closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where To Get A Suite Made - London

Craftsman

Where To Get A Suite Made - London

Any recommendations for where to get a tailor made suit made - jacket and two pairs of trousers.
    Looking for value for money rather than having a set budget, also would like a wool blend, summer suit.
    Ideally a retailer that can get it made and deliver in a couple of weeks.

Who have you been pleased with, who would you recommend please ?

A blue suit is the most versatile of accoutrements. More important than the suit itself, is the man who fits it for you. Once you find a good tailor, you must never give his name away - not even under the threat of bodily harm.
    Last edited by number2; 25th April 2019 at 21:47.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

DFS?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    DFS?

R
    Yes, I believe there is a sale on................

:-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    A blue suit is the most versatile of accoutrements. More important than the suit itself, is the man who fits it for you. Once you find a good tailor, you must never give his name away - not even under the threat of bodily harm.
    I suppose if you were made of chocolate you would lick yourself to death .....................

Craftsman
    Personally I would include a waistcoat and make it a traditional 3 piece suite :)

I believe bespoke tailoring involves taking your measurements and cutting the cloth to fit you exactly. This can be expensive.

There is also a tailored suit which uses a standard sized ‘block’ as a start and is then tailored to fit your requirements. I had this done in 2004 for a special occasion by Gieves and Hawkes. I was able to choose material, lining, pocket shapes, buttons, cuffs etc. Cost £600 and I got over 10 years of occasional wear out of the suit.

Journeyman
    i doubt that a tailored suit would be completed in 2 weeks though. You could try suit supply in London. Get one off the rack, and then the in store tailor will make alterations to make it fit really well. Often ready the same day, but at worst a week. Good quality cloth too.

Try either of these two, I have suit from both......

https://www.guardslondon.com/

https://d2k.co.uk/

Choose your material wisely and you should be very happy with the results for the price. It will take longer than 2 weeks though.

Another great alternative (a will be within 2 weeks) is the TW Lewin shop on Broad St (near Liverpool St Station), they have very good staff who can have their 'off-the-peg' suits very well adjusted by their in-house tailors to get a very good fit too. Quick and very reasonably priced.

Good luck.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the suggestions, if not 2 weeks is 4 weeks more realistic in the UK, patience can be learnt ;-)

I was expecting a Hong Kong / Thailand like turnaround.

Off the peg and adjusted is unlikely to fit given the dimensions of the recipient - 6'3" 110kg rugby player who has just split another pair of trousers.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, if not 2 weeks is 4 weeks more realistic in the UK, patience can be learnt ;-)

I was expecting a Hong Kong / Thailand like turnaround.

Off the peg and adjusted is unlikely to fit given the dimensions of the recipient - 6'3" 110kg rugby player who has just split another pair of trousers.
    call suit supply London.they do a service called custom made to measure. I think my suit took 4 weeks

Check out Copperfields on Moorgate. Excellent tailor, without Saville Row prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnersaurus View Post
    Check out Copperfields on Moorgate. Excellent tailor, without Saville Row prices.

I've used Copperfields for the last 15 years or so and the last couple of suits I've bought haven't been anywhere near as good as previous ones - linings tearing, seams dropping etc. The fit is still excellent for what is an off-the-shelf suit with a few tweaks but I haven't been as impressed recently.

The last, proper bespoke suit I had made was by Chris Kerr in Berwick St. You're still looking at £2k for a three piece but it is properly bespoke and would usually take 6 weeks or so, depending on how busy he is.

There are three levels of suit really, the off-the-peg ones like Copperfield, bespoke like Chris Kerr and there's a middle ground - usually called Made-to-Measure. These are cut from a standard block and adjusted to the customer rather than starting from scratch - a lot less labour intensive and thus a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    I suppose if you were made of chocolate you would lick yourself to death .....................

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Yes, I believe there is a sale on................

:-)
    Isn't there always??

I used to see adverts for tailors from abroad (Hong Kong, from
    memory) who would come over periodically to offer made to measure suits.

No idea how much made to measure is in this country or over there, but might be an excuse for a sneaky holiday.

It has been discussed several times before, just search for bespoke or tailor (made) + suit.

You can always pop in to suits supply in the Westfield (Shepherds Bush) to look at the fabrics to narrow your choices.
    Last edited by VDG; 27th April 2019 at 12:06.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you really must wear one maybe this will fit the bill? It's not a full suite of course.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    Personally I would include a waistcoat and make it a traditional 3 piece suite :)
    An ting.....

Master
    I heard good things about Mr Dyer.

http://www.threadneedlemantailors.co.uk