closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch

Master

Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch

Was at the Houston Space Centre today. Amongst the amazing artefacts they had a couple of Speedmasters in display.

I am sure Speedy fans knew this anyway but thought I’d post. Not sure if real items as in a ridiculously flimsy Perspex display!

That must have been an amazing experience and definitely one of my places to go! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    That must have been an amazing experience and definitely one of my places to go! Thanks for posting the pictures.
    Make it happen! It’s amazing. Got to touch some moon rock and Apollo 17 as well. I have added watch content as well!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Was at the Houston Space Centre today. Amongst the amazing artefacts they had a couple of Speedmasters in display.

I am sure Speedy fans knew this anyway but thought I’d post. Not sure if real items as in a ridiculously flimsy Perspex display!

Don't forget that while the displays might be flimsy, I bet the guards are armed...

Master
    Cool. Pity they didn't have some of the astronaut's watches on display. But then those belong to the actual people I suppose.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Cool. Pity they didn't have some of the astronaut's watches on display. But then those belong to the actual people I suppose.

Think most of the flown watches still in existence are in the Smithsonian in Washington.

I visited the Kennedy Space Centre a few weeks back, absolutely fantastic place, got to see the immense Saturn 5 and the Discovery Shuttle. Was hoping they might have a Speedy or 2 on display but all I found was Roger Chaffee's personal Timex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Think most of the flown watches still in existence are in the Smithsonian in Washington.
    Ta for that info.

For anybody with an interest in space travel, that's a great tour to take.

I visited the Kennedy Space Centre a few weeks back, absolutely fantastic place, got to see the immense Saturn 5 and the Discovery Shuttle. Was hoping they might have a Speedy or 2 on display but all I found was Roger Chaffee's personal Timex.
    I thought to myself, "that's new", then saw the 747 and read back that it was Houston

I was surprised at the absence of Speedmasters at KSC in January and took a photo of the Timex!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 30th April 2019 at 20:04.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Why the mudguards on the buggy? Not exactly a weight saver like the seats are they,must have expected rain,

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Why the mudguards on the buggy? Not exactly a weight saver like the seats are they,must have expected rain,
    I am so glad you asked.
    The Rover "tyres" were not tyres as they look there, they were made of metallic mesh, with chevron pattern stainless steel strips around the outside, for weight saving. As such they are a sort of rotating seive, and they picked up luna dust in a BIG way. The lack of gravity on the moon and the vacuum meaning there was no wind to disperse it meant that kicked up dust got everywhere. Over astronauts, into sensors, between surfaces on moving items, and it was a major bugbear. and It all had to be removed before astronauts de-suited or did anything with sensors. So the best way was to avoid the issue and use mudguards (dustguards here).

These were seen as so important that when they got broken (and a few did, especially on Apollo 17), they got teams on the ground figuring out how to fabricate replacements - just like we saw for more life critical stuff in the film Apollo 13. Gene Cernan's dustguard repair is one of the most celebrated uses of duct tape, ever.

Dave

Surprised they don’t sell the Speedy Pro in the gift shop as they sell everything else i seem to recall.

Probably wouldn’t be the place to get a discount though hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    cool photos! I'd love to go some time... not a place in the states i travel to though :(

The shuttle you saw was Atlantis, the final one to fly. KSC is an amazing place.

Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch

I went to KSC last year and it really is a day to remember, very well presented and the tours of the launch sites and area was brilliant.
    Sitting in the control room for the 3 minute countdown with each station lighting up as it was coming into play was amazing, that was then topped as the doors opened and you go through to the shuttle room.

The only Speedmaster memorabilia I seen was Ed White wearing his.

Holiday watch! Sinn EZM2.