closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Volvo d4 engines

Master

Volvo d4 engines

I've been looking at a Volvo with the d4 engine there's a lot of complaints on the internet about egr valves going wrong at 1k a pop to replace and aparrantly on the later ones they have done away with them compleatly does anyone on here have first hand experience of them ?

Blog Entries
    Indeed, the D4 has EGR problems. Like so many other diesels from other manufacturers. The earlier D4s (2014 or so) had more problems than the later ones. Word has it that MY 2015 and later had a better, smoother EGR and that the software was updated. A trick is to run the car with higher RPMs before shifting.

Menno

My XC60 has a D4 in it. The other half uses it to work, about 12 miles there and back, daily and a few local nip out trips, the gym, the kids, the supermarket and stuff.
    Admittedly, probably not the recommended usage by her but I use it about every 3rd week to give it a motorway blow out for a half hour run to see a mate of mine.
    Mileage is coming up 15k in nearly 18 months from new and, touch wood, not a sniff of a problem.

Don't.

Son in law's 65 plate went twice in a year, luckily under warranty. He sold the car as soon as it was fixed the second time. He figured it was better to sell after 7 months ownership with depreciation rather than depreciation plus repair bill that was inevitable The later engines 190 ps is apparently much better.

Blog Entries
    Personally, I would opt for a 5 cyl or a petrol engine.

The D2 isn' all sunshine and roses as well... The D2's 1600cc engine (Citroen's 1.6 hdi...) combined with the auto'box AND the the car's weight proves serious trouble getting uphill in hot weather. We wasted an auto'box in Italy. Even without pulling a caravan...

Master
    Tifosotony is the 190 engine the one we're they have done away with the egr and now use adblue?

Relieved I went with the D5 in my XC60. Mind you the extra grunt you get seems to make it far less economical than the D4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    One of our cars is a V40 D4 R Design with 190bhp unit and 8 speed 'box. It's done around 17k miles now (mostly town work too) and it has been faultless. It's a great car.

(no Adblue)

Craftsman
    Any known issues with MY 16 D2 engines, specifically piston slap or bearings letting go?

I’ve a D2 V40 - have had it from new and it has 47k miles on it now. Always driven sympathetically - warmed up etc. A lot of motorway miles. Yet now and again, when accelerating lightly at around 2k rpm there’s a sudden change in the engine sound - not just speeding up, but an almighty harsh rattling sound from the engine - if you lift off or go full throttle, it settles back to a normal engine noise.

I’m going to have it in to the dealer before the warrenty runs out, to look at it, but wondered if they are known for this?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    There’s mentioning on the internet of a broken exhaust bolt on some cars