closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOTC - update from a serial flipper

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    If the A list trio are nervous, the B listers must be terrified

I like the original trio as a stripped down no nonsense collection tbh.

For some reason I pictured a Pixar type watch movie when I read that - perhaps I should pitch the idea to them. You can have 10% of the royalties of course.

Out of earshot the B Team probably refer to themselves as The Expendables or Mayflies. Its not worth them getting too pally as at the drop of a hat they may never see each other again.

The original trio are all that's needed really.

Well all I can say is whether they're in the A or the B list, I like them all. Excellent taste as usual Ian.

Master
    You can’t go wrong with CWC. Perhaps an auto CWC diver to round off the collection?

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    You can’t go wrong with CWC. Perhaps an auto CWC diver to round off the collection?
    Yes, that's well worth considering - jolly expensive though!

Have you thought of adding an SBS to the collection, Ian? I have a matte RN like yours and an SBS and even though they’re essentially the same watch, I find them to have quite different personalities.

An interesting idea. Cant say that I am too keen on black cases - or the retail price!

I'm still in love with the '83 RN Diver reissue, now if you could buy one of those it would give me opportunity in the future of a s/h one

Advance dibs if ever you get one ;)

I'm still in love with the '83 RN Diver reissue, now if you could buy one of those it would give me opportunity in the future of a s/h one

I had one of those, lovely. Sold it as you do. There was recently one on SC and was tempted to buy it, but missed out.

They look lovely. I was tempted but my bank account said no.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    They look lovely. I was tempted but my bank account said no.
    Why not a Marathon diver? They have some in a smaller case and plenty of military links to it too.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Why not a Marathon diver? They have some in a smaller case and plenty of military links to it too.
    Good call

Nice looking watches - downsides for me are date windows and no fixed bars

Craftsman
    Thanks for an interesting read with some lovely pieces!

I'm looking for a 'military themed watch' and have decided to try and purchase a Precista PRS 10 when the shop reopens, but ........
    I am constantly drawn to the CWC RN Diver but, as you and the forum know, the prices!! Every time I look they seem to have increased.

I have a limited budget but at a stretch I could afford a CWC RN Quartz MK1 from Silvermans. I would be fine with a second hand purchase but they don't appear to come up for sale that often and I don't have enough 'credits' to view the sale forum here.

To my question - in your opinion is it worth me saving up more and to buy the MK 2 with the sapphire? I would wear it every day but I am careful with my possessions so I think it would survive well in my hands! The £679 price tag makes me think not but I would value your thoughts?

Thanks

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Just reflecting on things and taking stock.

CWC RN Diver – quartz

I am pretty certain that this is my third one of these. One I sold and bought back twice. Despite favouring sub 38mm pieces I find that the CWC wears really well and doesn’t seem as overly large as some divers watches I’ve tried. I think that the designed which involves a relatively slim case and smallish dial make it OK for me. I just love the way it looks and the only reason I have sold past ones has been about needing to raise cash rather then it not fitting in with any particular theme. I find a Eulit Perlon an ideal strap for this type of fixed bar watch though the CWC looks great and wears well on its original grey Phoenix NATO. This is a MK1 bought new from Silvermans. I expect that the time is not far off when I won’t be able to afford to repeat this considering the way the retail price keeps rising.

Great collection Velorum

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    To my question - in your opinion is it worth me saving up more and to buy the MK 2 with the sapphire? I would wear it every day but I am careful with my possessions so I think it would survive well in my hands! The £679 price tag makes me think not but I would value your thoughts?

Thanks
    Sorry to butt in here is a 3rd option...
    Hang about on here build up your post count whilst learning and engaging and you will soon gain the post count (without speed posting) to view Sales Corner
    CWC Divers do come up on SC on a regular basis.

There is something about a CWC Diver for me. It’s close to the perfect divers watch
    I can understand why the OP keeps buying them, I have at the same problem however I don’t sell I just seem to buy another and another. It’s a sickness I tell you!
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 10th May 2020 at 14:14.

Craftsman
    Thanks again for your thoughts. That's encouraging to know that they come up for sale here and, whilst I know there are no guarantees, it always nice to buy from an enthusiast/forum member who are far more likely to open and honest than the usual 'marketplace' vendors. I've been looking at the CWC RN's for a long time and I agree, as a newbie, they tick all of my boxes at the moment. I recently purchased a Scurfa Divers (no date) which is similar in style, but love it as I do, it's not a ..............CWC Divers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Great collection Velorum

Sorry to butt in here is a 3rd option...
    Hang about on here build up your post count whilst learning and engaging and you will soon gain the post count (without speed posting) to view Sales Corner
    CWC Divers do come up on SC on a regular basis.

