closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor in-house movement accuracy

Master

Tudor in-house movement accuracy

I thought a thread around the accuracy of the Tudor in-house movements would be useful. I was unsure how my BB58 was doing so used an app called ‘watchtracker’. Turns out it’s a corker. It is running at 1.6 spd fast. The watch runs at 0.1-0.3 seconds slow overnight and runs at 1.6-2.2 seconds fast during the day on the wrist.

Stu

My BB Chrono runs at about +2 per day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I timed my BB Bronze over a week at work and gained less than a second over the week. Very impressive.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My most accurate watch I ever owned was my North Flag it ran at better than +1 sec a week

Grand Master
    I know little about these apps, I question how accurate they really are. Can anyone elaborate? How do they actually work?

Master
    I used to work in test equipment calibration. Nothing is 100% accurate. The accuracy of the test equipment would always be quoted. This would then be added to the measurements made when taking readings.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I know little about these apps, I question how accurate they really are. Can anyone elaborate? How do they actually work?
    They simply measure the time of your watch against the time of the atomic clock. You specify the durations of measurement to get the outcome.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I used to work in test equipment calibration. Nothing is 100% accurate. The accuracy of the test equipment would always be quoted. This would then be added to the measurements made when taking readings.
    Sure, but without getting hooked up on semantics in your opinion how accurate are these things likely to be? I can understand the atomic clock bit, but I don`t understand how you start and stop the timing period; what are the errors likely to be?

I time everything against an analogue quartz watch that gains 1 sec/week, I can see what's going on and interpret it. I get suspicious when folks claim such phenomenally good timekeeping from their watches, in my experience it's unlikely. If these watches are checked against a quartz watch for a few days do the figures agree?

Master
    Blog Entries
    You hit a button at a certain time; so if your hand eye delay is questionable then the results will be too ... I think the apps/method it pretty robust. As good as any.

I time all my watches.

Recently my Smiths W10 did a 10 day stint at +0.1s/day ... not bad ...

I have just bought a BB58 so will report back in due course how that gets on ...

Grand Master
    So if a measurement is taken over a short time-frame the errors will multiply?

Checking a watch against a quartz analogue requires good hand-eye co-ordination, each reading is rounded up or down to the nearest half-second, and that's probably the best that can be achieved using an ap. Onbbiously the longer the exercise is continued the less significant the errors become.

Is the app continuously correcting the time against the atomic clock? If not it could give misleading results.

Craftsman
    i use the toolwatch app and when using the app you have to take two readings at least 12 hours apart and it then calculates the deviation between the two against the atomic clock. It is dependant on you pressing the 'go' button when the second hand hits 12 to begin each reading.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The results are fine, I have even tested some quartz and digitalis aganst the app. They are spot on.

Any protocol over a short time period is prone to error. I usually take one reading per day and test over a week. Very robust results.

Paul, I suggest you to download an app and give it a try. I understand that you had bad experience with a computer that did not synced with time servers, trust me, times have changed, phones and computers sync their clock automatically with atomic time servers several times a day and are very accurate.

I myself use Watchtracker app on iphone. It syncs with atomic time and even display how accurate phone clock is. I include some screenshots for you to see what information you can get.

Adding new data points is much easier than gazing at two watches simultaneously and trying to determine offset - just tap the screen when watch seconds hand reaches seconds displayed in app.

Last edited by Normunds; 26th April 2019 at 17:55.

My bb58 also keeps excellent time I believe it has a lot to do with the silicon hairspring

I am surprised you need to manually confirm the time with these apps, I wrongly assumed they used the camera and visualisation/ML to read and compare the time with no user intervention. Are there no apps that do this? Have I just given away my chance to make a motza

Master
    My 2013 Pelagos with the ETA movement gains a consistent plus 1.5 seconds a day. Not too shabby.

No apps, no fancy kit, just through wearing for the first 6 weeks, day and night, resulted in zero need for any adjustment to the time on my 58, as zero variation - astonishing timekeeping!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    My bb58 also keeps excellent time I believe it has a lot to do with the silicon hairspring
    Apart from the antimagnetic aspect, why would a silicon hairspring be superior? Unless you know something I don’t I find this unconvincing.

A good quality watch that’s in good condition should be capable of giving excellent precision, and this’ll be aided by leaving it in the same position ivernight rather than sleeping in it, but trying to get better than +2 secs/ day is largely down to luck unless you’re prepared to regulate it yourself.

Watches with a free- sprung balance have an advantage, but they’re far more difficult to regulate. Even with the correct special tools I don’t like doing them and I woukdn’t advice oeople to try doing it themselves.

