timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC

Master
    Blog Entries

SOTC

Current SOTC.

free image hosting

And individually in rough order of preference.........

1) Omega AT "Skyfall" 38.5mm. In collection 4 years I think. Oozes class IMO. Very versatile. I almost sold this 2 years ago.....so glad i didn't. Got a nice Omega blue strap for it and never looked back. Courtesy of Coot.

free image hosting

2) Patek 5167. Under the radar to 99.9% of the public. Incredible depth and finishing to this piece. In collection 6 months. Courtesy of LTF.

free image hosting

3) Rolex BLNR. Great watch but a little more recognizable than I prefer. The only watch I ever bought from new from an AD. In collection 18 months

4) Omega Sea master Planet Ocean 42mm 2500C. Almost sold this too! Now it looks great on Omega Nato. I have this 7 years.

5) Stowa Antea Creme. I think i have this just over 2 years. I also had the version with the blue hand but a friend wanted it desperately so I passed it on.

free image hosting

6) Tag Heuer Monaco CAW211C. 6month in my collection. This is the only piece I have up for sale. Wearing it tonight though and wondering if I really want to sell.....

free image hosting

7) VC overseas 42040. Only at number 7 as its only a few weeks in my position and I am still figuring it it is here to stay or not.

Where to next? No where unless I move the Monaco. On a watch buying ban this year but watches on the list include the below in no order:

1) Rolex Hulk
    2) Rolex Yachtmaster 42
    3) JLC ultra thin Moon
    4) Glashutte Panoreserve (Blue or grey)
    5) Blue faced Monaco
    6) Omega Speedmaster Tuesday 1

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    7) VC overseas 42040. Only at number 7 as its only a few weeks in my position and I am still figuring it it is here to stay or not.

Stunning. This deserves it’s own thread.

Lovely diverse collection, and good to see my old Patek being taken good care of. The VC is a beauty.

Craftsman
    Very nice SOTC.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Some lovely watches and good variety too, great collection

Nice balanced collection there, really like the VC and is the dressers watch of that lot so think carefully about letting it go.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Nice collection, and I agree that VC stands out.

Nice variety. The VC is superb.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Lovely group👍

Master
    A lovely collection with a nice level of variety. Strangely it is the Stowa that stands out for me but I really like the Aqua Terra too. Thanks for sharing.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Master

SOTC

The Monaco’s an absolute icon, but you’ve got to have the Blue (CAW211P).
    Last edited by OHG1X; 28th April 2019 at 21:24.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice!

Blog Entries
    We share a similar taste in watches! Thank you for sharing.

You could try something a bit different next like a Bremont (quite a few styles to choose from) or Breitling Navitimer perhaps? I don't see any quartz ani-digi - they are quite fun!

All the best

Martyn

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    A lovely collection with a nice level of variety. Strangely it is the Stowa that stands out for me but I really like the Aqua Terra too. Thanks for sharing.
    The Stowa is my grab and go piece. I see it as my "beer" watch. Like a beer jacket its the one that if you lose it when drunk you will be able to get over it. For the £££ the Stowa is great value and looks good with everything. I have a mesh also that I use with it occasionally. Preference is the nato its on now.

The AT is a work of art. If it is was 2 mm thinner (perhaps if they lost the case back display) then it would have been the perfect watch. The bigger version is better balanced interims of size to thickness ratio but its wears too big IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Nice balanced collection there, really like the VC and is the dressers watch of that lot so think carefully about letting it go.
    It is the only one that slips under a shirt cuff and looks "dressy".

I rarely wear a shirt either way as work in a casual environment. I am trending mentally towards thinner pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Lovely diverse collection, and good to see my old Patek being taken good care of. The VC is a beauty.
    A lot of love for the VC.

The 5167 wont move from the collection for a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    The Monaco’s an absolute icon, but you’ve got to have the Blue (CAW211P).
    I am wearing my Monaco today and I am liking it. I think I need a new strap perhaps. Its a big watch though!