There is something about a CWC Diver for me. It’s close to the perfect divers watch
    I can understand why the OP keeps buying them, I have at the same problem however I don’t sell I just seem to buy another and another. It’s a sickness I tell you!

Whether it's worth saving up the extra for the Mk2 is a very difficult question to answer. For me the 120 click bezel and sapphire crystal are not important factors. I only bought a MK2 as it was offered to me for the same price as a Mk1 due to a problem with Silvermans ordering system. When I decided that I wanted a brushed case I had no qualms about swapping a Mk2 for a Mk1. In an ideal world I would have a brushed and a polished Mk1 I think - but another £500 for what is essentially the same watch is very difficult to justify. Doesnt mean I wont do it at some point though!

Craftsman
    Yes, a good point. I rather like the brushed/matt case and the 60 click bezel is also fine. It's the mineral crystal that I'm getting hooked up on but as I mentioned I'm careful with things so its unlikely to be a major concern. I'll think about it some more.

Apologies to Velorum for hijacking your thread - but it's your fault for posting such a nice collection!! Thanks!

If it’s going to be your daily watch, I’d recommend finding an RN diver with Super Luminova, so either a late ‘T’ dial or any of the newer ‘L’ dial versions. A 120 click bezel or sapphire crystal are neither here nor there as you can always replace the mineral crystal with a sapphire one if you scratch it.

Blog Entries
    Interesting and also as one who has been known to the odd sale or trade this is my current lot + an I watch

[/

Or “ noir “

I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Liking these additions, but can I make a prediction? In three months time only the RN Diver will remain
    ...and just to prove Mr Tetlee right

I am following a new 3 part plan now

And following your advice this is part 2 of the plan

Craftsman
    I've just seen your latest ads in the SC! I guess the RN300-M QM60 is staying for the the being!? If not can I be in line behind Monsieur Tetlee?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    I've just seen your latest ads in the SC! I guess the RN300-M QM60 is staying for the the being!? If not can I be in line behind Monsieur Tetlee?
    No plans to move this on at the moment

Mr Tetllee isn't in line for this one though - he is hoping for a quick flip on an 83 reissue

...and just to prove Mr Tetlee right

I am following a new 3 part plan now
    Haha, was a pretty safe guess to be fair.

Ooh I better get saving!!!

Ahem... Good move!

Craftsman
    No plans to move this on at the moment

Mr Tetllee isn't in line for this one though - he is hoping for a quick flip on an 83 reissue
    No worries - it's just that the sudden movement on your collection got me all excited! Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Have you thought of adding an SBS to the collection, Ian? I have a matte RN like yours and an SBS and even though they’re essentially the same watch, I find them to have quite different personalities.
    Although I ruled this out I am giving it serious considerations - especially the reissue one

Although I ruled this out I am giving it serious considerations - especially the reissue one
    And now having seen one in the flesh have ruled it out again. Impressive looking thing buy not quite me - I much prefer silver / shiny

RN30-83 QS60

Illogical I know but it seems to seems very different on the wrist. Goes to show what changes to small details can do for a watch sometimes.

Lovely shiny case too!

RN30-83 QS60

Illogical I know but it seems to seems very different on the wrist. Goes to show what changes to small details can do for a watch sometimes.

Lovely shiny case too!

Brilliant Ian! Interesting, can you describe in what way it seems different on the wrist?

I'm always curious about the bezels on these which I assume are acrylic as opposed to bakelite? Are they flat on top or kind of rounded like a typical retro bakelite bezel?

Maybe you can break out a colour photo for this one 
    Last edited by Tetlee; 30th May 2020 at 12:35.

Brilliant Ian! Interesting, can you describe in what way it seems different on the wrist?

I'm always curious about the bezels on these which I assume are acrylic as opposed to bakelite? Are they flat on top or kind of rounded like a typical retro bakelite bezel?

Maybe you can break out a colour photo for this one 
    It looks more vintage and the dial has a warmth to it that the standards ones simply don't have

Its worth the extra money in my opinion

I would say that the bezel is ever so slightly rounded

Have tried my best re some colour shots

Looks great. As you say it’s surprising how subtle details like the bezel and the chunkier minute hand can make such a difference to the overall look of the watch. I really like what they have done with the 83 re-issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks more vintage and the dial has a warmth to it that the standards ones simply don't have

Have tried my best re some colour shot
    Superb Ian. I had one of those when they first came out and yours looks better with the yellow tritium like look. Mine was a lot greener, more like the normal Quartz models. The insert is great on this model and makes a huge difference as does the fully polished case in my opinion.

