, stylish and full of charm, but enough about me. Nice watches 😉
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I much prefer the Everest!
    Definitely one of Eddie's best.

A nice, varied collection. Aside from the Everest (I have the ZEX), I own and enjoy the three watches you currently have but I’m surprised you got rid of your PRS29A.

I just want to say I really appreciate your SOTC post, @Velorum. Thank you for sharing this with us.

A bit of a Perlon reconfiguration

Last edited by Velorum; 27th May 2019 at 11:20.

I am a recent perlon convert - I think it suits the SARB watches very well.

You have a very decent 3 watch collection right there as well. Don't flip in haste!

That's a really nice collection Ian, and covers enough bases to keep you going.............. until the next one............ or two come along
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

...............other than that nothing is calling me specifically at the moment…………….
    That being said, I found this 1980 Fatboy hard to resist the other day

Last edited by Velorum; 27th May 2019 at 11:20.

One of my favourites, good purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    One of my favourites, good purchase!
    That's was a very quick flip - in order to get the funds together for the new Vanguard. The Alpinist will need to go too as well unfortunately. I would have freed up more cash by moving on the CWC but am trying to hang on to this one.
    Last edited by Velorum; 27th May 2019 at 11:21.

Craftsman
    Nice collection !

Have you got any pics of your Alpinst on that rivetted Oyster bracelet ?

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Nice collection !

Have you got any pics of your Alpinst on that rivetted Oyster bracelet ?
    Thank you

The only after market bracelet that I have is a standard oyster style

upload

I bought it from eBay
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERB-ST...EAAOSwVtZZ8LE6

It fits the Everests solid end links very well and the hollow links that came with it were an excellent fit for the Alpinist.
    Last edited by Velorum; 27th May 2019 at 11:22.

No PRS-40 Ian?

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    No PRS-40 Ian?
    Not yet.

I may be tempted by the quartz chrono.

This is where I am at the moment.

Awaiting delivery of the white dial Vanguard.

My small selection of additional strap options consists of the aforementioned plain oyster style bracelet, TF coyote brown NATO, grey and black Eulit Perlon's and a well worn Hirsch Osiris. All 20mm.

That's was a very quick flip - in order to get the funds together for the new Vanguard. The Alpinist will need to go too as well unfortunately. I would have freed up more cash by moving on the CWC but am trying to hang on to this one.
    Phew, keep that CWC RN Diver! Haha, you know you'll just buy another if you flip that one.

Craftsman
    Thank you

The only after market bracelet that I have is a standard oyster style
    My mistake - yes that's the one I meant !

I have been contemplating sourcing a bracelet for my Alpinist, but, like you, am probably better off selling it ... not seen any wrist time since last summer :-)

Smiths Vanguard PRS-32

Along with many others I had been watching the development of this chrono for a long time. Ive always regarded the PN Daytona to be a thing of great beauty whilst accepting the fact that owning one would never be a realistic option. I've had a few Alpha homages with Seagull movements which I think are OK for the money but they didn't quite do it for me. I am wondering if this one might? The overall case diameter feels and looks just right to me - initially at least the case height looks big. This isn't helped by the bracelet with has the Everests good quality but very chunky clasp. These things together make it a very substantial and some would say bulky affair. I didn't event try the bracelet and removed it straight away leaving it in its shrink wrap. Fitted instead is this good quality generic oyster copy from eBay - exactly the same one that I fitted to my Everest (and for a while the Alpinist) and have been wearing for a while. With this fitted the Vanguard seems to have assumed more manageable proportions. It will be interesting to see whether this becomes a long term piece.

Which bring the current SOTC to:

That's a solid trio of watches. Congrats on the Vanguard!

If I could ever pare down by collection to 3 watches it would also be a dress (or pilot) watch, a dive watch and a chronograph. Ok, maybe also a g-shock.

Reluctantly its back down to two pieces again in order to balance the books. I doubt that the Vanguard will be one the usual multiple buys either!

Reluctantly its back down to two pieces again in order to balance the books. I doubt that the Vanguard will be one the usual multiple buys either!

Had a feeling that wasn't going to last with your words about it. Glad the RN is still hanging in there.

The two above have now gone.