Craftsman
    Fantastic colleciton, thanks for sharing!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    The AT is a work of art. If it is was 2 mm thinner (perhaps if they lost the case back display) then it would have been the perfect watch.
    Couldn’t agree more, and I’ve got the annual calendar so prob a bit thicker again - however, lovely movement.

Really like the collection, similar tastes, though will buck the trend as not as taken by the VC as the other pieces. I also have a jlc mut moon on the wish list!

Great collection thanks for sharing. For me the stand outs are the PP and that Monaco love that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Great collection thanks for sharing. For me the stand outs are the PP and that Monaco love that!

Still wearing the Monaco. I think you might be right!

I think it just needs a new strap. The OEM one is pretty %#}% to be honest.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post

Really like the collection, similar tastes, though will buck the trend as not as taken by the VC as the other pieces. I also have a jlc mut moon on the wish list!
    If the I could get the VC onto a rubber strap and deployant it would seal the deal. Not going to give up on it yet due to its rarity though.

Journeyman
    Great collection. 5167 steals the show for me though. Beautiful watch

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Great collection, wouldn’t be disappointed rotating any of those watches each day!

Blog Entries
    Wonderful collection there

Enjoy

Pitch

Journeyman
    Beautiful balanced collection

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Great collection with watches for every occasion.
    Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    So there had been some ins and outs.

Let the BLNR go. Too recognisable for my liking. Prob sold it too cheap given the mad prices but was happy with a local simple deal. The Monaco gone also. Just too big for me....even though it wears smaller than you would think. Still far too thick IMO!

So what’s new.....

Well

Speedmaster professional. Sadly this is a miss for me. And I am an omega fan. It’s a solid watch no doubt but just not for me.

picture sharing

A Nomos Ahoi Atlantik courtesy of SC

Lovely watch. Very much my taste. The OEM strap is a poor IMO. It’s a circa 4 k watch and the strap is 30 quid.
    https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/stra...-strap-braided
    free image hosting sites

Next a very nice Stowa Marine Klassik 40mm manual wind. A lot of watch for the money.
    upload pictures on forum

I have also put my planet ocean back on rubber and deployant.

Group shot

Plans next year.

As little as possible purchasing! I want an ultra thin. There are a few JLC and A Lange catching my eye. Think I will go with the latter! Ultra thin Saxonia or an 1815 most likely.

Outgoing.
    Probably the speedmaster. Maybe a small chance the PO as my tastes are totally away from thicker dive watches (and the PO is small in the grand scheme but still).

Untouchables....the 5167, the VC and the skyfall and maybe the Stowa Antea....as this new arrival arrived also recently......a little earlier than expected and this was what I happened to have on.....will make a nice gift in a few year.....but I usually ain’t that sentimental over that kinda stuff so who knows.....

Lovely! Congratulations on the little one! For me that would probably make that a keeper.

I know what you mean about the Speedie I bought one loved it then meh it just never made it past the honeymoon phase. I traded mine against my first Panerai and never looked back.

Journeyman
    Great collection, especially like the orange bezel Planet Ocean.

And congrats on the little one.

Apprentice
    Awesome collection. Big congrats on your newest arrival - super cute

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    I know what you mean about the Speedie I bought one loved it then meh it just never made it past the honeymoon phase. I traded mine against my first Panerai and never looked back.

Yeah the speedy hasn’t even made it to the honeymoon phase sadly.

I am a little disappointed as it’s such a versatile watch. I had a reduced previously and was also meh.

Itch scratched I guess.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Soooooo there has been some changes! All the time at home allowed me some time to look at my collection and decide what I am aiming towards (or even what I like). My tastes have focused drastically in the last 24 months or so, to the point that they are very niche. While there are 1000 watches that I would “like” to try if I had the opportunity there really is only handful of brands, I have a genuine gra for (and a handful of watches from each brand at that). My tastes have firmly moved towards sub 40mm watches and sub 9mm thick. In general, simple three handers preferred on leather, rubber or Nato.

