closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vrolijke Koningsdag Allemaal

Vrolijke Koningsdag Allemaal

Happy King's Day to all our Dutch members! I hope it doesn't become too messy for you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that! Or better: dankjewel!

It's the King's b'day indeed. 51 I think. It's custom to celebrate his b'day as a bank holiday, but now being on a Saturday, we have to do without a 'spare' day. It's a tradition that he visits one or two towns on this day, complete with all his family members. In all other towns it's 'free market' or 'blanket market' with lots of people selling their junk. Originally only for kids to sell old toys, but nowadays everybody seems to want to get rid of their junk. On the other hand, 10 yrs ago I managed to scoop up a shabby Seiko 6105 for 5 euros...

Menno

Thanks Menno, that Seiko was a great find! I hope to time a visit one year so that I'm there for the big day. A friend was in Amsterdam some years back and he remembers nothing about it. (un)Fortunately for him his friends filmed him....

Blog Entries
    Yep, if there's ever a day to get wasted in Amsterdam, then King's Day is the day! Pro-tip: don't wait for the 27th to start partying, come early and start on the night of the 26th: King's Night. Big in all towns and cities with 'watering holes'. Originally named The Prince's Night before William became king. It changed names of course.

Pro-tip 2: stay until May 6th. May 4th is our Remembrance Day. A sober day (in more than one aspect...) with May 5th, Liberation Day being the re-run of the King's Night!

Menno

Thanks for posting! It's mainly folklore, but I went into town with friends for a few beers and live music, so I'm not complaining. Plus the kids made a few euros selling junk that I would have had to dispose of otherwise.

If huge masses of extravagantly dressed and very drunk people are your thing, do visit Amsterdam around this time of year. Or any time of the year really.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Thanks for that! Or better: dankjewel!

It's the King's b'day indeed. 51 I think. It's custom to celebrate his b'day as a bank holiday, but now being on a Saturday, we have to do without a 'spare' day. It's a tradition that he visits one or two towns on this day, complete with all his family members. In all other towns it's 'free market' or 'blanket market' with lots of people selling their junk. Originally only for kids to sell old toys, but nowadays everybody seems to want to get rid of their junk. On the other hand, 10 yrs ago I managed to scoop up a shabby Seiko 6105 for 5 euros...

Menno
    Very interesting to read. Are these blanket markets a bit like our car boot sales over here in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Yep, if there's ever a day to get wasted in Amsterdam, then King's Day is the day! Pro-tip: don't wait for the 27th to start partying, come early and start on the night of the 26th: King's Night. Big in all towns and cities with 'watering holes'. Originally named The Prince's Night before William became king. It changed names of course.

Pro-tip 2: stay until May 6th. May 4th is our Remembrance Day. A sober day (in more than one aspect...) with May 5th, Liberation Day being the re-run of the King's Night!

Menno
    Started 2pm Friday and still going

Everyone is allowed to sell any old stuff infront of their homes on this occasion

En vrolijke koningsdag gasten 👍... en nie teveel zuipen hey

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Very interesting to read. Are these blanket markets a bit like our car boot sales over here in the UK?

Master
    I had to look just to understand the title, nosey git me, hope you all had a great day and not too hungover when you sober up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomolwi View Post
    Everyone is allowed to sell any old stuff infront of their homes on this occasion

En vrolijke koningsdag gasten ... en nie teveel zuipen hey
    Interesting idea, we should do the same in the UK! Have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I had to look just to understand the title, nosey git me, hope you all had a great day and not too hungover when you sober up.
    Took a while but got there in the end

Weather wasn't the greatest this year - we had the worst day of the week for Koningsdag. But we still managed to get a BBQ going and more a great excuse to get friends together for a good time. In that regard, a result!