I bought a new GW5000 (my fourth one of these) and used this as my only watch for a while - including wearing it to my wedding - and have just added an Expedition. This was always the plan when I sold on the black dial Everest it just took me a little longer than expected. Will see how I get on with it.

Smiths Everest Expedition and Casio G Shock GW5000JF

Ian
    Last edited by Velorum; 22nd November 2019 at 12:44.

Craftsman

I bought a new GW5000 (my fourth one of these) and used this as my only watch for a while - including wearing it to my wedding - and have just added an Expedition. This was always the plan when I sold on the black dial Everest it just took me a little longer than expected. Will see how I get on with it.

Ian
    That's a solid 2 watch collection a do it all G and a dress up\down watch.

Ian
    The question is, how long before another 29a and Rn Diver find their way back into your collection?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    The question is, how long before another 29a and Rn Diver find their way back into your collection?
    Ha ha!

I think that the boat has sailed re another CWC due to crazy prices but I would never rule out a replacement 29a at some point in the future

As mentioned in the Expedition thread I think that the bracelet supplied with it is excellent and outstanding vfm at £46. I am very tempted to see how a black dial Everest would wear on one on one of these...………….

Well to answer Mr Tetlees question not too long for a 29a, in this case a MK1 - I originally bought this 2013 one in 2016 before moving it on. It has remained within the forum until I picked it up again. It is highly likely to be flipped to balance the books soon though - in fact Im discussing this with a few people at the moment.

It has been joined by a new one of these - I have honestly lost track of how many of these Ive had!

...and as for the RN Diver, well it look as though I have more by luck than judgement done a very good deal on a MK2 - more to follow on this!
    Last edited by Velorum; 28th January 2020 at 23:54.

Haha, you're a legend.

All great watches though. I was silly enough to sell my 29a MK1 a long time ago but haven't made the same mistake with the RN or my two G10 fatboys.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 28th January 2020 at 23:56.

The MK2 RN Diver arrived today. Brand new but as a discounted price - I am so impressed with Silvermans that I have posted a separate thread on this:
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...I-am-impressed!

It joins the other 2 fixed bars

This is probably just a temporary state of affairs as the MK1 29a is promised to OldHookey. If he changes his mind I might just change my mind and keep it - depends what state my finances are in next month......

Being as my most recent MK1 had to have the mineral crystal replaced due to a very deep scratch I am pleased to have a sapphire on this.

So the SOTC could well be this soon

Ian
    Last edited by Velorum; 30th January 2020 at 19:14.

Craftsman
    Nice coherent collection, like your style !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    That’s a lovely trio, I love that seiko I’ve always fancied one of them I really must get round to sorting that out. A lovely write up there and on reflection I find myself proceeding to look at the cwc too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That’s a lovely trio, I love that seiko I’ve always fancied one of them I really must get round to sorting that out. A lovely write up there and on reflection I find myself proceeding to look at the cwc too

I want one of those CWC rn diver's now from these pictures!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    CWC diver far exceeds the others..........IMO that is.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    CWC diver far exceeds the others..........IMO that is.
    I think that you are right.

Mr Velorum - you have - apart from myself ;) - the best taste in watches on this forum.

OldHooky has decided to take the 29a so the current SOTC is all quartz now. I have of course broken the only one watch at a time rule imposed late last year but there you go. My intention here is to use the RN as my daily wearer. I guess the G10 is a 'back up' watch. Though why I need a back up is uncertain. Sometimes this makes no sense at all!

Master
    Agree I have looked and looked at the cwc and I really like it, doesn’t help there’s a navy diver on sc that’s winking at me

OldHooky has decided to take the 29a so the current SOTC is all quartz now. I have of course broken the only one watch at a time rule imposed late last year but there you go. My intention here is to use the RN as my daily wearer. I guess the G10 is a 'back up' watch. Though why I need a back up is uncertain. Sometimes this makes no sense at all!

That's a really nice pairing, not much of our hobby makes sense. The G10 is the ultimate watch for comfort IMO due to size and weight.

That said I could probably quite easily live with my RN Diver as an only watch, it's a perfect all rounder with exception of smart occasions.

Will be interested to see what comes next.