At the start of the year I timed my Pelagos LHD over about 3 weeks and it averaged - 1.3 seconds per day.

I timed my BB58 over a 12 day period, with no variation indicated at the end of the period. However I know that over the 12 days it did vary by about +/-2 seconds at most, depending on how many hours worn during the day and how it was rested when not on the wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I am surprised you need to manually confirm the time with these apps, I wrongly assumed they used the camera and visualisation/ML to read and compare the time with no user intervention. Are there no apps that do this? Have I just given away my chance to make a motza
    Twixt does this. Take a photo of the watch and align the hands on screen and it will give you the time read out. Do the same again after a timing period. I use this and WatchTracker as mentioned below which I think is a better app

Master

Both the Black Bay and Pelagos I owned were in-house and very, very accurate. Within a couple of seconds of GMT over a week.

It begs the question “what are you really paying for” in IWC, Panerai, Rolex and even Omega nowadays. Is it history, design or simply brand?

Back in 2005, when I bought my first Rolex Sub-Date, accuracy and movement weren’t a consideration. Being able to find and buy was the attraction and then the “prize” of wearing a Rolex.

That has certainly changed for me. I see people wearing IWC, Rolex etc. and very few have any idea about the engineering mastery they have on their wrist.
    Last edited by watchmad; 27th April 2019 at 10:39.

Grand Master
    Sounds like the Tudor watches are performing well. How much of this is down the inherent quality of the movement and how much is due to the care put into regulating them carefully?

As always, a timegrapher would cast light on this. Good positional agreement, high amplitude, and consistency of rate as the amplitude falls are all parameters that show how good ( and healthy) the movement is. It woud be interesting to compare the figures with a Rolex movement or an Omega 8500. Obviously the watches would all need to be fairly new and in good health, but it could be an interesting comparison.

Anyone got any data to share?

Master
    Blog Entries
    After 5 days my new BB58 is running at -0.3s/day.

Happy with that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    After 5 days my new BB58 is running at -0.3s/day.

Happy with that.
    That’s superb. Mine is at 1.2 spd fast now over a working week and weekend.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    That’s superb. Mine is at 1.2 spd fast now over a working week and weekend.
    Really pleased with the 58, guy in the shop told me these are now on a 1 year wait ...

Journeyman
    this thread really makes me want a BB next!

Master
    How much does temperature and movement affect the speed/accuracy of a (quality)mechanical watch?

Really pleased with the 58, guy in the shop told me these are now on a 1 year wait ...
    I would not believe the guy in the shop, they are readily available if you phone around.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I would not believe the guy in the shop, they are readily available if you phone around.
    To be fair I knew he was hamming it up a bit, but they are not so easy to find on a bracelet. I waited 3 months.

I did contact one independent AD near me who wanted £500 deposit and suggested a 6 month wait.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Sounds like the Tudor watches are performing well. How much of this is down the inherent quality of the movement and how much is due to the care put into regulating them carefully?

As always, a timegrapher would cast light on this. Good positional agreement, high amplitude, and consistency of rate as the amplitude falls are all parameters that show how good ( and healthy) the movement is. It woud be interesting to compare the figures with a Rolex movement or an Omega 8500. Obviously the watches would all need to be fairly new and in good health, but it could be an interesting comparison.

Anyone got any data to share?
    I have been wearing my Omega AT 8500 movement for the past 3 days and it runs at 2 seconds slow per day.

Journeyman
    BB GMT was running at -0.5s/day which was good until the date wheel issue started......

Master
    Running at half a second a day off, or such, is only a part indicator of a movements quality and accuracy. For you to make that statement I assume it's consistent for you, the wearer, so it's definitely an indicator but a watch running at +2 mins might be just as good..... But need regulating. The key to quality and accuracy is consistency. If it's consistent it can be regulated and be Bob on accurate. Test the watch on a timegrapher, let's see the beat errors. Or just measure it's time keeping in different orientations (dial up, dial down, crown up, crown down is a good start). Then we could look at how timekeeping varies as the power reserve falls, and at different temperatures where the oil is thinner or thicker.

From new my 8500 equipped PO ran at +2.25 s/day which seemed good, and as I expected it slowly slackened and after 6 years at runs +1.25 s/day. But what's more important is the variation from one day to the next is less than +/- a quarter of a second.

I suspect the Tudor movement has the potential to be very good though, sounds like it is promising.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My BB58 has now been worn for 24 days at a rate of -0.18s/day. The rate per day is typically +- 1s/day ... Occasionally 2 but then the method isn't that accurate over short periods.