Having finally come to terms with what I like I moved the collection towards that. Life is too short to not be wearing your best watches, and I don’t mean that from a financial perspective but rather if you don’t love the watch then it is simply a blocker to watch you will love. I think a lot of people get too caught up in the “watch journey” instead of just buying what they actually like. End up trying to define which diver they need, which dress watch, which chrono etc.

Outs
    The Omega speedmaster professional, it had never struck a cord with me. The most overrated “meh” watch ever. I actually really like looking at pictures of speedmasters, I think they are a great watch but the way people fawn over them makes me yawn. I think the fawning is partly down to the fact they were fairly good value for the quality of the time piece, given the proce rises Omega are working hard to erase that USP.

The Omega Skyfall went. I think that was the first watch I bought on TZ, from “Coots” if I recall. A firm favourite in my collection for a long time, and absolutely untouchable. Gone now but easily replaced if needs be (not likely easily replaced at the price I sold it at though!). I miss it a lot less than I thought I would.

The Planet Ocean went also. This one hurt, the longest in my collection at around 8 or 9 years. I remember collecting it on a hotel, I was in Galway for the weekend celebrating a wedding anniversary. The seller was a little late so I has to leave mid-dinner (and ignore the pish taking from my wife about me bringing her to Galway to meet a man in a hotel to buy a watch)………to meet him in the lobby to view and ultimate strike the deal. This is one I miss and I am a little sorry I let it go, especially when I didn’t need to sell to buy or anything like that. But again, easily replaced if needs be. I have ended my great love affair with Omega (thought that new blue/white silver snoopy is drawing my attention!!!)

The Nomos Ahoi is also gone. Really liked this but it just wore a smidgen too big for my liking. There are not many Nomos that I don’t like.

Stowa Marine Classic-gone. Class watch IMO but ultimately the while dial and blued hands were too close to a look what I was looking to purchase.

Ins
    Soooooo what came in. I am trying to work on quality rather than quantity and not be buying to try so just the one major incoming as below. A Lange and Sohne 234.026. I almost went for its slightly cheaper brother the 235.026 (no up down indicator with sub seconds at 6 o clock). Glad I didn’t. This watch is stunning. Perfectly balanced dial, just the right amount of colour with the blued hands and smidge of red on the up down indicator. Beautifully simplistic yet very complicated.

Collection stands as below now
    Vacheron Overseas 1st generation Blue
    Patek 5167
    ALS 234.036
    Stowa Antea Crème.

They are a wonderful collection, albeit a little delicate. Next……...who knows.
    None of the above 4 will be moving any time soon (though I had considered turning the 5167 into a complicated Patek but in general I do tend to like 3 handers rather than complications so it doesn’t make sense to do so other than an attempt to satisfy a small amount of hubris to have a complicated Patek).

On the list of wants………..
    • A JLC ultra thin moon (Q1363540). That’s the white gold version with the grey face. Could be temped by the SS one at the right price but I do feel like I would be settling if I went SS.
    • A Patek 5296G-001 (the one with the sector dial)
    • ALS Saxonia, an automatic version as a preference perhaps with a moonphase.
    • A Nomos of some sort (world time midnight blue is amazing but at 11m thick is likely not on point for me). There are not a lot of Nomos I don’t like so a lot of flexibility here really.
    • AP 15450 as a maybe, this is a little smaller at 37mm that the real in demand version, so would like to see to try for size.
    • Still have a yearning for a blue Monaco, may have to scratch that one just for the sake of it.
    Last edited by 893bet; 26th October 2020 at 23:47.

Master
    That Lange and Sohne 234.026 looks stunning. It reminds me of the Nomos ludwig Neomatic? With the clean lines and blued hands.

Nice collection, you have certainly “ moved up a gear”

Steve

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    That Lange and Sohne 234.026 looks stunning. It reminds me of the Nomos ludwig Neomatic? With the clean lines and blued hands.

Nice collection, you have certainly “ moved up a gear”

Steve
    The ALS definitely shares some design features with Nomos. I am in general being drawing towards German designs!

I have moved “up a gear” perhaps but I do still see a lot of value and fun for myself to be had in the 1-2k range with the likes of Nomos. Purchase will definately be more considered though.