closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Explorer 114270 advice needed!!

Rolex Explorer 114270 advice needed!!

Hi folks

I'm looking for an Explorer and have found one to look into.

While I'm ok with Subs, I've no idea how to assess an Explorer for condition including whether it's been polished / possible replica / Franken / parts replaced etc.

Any advice or links to decent articles greatly appreciated!!

Oh and if anyone wants to post a pic or two it'd be rude not to :)

Cheers

Master
    If you do a search on sales corner for 114270 you will see lots of members watches, sales price condition. Its a watch I fancy owning one day , as a double sub owner I would like to vary the collection sometime. During my research Ive not seen any comments on Franken watches as bezels are less likely to be damaged.

You will see reference to the early changes in hands from short to right size.

Good luck with your search

Steve

Master
    I presume you are looking for used. If not, I saw one in the window of Fraser Hart in Solihull yesterday.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I presume you are looking for used. If not, I saw one in the window of Fraser Hart in Solihull yesterday.

Shirley Knott a new 114270?!

Wouldn’t mind a NOS one at 2011 prices 😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Shirley Knott a new 114270?!
    If that’s the reference no. for the Explorer, not the Explorer 2, then yes, alongside an Air King.

If that’s the reference no. for the Explorer, not the Explorer 2, then yes, alongside an Air King.
    The 114270 is 36mm and was discontinued when the first 214270, 39mm Explorer was released. Therefore, it’s most unlikely that the OP would be able to find a new (or rather NOS) 114270 at an AD.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The 114270 is 36mm and was discontinued when the first 214270, 39mm Explorer was released. Therefore, it’s most unlikely that the OP would be able to find a new (or rather NOS) 114270 at an AD.
    Apologies, it was the 39mm in Fraser Hart. I’m not fully au fait with Rolex reference numbers.

I much prefer the 36mm version, shame it was discontinued.

Grand Master
    I think there was a case for keeping the 36mm in production alongside the 39, albeit with an improved bracelet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think there was a case for keeping the 36mm in production alongside the 39, albeit with an improved bracelet.
    Agreed, when I bought my 114270 I tried the 214270 and the difference was significant. The 39mm wears much larger. Fine for people with big wrists. I prefer the 36.

I’m firmly in the 36mm camp, still looking for any tips on assessing used examples....

Master
    Apologies, it was the 39mm in Fraser Hart. I’m not fully au fait with Rolex reference numbers.

I much prefer the 36mm version, shame it was discontinued.
    I prefer the 36mm too but friend’s son got the 39mm one recently and it’s nothing like as large as I thought it would be.

Sourcing a decent one seems to be a struggle for me at the min.. I think it's one of those watches that becomes a daily wearer rather than stuck in a safe. I've come across quite a few that have been polished to death by traders or refurbished to a poor standard.. Prices seem to be all over the place as well.. I can't find anything decent under 4k.. Shame they don't come up on here very often..