closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: London restaurant

London restaurant

Hi
    We are staying in london in a few weeks and taking in a show. I've been looking for a nice restaurant for the evening and have seen a couple I like.

Clos Maggiore or Langhams Palm Court. The restaurant seating in these two looks great.
    Anyone tried these and can offer any experiences

Thanks
    Andy

Master
    Can recommend Clos Maggiore, haven't been to the other.

Master
    Have been to the Langham but not eaten there. Better known for afternoon tea than dinner I believe. Was nice but I wasn't overawed.

More info on what sort of restaurant you are looking for and where might be good as Im sure plenty of members will offer others to consider!

Journeyman
    I go down to the smoke about 3 times a year to catch a show. I love my Chinese food and regularly go to A. Wong. It’s good quality upmarket Chinese food done in an interesting way. Not a million miles away from theatre land. Think it has a Michelin star but prices weren’t too toppy.

Blog Entries
    The Langham is a most wonderful hotel and we will be staying there again shortly.

Never eaten at the restaurants but if the exec experience is anything to go by they can be nothing but extremely good.

Have an enjoyable trip

Pitch

I've eaten at the Roux at the Landau, one of the other restaurants within The Langham, all be it maybe 5-6 years ago. I'm certainly no regular at such establishments however my then GF and I used to treat ourselves every now and again, based upon our experience there compared with others I wouldn't go back. I remember us both thinking that neither the food or the service felt special, it was of a certain quality however it all just lacked maybe the last 10% that we'd had elsewhere.

I've heard good things about Clos Maggiore, I've been past a few times but never eaten there. Given where it is it may a great area for pre/post meal drinks.
    Last edited by CardShark; 29th April 2019 at 00:18.

We had dinner at Daphne's after a concert last week, it was very nice but a bit on the pricy side

https://www.daphnes-restaurant.co.uk/

Master
    The Ninth in Charlotte St. near Googe St is very good. https://www.theninthlondon.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've booked a table at The Aviary in Finsbury Square for my better half's birthday in a couple of weeks. Not been there before, but the reviews on trip advisor are good, as are the views after dark, apparently.

http://aviarylondon.com/

Craftsman
    If you want traditional British food in a lovely olde worlde restaurant try Rules on Maiden Lane, Covent Garden. I've thoroughly enjoyed myself a few times, great food and service.

Master
    Try Coya in Mayfair.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks everyone, some great suggestions

Master
    What kind of cuisine are you looking for? There are better than the Palm Court and Clos Maggiore.

We like french type of food. No to Asian / Chinese or Italian. To be fair it’s the ambience in the restaurant we are looking at first and then the food
    Thanks

Craftsman
    Always found the Boudin Blanc in Shepherd's Market to have quite a buzzy atmosphere.

Master
    I've had the set menu deal at The Langham a couple of times and it was pretty good for the price. Service was fine too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    We like french type of food. No to Asian / Chinese or Italian. To be fair it’s the ambience in the restaurant we are looking at first and then the food
    Thanks
    In which case, try Galvin La Chapelle near Liverpool St. Michelin star, French food, often have deals on, generally a good ambience and in an old chapel!

Master
    Note that it's in the City though. The ambience may reflect the workforce.

Are you after romantic, buzzy, something else?

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Thanks
    Try the restaurant at the Tate Modern. Book early and ask for a table by the window. The food and wine are very good and the view is astounding.
    Yeah, I know I'm recommending a restaurant in a gallery. It really is good. Just don't tell everyone, it's a gem hidden in plain sight, just like the Tower Bridge steam room museum.
    Ssshhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    Try the restaurant at the Tate Modern. Book early and ask for a table by the window. The food and wine are very good and the view is astounding.
    Yeah, I know I'm recommending a restaurant in a gallery. It really is good. Just don't tell everyone, it's a gem hidden in plain sight, just like the Tower Bridge steam room museum.
    Ssshhhhh.
    Seconded great spot.

At its price point, I think clos Maggiore is top dog. You can get better but will pay disproportionately more.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    At its price point, I think clos Maggiore is top dog. You can get better but will pay disproportionately more.
    Thanks, we tried there but they are fully booked unless we want to eat at 10.00pm. We might try lunch there

Master
    At the risk of suggesting somewhere a little too rustic have you considered La Poule Au Pot in Belgravia?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    In which case, try Galvin La Chapelle near Liverpool St. Michelin star, French food, often have deals on, generally a good ambience and in an old chapel!
    +1 for galvin if you want french different cuisine but also eaten at langham and roux and they are very nice as others have mentioned

Other great eateries that is recommend
    City social
    Sketch
    Scott’s
    Mash
    Novikov

Enjoy

Brilliant, thanks guys

Master
    I appreciate everyone has different tastes but please do not go to Novikov. Horrendously overpriced see and be seen Russians in Mayfair awfulness.

Apologies to the poster that recommended it but that cannot be a good use of your evening.

Craftsman
    Ormers Mayfair is excellent as is Kerridge's newish restaurant in the Corinthea

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I'd recommend Hide, or Hide above if you want to go for the tasting menu on Piccadilly. Exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I appreciate everyone has different tastes but please do not go to Novikov. Horrendously overpriced see and be seen Russians in Mayfair awfulness.

Apologies to the poster that recommended it but that cannot be a good use of your evening.
    Never been myself but a friend was offered the 'market fish'. I think he was trying to be a hero by not asking the price and just agreed
    £700. Hope it was good!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

Haven’t been there so don’t know first hand but go past every so often and this is certainly my impression!

In the interest of balance, the others mentioned by the same poster are either places I like or are on the to go list!

My Old Dutch in Holborn does all its food in pancake form. Most of the meals are on the wrong side of a tenner though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It's a shame you don't like Italian, but if you're willing to try Umbrian - and you want somewhere not too far from the show - then I can certainly recommend Vasco's, at 15 Poland Street: http://www.vascosfood.com/

I was taken there by a Norwegian colleague when we had some clients over visiting London earlier this year. It is his regular dining spot when visiting London and I can't believe I haven't found it before, as it is a real find. Family run, great ambience, Umbrian food at its best, good choice of wine, and with no pretentious waiters or Maitre D in sight!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    It's a shame you don't like Italian, but if you're willing to try Umbrian - and you want somewhere not too far from the show - then I can certainly recommend Vasco's, at 15 Poland Street: http://www.vascosfood.com/

I was taken there by a Norwegian colleague when we had some clients over visiting London earlier this year. It is his regular dining spot when visiting London and I can't believe I haven't found it before, as it is a real find. Family run, great ambience, Umbrian food at its best, good choice of wine, and with no pretentious waiters or Maitre D in sight!
    Thanks, that does look nice.
    It’s not that I don’t like Italian but I can’t have so many foods that’s it easier to stick to traditional. Can’t have wheat, pasta, sugar, bread plus many more.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Master
    Blog Entries
    I live half my week in Westminster and have a very strict budget to work to for claiming expenses.

So I've been finding places that the locals rather than the tourists go to. Fancy food it isn't and you wouldn't take someone there for a special occasion but you get a really good meal for £15-£20 (and there will be some sniggering at the back here)

Regency Cafe
    Sarporis on horseferry
    Ma La round the back of the home office
    Dishoom by trafalgar sq
    Home slice in neals yard