closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer II - being phased out?

Apprentice

Explorer II - being phased out?

All,

Has anyone else noticed the lack of Explorer 2s in AD windows these days? A year or two back everyone had one of each colour. I’m wondering if production has been reduced due to lack of interest?

Master
    They must be stopping making all stainless steel professional models as you never see any in the windows these days!

Quote Originally Posted by carpediemtech View Post
    All,

Has anyone else noticed the lack of Explorer 2s in AD windows these days? A year or two back everyone had one of each colour. I’m wondering if production has been reduced due to lack of interest?

All,

By this logic, I haven't seen a sub or SD in an AD window for a while, wonder if they're being phased out too ? 😉

Craftsman
    I think it's more due to the scarcity of other references in the Professional line resulting in a slightly higher demand for less sought after pieces.

You haven’t heard? Rolex is being bought by the Swatch Group and is phasing out those models so that Swatch won’t have those. It was announced at Basel.

Grand Master
    Rolex have produced the Explorer 11 for many years, why should they choose to discontinue it when Rolex demand is so high. OK, it isn’t a Sub or Daytona, but it has its fans. OP’s logic seems flawed to me.

There’s more chance of me flying to the moon than buying a new Rolex thesedays, but I can’t help noticing how bare the ADs windows have become. Looks completely wrong somehow. Even the stuff I like (Datejusts, bimetals, steel Oysters) seem thin on the ground.

Maybe they should show pictures instead?

Keep feeding it

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    You haven’t heard? Rolex is being bought by the Swatch Group and is phasing out those models so that Swatch won’t have those. It was announced at Basel.
    Good to know, thanks. Hopefully they’ll replace them with battery models and then we’ll all sleep better. Phew.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Rolex have produced the Explorer 11 for many years, why should they choose to discontinue it when Rolex demand is so high. OK, it isn’t a Sub or Daytona, but it has its fans. OP’s logic seems flawed to me.

There’s more chance of me flying to the moon than buying a new Rolex thesedays, but I can’t help noticing how bare the ADs windows have become. Looks completely wrong somehow. Even the stuff I like (Datejusts, bimetals, steel Oysters) seem thin on the ground.

Maybe they should show pictures instead?
    Thanks guys. I’m sure you’re right. Demand for professional models does seem to be sky high currently but Exp IIs don’t seem to be commanding premiums on the grey market like GMTs and Subs. I’m hanging on to mine as I love the fact that it isn’t as popular and ubiquitous.

Master
    Thanks guys. I’m sure you’re right. Demand for professional models does seem to be sky high currently but Exp IIs don’t seem to be commanding premiums on the grey market like GMTs and Subs. I’m hanging on to mine as I love the fact that it isn’t as popular and ubiquitous.
    But is demand for Rolex Spors models sky high? It’s as easy to produce a Sub in large numbers as s Datejust . Nobody suggests buying a Datejust is hard work. My theory is that they simply batch produce a number probably 20% or so under current demand to keep the Demand / Desire as high as possible within the enthusiast fanbase. Very clever on their part I’d say. If they really increased the volume of Subs and Daytona,s would we ultimately see buy backs, grey sales? Desire drop?
    The major sales for Rolex are the Datejust I’m guessing. I’d be interested to also find out the gender breakdown of those sales. From a WIS standpoint the Rolex Sports is King. From the actual manufacturer the actual money may well be in sales of Datejusts to women.

Grand Master
    Not all folks who qualify for WIS status crave a Rolex Sports model. I think part of the attraction is the fact that they're hard to get hold of.

By coincidence I`ll be seeing an old school mate tonight. He bought a 16610 Sub back in 1999 and at that time they were hard to get, with waiting times of around 6 months. Over the years the availability thing has varied and I`ve no idea why, but the current situation is probably worse than in the past.

God knows what goes on at Rolex, but surely the current situation with demand isn`t sustainable.

My old mate bought another Rolex as a retirement gift to himself, a yellow gold Day-Date. Can`t fault his good taste on that score.

Journeyman

I heard some AD ask prospective buyer to buy unpopular models in order to be placed on the waiting list for popular models...hence milgauss,air king and exp II are selling too

Grand Master
    Relative to other sports models the EXII has actually risen quite well in fact.The first one I bought less than 2 years ago I paid £2300!,watch and bracelet only mind and tritium,where are they now.This thread came on my radar simply because I have just this afternoon bought another,this time a full set 2002 no lug hole model,but that was not £2300,But still substantially lower than any other black dialled equivalent on here,or anywhere else.So although as you say not commanding premiums,this is only in comparison to other Rolex sports models,and that gap may stay constant,but rest assured they remain and always will be a sound investment if compared to money in the bank blah blah blah!,and you get to wear and enjoy your increasing asset.
    Remember too,the further out of reach your 14060's and the like become,then the EXII suddenly becomes the only closest option perhaps.....I had 2 5513's sold them!,wish now I hadn't,and that was only 2 years ago!.So up comes the wtb's for the next 5513,yes the good ol 14060,and now look where they are heading,yep into 5513 territory a few years back!.

A watch as an investment!,sacrilege!,Burn him at the stake!!.Nevertheless it will see you right in the end,or your kids/Grandkids.

Great watch,pick mine up Tuesday.........
    Last edited by P9CLY; 27th April 2019 at 18:43.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post

I heard some AD ask prospective buyer to buy unpopular models in order to be placed on the waiting list for popular models...hence milgauss,air king and exp II are selling too
    Not enen that ( if true) means anything.
    I went into an AD looking for a Sub 2 years ago and as there wasn't any, made the schoolboy error of 'trying on' a Blue Milgauss. Half an hour later I was £6k lighter.
    I went back to the exact same dealer a couple of months ago enquiring about a Sub and was as good chased out. The new manager didn't know me from Adam so hard luck for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Keep feeding it
    It is being fed.

Master
    I suspect it’s the younger trendier buyers deciding that Subs are too common snaffling all the stock.

Oh, did I mention I have a black dialled Explorer II?

On a sadder note, I suspect with the prices as they are going, I won’t be buying another Rolex any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Explorer II - being phased out?

The model’s 50th birthday is coming up in a couple of years, so they may do some kind of update.

Master
    I wouldn't mourn the loss of the ExII as it is probably my least favorite Rolex.
    Nevertheless I can't see them killing off the goose that keeps laying golden eggs. It will survive