Journeyman
    I am on my second Black Bay Fifty Eight and both watches have been running very accurately with about 2 seconds per day deviation.
    The first one at about -1,7s per day and the current one at about +2.5s per day.

The only watches I have owned that have been more accurate than these Fifty Eights have all been modern Rolex watches.

Tudor IMO makes a really strong offering in terms of price and performance. Even more so with their new in-house movements with the accuracy and great power reserve.

Regards

Master
    So the goodness continues. My GMT is running at an average of -0.1 SPD after 16 days. Incredible really.

My Pelagos is running around plus 1.7 seconds per day, more than happy with that. I wonder how long these babies will run before requiring a service?

My Tissot 150th anniversary chronometre: 0.0 sec in all positions.

I had a Speedmaster reduced that ran +1 in approx 2 weeks.

They don't have a silicon hairspring.
    Many modern watches with the proper chronometer grade parts and careful tweaking, can achieve such precision these days.

Craftsman
    Bought my bb58 11 days ago and it is currently at +17 seconds so approx +1.5 per day. I have tried different rest times overnight and also letting the power drop but it seems always to gain the same second and a half in every 24 hours. Damned impressive watch for the price. It would be nice in some ways if it did have some positional variation so I could find an overnight rest position that would slow it down a bit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Bought my bb58 11 days ago and it is currently at +17 seconds so approx +1.5 per day. I have tried different rest times overnight and also letting the power drop but it seems always to gain the same second and a half in every 24 hours. Damned impressive watch for the price. It would be nice in some ways if it did have some positional variation so I could find an overnight rest position that would slow it down a bit.
    I was surprised and delighted when my missus said "£2,600, is that all?"

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    I was surprised and delighted when my missus said "£2,600, is that all?"
    Wish mine would say that!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    Wish mine would say that!

Hahaha I ended up ordering her a 1926 so maybe she new what she was doing.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

To be fair I knew he was hamming it up a bit, but they are not so easy to find on a bracelet. I waited 3 months.

I did contact one independent AD near me who wanted £500 deposit and suggested a 6 month wait.
    They’ve got one on leather strap in the AD around the corner from my work. Tried it on and was very tempted but don’t see the point in getting it on anything other than bracelet. You’re paying 220 more and I think to buy the bracelet separately is about £400.

P.s. he told me they should get one or two on bracelet in the coming weeks and said he’d give me a call. So as someone else mentioned, it’s worth shopping around. Now I just need to devise a cunning plan on how to not get murdered by the wife if he does call me.

Last edited by RAFF; 7th September 2019 at 13:25.

Other than the anti-magnetic properties of Silicon, my understanding is that there are other inherent advanages of the technology.
    The springs are not drawn like a wire spring, they are (I understnd) chemically etched into shape from wafers sliced from a single "crystal", which effectively means that the tolerance of profile and mechanical properties along its entire length is exceptionally tight, much better and more predictable than any wire could ever be.
    I also notice the interesting shape of the balance wheel on the Tudor movements, (which are described as being variable inertia), with 4 spokes from centre to rim, and an adjustment screw at the end of each one, and a corresponding thin section to the rim at that location. Perhaps this geometry allows for better and more predictable adjustment??
    D

Hahaha I ended up ordering her a 1926 so maybe she new what she was doing.

Master
    They’ve got one on leather strap in the AD around the corner from my work. Tried it on and was very tempted but don’t see the point in getting it on anything other than bracelet. You’re paying 220 more and I think to buy the bracelet separately is about £400.

P.s. he told me they should get one or two on bracelet in the coming weeks and said he’d give me a call. So as someone else mentioned, it’s worth shopping around. Now I just need to devise a cunning plan on how to not get murdered by the wife if he does call me.

The wearing down process has always worked for me but it can take longer then you may have.
    Good luck

The wearing down process has always worked for me but it can take longer then you may have.
    Good luck

I’ve done that one to death

She has my number right from the ‘gently introducing the subject’ phase.

Master
    I’ve done that one to death

She has my number right from the ‘gently introducing the subject’ phase.

I thought it was just me.
    I've been doing it for years with cars, motor bikes, mountain bikes and now watches.
    I usually assuage my guilt with with a few hundred quids worth of handbags so I may not be that cunning

Knocking a few quid off is a must. Could always say it was 300 but think she knows Tudor. The risk factor is high!

Master
    Knocking a few quid off is a must. Could always say it was 300 but think she knows Tudor. The risk factor is high!

I showed her the green Aquaracer thinking she'd say ugggghhhhh but she didn't.
    I thought mmmmmmmm maybe a used one.
    I wonder if wearing down has a proper term, it must have ?