closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Company car allowance

Master

Company car allowance

I have been offered a job.

I will be paid a taxaxble car allowance and be given a fuel car for company fuel. I do not think they will pay for my private fuel. I will not receive a mileage allowance.

Can I still claim tax relief of 45ppm up to 10k and 25ppm there after? If I could would this be through self assessment or coded out?
    Cheers

No.

The fuel tax relief only applies if you pay for your fuel then claim a mileage allowance back from your employer (which if I understand correctly you’re not doing, as it’s being paid for on a company credit card).

If that allowance is less than the govt rate, you can claim the difference back on your tax return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above no you won’t be able to claim the tax relief. Also as the fuel card is only for business use make sure that you don’t get taxed for having it, you shouldn’t but make sure you check.

What usually happens is you use the card for all your fuel, when you do your expenses claim at the end of the month you list your business miles and your total miles, the difference is your private mileage which is charged at an agreed cost and taken off your expenses claim.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post
    I have been offered a job.

I will be paid a taxaxble car allowance and be given a fuel car for company fuel. I do not think they will pay for my private fuel. I will not receive a mileage allowance.

Can I still claim tax relief of 45ppm up to 10k and 25ppm there after? If I could would this be through self assessment or coded out?
    Cheers
    I think you will be able to claim the difference between the deemed fuel value and the 45p/25p in order to compensate for wear and tear on your private vehicle. Paying just for the fuel is the same imo as receiving a lower milage rate when you can claim any difference.

You may be able to use the Company Car advisory rates to give the fuel value, but I would speak with HMRC about it to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I think you will be able to claim the difference between the deemed fuel value and the 45p/25p in order to compensate for wear and tear on your private vehicle. Paying just for the fuel is the same imo as receiving a lower milage rate when you can claim any difference.

You may be able to use the Company Car advisory rates to give the fuel value, but I would speak with HMRC about it to confirm.
    I don’t think that’s the case, the tax man isn’t that benevolent. If you’re getting a monthly car allowance, which the op will be, wear and tear needs to be factored into that, along with insurance, road tax servicing etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I have a car allowance and a fuel card for all of my fuel. In previous years, the total of the fuel card was put onto my P11D. This has now changed and I get taxed monthly on my fuel card usage.
    In both cases, when it was tax return time, it's up to you to declare the amount of business miles you've done in the tax year, which is calculated using the HMRC rates for up to 10,000 miles and a different rate beyond 10,000 miles. If you do a lot of (mostly business) miles, this can result in a tax refund, otherwise you may have a tax liability.