closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Free beer for Explorer II 42mm owner near Wiltshire

Free beer for Explorer II 42mm owner near Wiltshire

I’m on the hunt for one of these, but I’ve never tried one on and they’ve all vanished from ADs.

If an owner in or near Wiltshire would be generous enough to meet up and let me (very carefully) try theirs on, I’ll be delighted to buy them a beer or coffee.

Master
    In 2011ish I sold my GMT IIc to buy my Polar Exp II 42mm, and it's the best watch I've ever own.

I hated the showiness of the GMT II - I felt almost embarassed to wear it - the Explorer is so much cooler, sportier and casual and it is my every day watch for everything; never leaves my wrist (apart from about 1 week a month when I decide to wear my Speedy Pro).

The happiest watch-related thing I ever did was getting rid of everything and settling down with two really perfect (to me) watches.

The Polar Exp is a do-everything watch.

So, what I mean to add here is that whilst I dont live near you, I'd be amazed if you didnt love the watch going from where you are now (i.e aware of it, actively pursuing it)

Master
    Everything is subjective but I have seen many Polar Explorer11 42mm watches as well as the 40mm model. The 42mm wins hands down in photographs but once on the wrist the 40mm looks heck of a lot better.

I live in Wiltshire and have a 40mm 1655 Explorer11 which you are welcome to have a gawp at.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Everything is subjective but I have seen many Polar Explorer11 42mm watches as well as the 40mm model. The 42mm wins hands down in photographs but once on the wrist the 40mm looks heck of a lot better.

I live in Wiltshire and have a 40mm 1655 Explorer11 which you are welcome to have a gawp at.
    That’s really kind of you and I’m very grateful. My real concern about even going for 42mm is that I won’t find it big enough. I know that’s strange because a lot of people think Rolex went too large, but I’m about 6’7 and have pretty big hands.

It may be all in my head (because everything in the world is too small for me), but I’ve never tried on a 40mm that didn’t feel small. 42mm Speedmaster only just seemed to work. I just can’t imagine a 40mm that doesn’t disappear on me. I backed out of a Milgauss purchase because of that.

This would be the smallest mechanical watch I have, and I really hope the 42mm will work because I love the watch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    That’s really kind of you and I’m very grateful. My real concern about even going for 42mm is that I won’t find it big enough. I know that’s strange because a lot of people think Rolex went too large, but I’m about 6’7 and have pretty big hands.

It may be all in my head (because everything in the world is too small for me), but I’ve never tried on a 40mm that didn’t feel small (42mm Speedmaster only just seemed to work. Maybe because of the black bezel and black dial). I just can’t imagine a 40mm that doesn’t disappear on me.

This would be the smallest mechanical watch I have, and I really hope the 42mm will work because I love the watch.
    The 42mm does look bigger in every sense and the Polar seems to wear bigger than the black.

I can take your point about physical size, I am a mere 5ft7, so yes, what suits me may not suit you.

Good luck with the search.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The 42mm does look bigger in every sense and the Polar seems to wear bigger than the black.

I can take your point about physical size, I am a mere 5ft7, so yes, what suits me may not suit you.

Good luck with the search.
    Again, I really appreciate it.

Here’s a pic of me trying on a Speedmaster and a Milgauss. Maybe people will tell me the size issue is all in my imagination.

Sorry about the quality. I just can’t figure out how to get decent resolution images onto the TZ app.

IMG_4994.JPG
    IMG_4982.JPG
    Last edited by The_Perfect_Sandwich; 25th April 2019 at 15:36.

I understand what you say about having big wrists but I think it looks great to see a few links of the bracelet from the watch head, when the watch head just sits on top of the wrist and no links can be seen while looking directly down on top of the watch then it looks too big.

I think you need to also remember that the actual size stated is not really the important factor, it's how it wears, plenty of 40mm watches wear very big due to their design as do some larger watches look smaller.
    The Milgauss looks great on your wrist in my opinion and wears larger due to the plain polished bezel, but if you feel it looks too small then thats all that matters.

42mm polar ExpII will wear large due to the white dial and dominant handset, again I think it would look perfect on the bigger wrist..

I agree with you that the Milgauss looks to small but the speedy looks fine.
    I tried the 42mm when it first came out (and was offered £750 discount on their last 40mm model) but it felt too big to me.

I do however, at 5’9” feel somewhat dwarf like in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    Again, I really appreciate it.

Here’s a pic of me trying on a Speedmaster and a Milgauss. Maybe people will tell me the size issue is all in my imagination.

Sorry about the quality. I just can’t figure out how to get decent resolution images onto the TZ app.

IMG_4994.JPG
    IMG_4982.JPG
    The EXPII or a Deep Sea would likely suit you. I think the 42mm EXPII is the best Rolex case size/shape for me. With larger wrists a smaller watch just doesn't look right. I remember seeing a large builder (I'm over 6 foot and always between 16-18 stone but this guy was a tank) buying a TT DateJust and having 3-4 extra links put in, at his cost - it just looked very/too small to me - or t least too small for him.
    It's just a matter of time...