God only knows why I sold it. I was tempted when one appeared on SC a while back. Don't sell this one.

Have tried my best re some colour shots

That looks fantastic, appreciate the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Superb Ian. I had one of those when they first came out and yours looks better with the yellow tritium like look. Mine was a lot greener, more like the normal Quartz models. The insert is great on this model and makes a huge difference as does the fully polished case in my opinion.

God only knows why I sold it. I was tempted when one appeared on SC a while back. Don't sell this one.
    Didn't you have the original '80 reissue with the dark brown markers at one point?

Didn't you have the original '80 reissue with the dark brown markers at one point?
    Yes, the 1980 automatic with dark markers. Even bought the special leather strap that they did to fit over the fixed bars. At the time of that release they were talking about doing the 1983 Quartz.

Sorry is this the 1983 quartz?
    I can’t see the model number on the website?

It looks really lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Sorry is this the 1983 quartz?
    I can’t see the model number on the website?

It looks really lovely!
    Yes.

https://www.silvermans.co.uk/collect...20340023328822

Thanks I was looking here

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...y-divers-watch

And couldn’t see the model number

I'm a bit concerned about what feels like slight play / closeness with the bezel.

It's very slight - some slight play when you gently rotate before the clock and if you tap the bezel from above gently with the tip of a finger it makes a slight clicking noise.

As I say it's all very slight but none of my other RN Divers are like this - very tight and no clicking when you tap them and at 900 quid I think that it should be as least as good as them.

Sending it back to Silvermans tomorrow.

That should read slight play / looseness

Cant seem to edit using my mobile!

And it should read before the click not the clock!

Bloody autocorrect!

Yeah that sounds like a fault, be interested to see how well they handle the return.

Good luck.

Silvermans have acknowledged receipt of the RN300-83 QS60 and say that they will get back to me soon on this

Meanwhile, the RN300-M QM60 is joined by a replacement RN300-P QS120

Its surprising how different a polished cased piece looks and feels to a matt one and vice versa

I realise how crazy it may seem to some to have watches that are largely identical - but I really do like the fact that the differences are so small and in every day life noticeable only to me

Sshhhhh, I've been watching that one.

I see that the seller only has 1 feedback. Provided that its paid for with PP then it should be safe though.

Could be a good option Mr Tetlee if the bidding doesn't go mad.

TBH I'm not really in the position to bid anyway, would have to move something myself and I'd struggle to let anything go looking in the box.

I'll have to hope I'm in a better situation when yours hits SC ;)

I bought the 1983 from eBay listing mentioned above - initial impressions are, I love it! Now I’m worried I might buy an SBS to go with it.

I started a thread recently about whether these are worth the current prices, and so far Im showing absolutely no sign of buyers remorse

That looks superb.

I take it that the bezel is nice and tight with no play?

I still haven't heard back from Silvermans about mine - they emailed to say that they had recieved it last Thursday and would be looking at it on Friday. I'm getting a bit twitchy now!

Know what you mean about the SBS version. I keep talking myself in and out of getting one. Which one would you go for the vintage 83 or standard?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

SOTC - update from a serial flipper

Thanks Velorum yeah bezel action really tight with no play whatsoever. Was a bit surprised how clicky it is, i.e has really pronounced clicks - very much reminds me of the bezel action on the marathon GSAR.

I do love the 83 style, but if I went for an SBS would probably go the standard one to keep them different enough to justify having both! Plus the 83 is so nice I don’t think I can bear to use it as my quartz knockabout (which was the original plan). Maybe an SBS would fill that void...

Hopefully yours will be sorted soon

Last edited by enndriz; 10th June 2020 at 14:28.

The 83 does look good with the light vintage lume.
    I see no issue with having an SBS with a vintage reissue they are different enough for me
    Of course the correct number of CWC divers to own is as many as possible!

I am seriously thinking of adding an original early 80s issued watch to the collection.

Had a call from Silvermans re the 83.
    He said that a very small amount of movement was within spec (I has said that it was a very slight play) and that it wasnt unusual for you to be able to get a slight click if you tapped the bezel gently.

He had compared it to a few others and whilst it did have slightly more movement than most he still considered it to be within an acceptable margin.

That being said he said that he would send another that seemed just a little tighter and if I still wasnt happy not to hesitate in letting him know.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk