closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Superzoom Bridge Cameras

Superzoom Bridge Cameras

Haven't really kept up to date with camera developments so was surprised when someone came into work with a Nikon P900 which has an 83 x zoom, which takes it effectively to 2000mm. Having done a bit of reading I can see there are compromises, not least of which is the small sensor which underpins the whole thing. My question is, do these cameras offer anything over and above what can be achieved with a good SLR (I have a Canon 5D) and a more conventional 200mm lens by taking what you can at the distance and then simply cropping into the frame? I'm thinking of wildlife photography specifically here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Haven't really kept up to date with camera developments so was surprised when someone came into work with a Nikon P900 which has an 83 x zoom, which takes it effectively to 2000mm. Having done a bit of reading I can see there are compromises, not least of which is the small sensor which underpins the whole thing. My question is, do these cameras offer anything over and above what can be achieved with a good SLR (I have a Canon 5D) and a more conventional 200mm lens by taking what you can at the distance and then simply cropping into the frame? I'm thinking of wildlife photography specifically here.
    No doubt there will be some irate P900 owners ready to dispute my view but the P900 is a gimmicky camera and will not produce decent quality results. The laws of physics will show you that a small, cheap and lightweight fast superzoom with a ridiculously large range simply cannot be built, never mind deliver decent quality pictures.

You ask if these cameras offer anything ‘over and above’ a good DSLR and lens combination, in my opinion they do not offer anywhere close to ‘as good as’.
    Last edited by KavKav; 27th April 2019 at 07:52.

No, wonít be as good as a DSLR but itís for a different market and okay for what they are.
    A lot cheaper, simpler and smaller than buying into a DSLR system.

Banned
    The op word here is system. Any camera and even mobile phone now can take stunning images in a good light, it's when the conditions are not straightforward the flexibility of system ie lenses, flash guns, accessories etc counts. If you're looking for a travel weather sealed camera with long zoom and can't be bothered to lug extra weight, change lenses and fiddle with settings they are a good option IMO esp if you buy second hand and then sell it on after the trip.

A friend of mine sent me some photos using a superzoom bridge, the magnification was very impressive but the actual zoomed photo was pretty poor, it was of a plane at a great height, a tiny spec in the sky, zoomed in you could see the plane in some detail but as you would expect, the noise was terrible, as said above they have their place but image quality isn't the best, mind you, you would have to spend a lot to get the same magnification on a DSLR.
    The wife took this on a Lumix superzoom bridge and with some post editing its not bad at all.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I recently got a Sony RX10 (which goes to 220mm - which is 600mm at 35mm equivalence - at F4) and has a 1 inch sensor. It has a hotshoe for flash and accepts a stereo microphone if 4k video is your thing.

It is so capable in every circumstance that I haven't used my Nikon D750 since I got it.

While it doesn't have the (frankly gimicky) megazoom of the P900, the image stabilisation is so good that you can get very sharp images handheld at 600mm. The latest RX10 Mk iv allows 25fps with continuous phase detection autofocus, so ideal for wildlife or motorsport. And it's a lot lighter than carrying around a DSLR and a bag of lenses.

Just read up on the Sony RX10 and it says the maximum zoom is 200mm in 35mm terms....not 600mm. Am I misunderstanding something?

Just read up on the Sony RX10 and it says the maximum zoom is 200mm in 35mm terms....not 600mm. Am I misunderstanding something?
    Here you go...
    Tony

Website > Blog > Instagram > YouTube

(Moving some watches on very shortly, so feel free to get in touch )

That's true of the Mk i and Mk ii, but the Mk iii and Mk iv have the (extremely good) 600mm equivalent lens.

Sony are a bit strange in that they continue to sell the previous versions when a new one comes out. I believe that there are now 7 different variants of the RX100 compact available!

Many thanks for clearing that up both.

Been reading up a bit more on the Mk iv. Very tempted.
    Last edited by Jdh1; 27th April 2019 at 22:54.

...and now I've got one coming!

...and now I've got one coming!
    I sold a Mk III on here a while back... very capable cameras and Iím sure youíll be delighted with it.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
    What do u think about Huawei P30 Pro zoom?
    Interesting 1st post
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I sold a Mk III on here a while back... very capable cameras and Iím sure youíll be delighted with it.
    What did you replace it with?

What did you replace it with?
    I didnít - I have a full Sony 7 series kit plus a compact.
    Tony

Journeyman
    Better off taking a picture with something like a 50mp canon 5dsr at 200mm and cropping in

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk