closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Possible changes to RMSD

Possible changes to RMSD

Just read on another forum that Royal Mail are considering making changes to the RMSD service.

Not confirmed, but the two changes being discussed are:

1) Dropping the 13:00 guarantee, so that it will just be "next day" rather than "guaranteed by 13:00" (it's not thought that the "guaranteed by 09:00" service will be affected)
    2) Dropping either Saturday deliveries or Monday deliveries, so that it will only be 5 days a week

Not certain whether these will actually happen, or whether there might also be any other changes (costs, insurance levels, permitted items, etc)

So in the face of Amazon adversity, they choose to slow their deliveries even further. Not going to end well.

Grand Master
    How is that comparing like for like?

How can I post a repaired watch back to the owner, with full insurance, via Amazon?

The RMSD service is excellent in my opinion, the only change I`d like to see is an increase in the insurance level of £2500 and I`d be happy to pay extra for that.

I get tired of hearing folks bashing Royal Mail without justification.

Master
    Blog Entries
    RMSD as always been a good service for me, in a ideal world it would be great to see the insurance upped to say 3k.

I won’t mind if the delivery states next day only, and as for Saturday, if you post early on Friday most times you get it Saturday without paying the Premium, in fact I took delivery yesterday and it was posted Friday 4.30 pm cannot grumble at that. On the whole RMSD is a great service.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

How can I post a repaired watch back to the owner, with full insurance, via Amazon?

The RMSD service is excellent in my opinion, the only change I`d like to see is an increase in the insurance level of £2500 and I`d be happy to pay extra for that.

Agreed. I too wish the insurance level would increase significantly, it would help us all out especially on SC

Amazon has a huge delivery service, how long before we see them collecting private mail and parcels and undercutting Royal Mail?

My postman's great, despite being a Spurs fan. When I have an RMSD parcel he brings it to me first, usually an hour or two before he would normally deliver the mail, because he knows I'll be waiting for it.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Blog Entries
    Amazon have already dropped their next day guarantee - they outsource all their deliveries.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Amazon have already dropped their next day guarantee - they outsource all their deliveries.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48058276
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    There’s new to me -
    I’d welcome the 1pm delivery time in favour of next day service- this causes some logistical problems on delivery having to reroute the whole walk to ensure all SD’s are delivered by 13:00

Not sure on the dropping of a delivery day (are you saying a full delivery service drop)
    This agin business wise would make massive savings- all postmen would work a 5 day week (as most do now) but RM would not need day off floaters.

For me it’s not the next day delivery that’s important but the reliability and security of the service.
    If no longer 1pm doesn’t really matter.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I sent a watch of for service on Friday vis RMSD which arrived Saturday.

Just saying, always been a good service and rarely use anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

I'm talking from a commercial standpoint, not every day customers.

RM have been saying they're taking big hits due to the drop in letter posting and parcel company competition, and now they choose to slacken their delivery times but no doubt won't be dropping the price to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Foxy's link is worth a read.

Same day delivery is extremely useful also, and that's what I often use.

I've not once had a Prime delivery not arrive same day or next day when it's stated it would be delivered then - you just need to choose the right sales listing which has the desired delivery option.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

I've not once had a Prime delivery not arrive same day or next day when it's stated it would be delivered then - you just need to choose the right sales listing which has the desired delivery option.
    Would they deliver it next day to Barra for 70p?

I don't blame RM, they are are under a lot of strain as it is thanks to online shopping.

Master
    Blog Entries

Be that as it may. Amazon have dropped their next day guarantee. Yes, mostly they arrive next day, but that's not the same as guaranteed next day.

Master
    I'm talking from a commercial standpoint, not every day customers.

RM have been saying they're taking big hits due to the drop in letter posting and parcel company competition, and now they choose to slacken their delivery times but no doubt won't be dropping the price to match.
    The big problem for RM is that their market is basically static and overcrowded with competition.

There are approximately 27million addresses in the UK and that is going to remain constant, so very little growth there because we are a little island.

Handling overnight parcels requires a massive sorting infrastructure that is capable oh handling a wide range of parcel sizes and weights which is horrifically expensive. The major problem is that competitors can chose to cherry pick. For instance a local van driver may decide only to operate within a 10 mile radius or within the M25. The RM is compelled by law to deliver say from a village in Cornwall to a remote cottage in Scotland at the same price as a local delivery. The last time I checked, there were 4000 independent couriers all fighting for a niche market.

Do not even think of buying shares in RM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I sent a watch of for service on Friday vis RMSD which arrived Saturday.

Just saying, always been a good service and rarely use anything else.
    Strangely enough, so did I, next day delivery by couriers is very hit and miss in my experience and getting a refund is nigh impossiblewhen it doesn’t work, and our postie would detour via my work if no one was home, a courierdo that? Never.

Grand Master
    I’ve posted things often on Friday using RMSD and despite not guaranteeing Saturday delivery the have always arrived next day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    our postie would detour via my work if no one was home, a courierdo that? Never.
    Should a postman do that? Genuine question.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    Should a postman do that? Genuine question.
    No. I believe it’s called being off route.If His boss checks His PDA it should show on the GPS that He is not in the area He should be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    No. I believe it’s called being off route.If His boss checks His PDA it should show on the GPS that He is not in the area He should be.
    I suppose it may not have been off his route as I worked reasonable close to home, he may have just done that when he was in the area later on in the morning.
    Do any couriers deliver to PO Boxes?