closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you pay retail for a DJ41?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    It's far too big imo. The 36mm is perfect for most wrists, especially with the fatter super case in 116234 ref. The DJ11 is even bigger :-0
    I thought the same until I tried one on. It fits very well and IMO (and others I have consulted) looks a lot better on my wrist than the original 36 mm version. I would certainly recommend that you give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    So what are the alternatives to the DJ41?, at that price point.. Grand Seiko?
    Alternatives being brand, quality, service, movement etc..
    Here's one - Who Needs a DJ?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Don’t know why, but omega just don’t do it for me. Each to their own

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Simply, no.

Not because I think I should be able to obtain one, rather I would never buy one.

The whole Rolex saga has soured it for me
    +1

Is this whole 'waiting list', 'you must have bought something from us previously before you can get on it', thing UK/EU specific with Rolex? I've just come back from Dubai and could have bought pretty much any current Rolex model if I'd a mind to. Bought a Longines in preference.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    +1

Is this whole 'waiting list', 'you must have bought something from us previously before you can get on it', thing UK/EU specific with Rolex? I've just come back from Dubai and could have bought pretty much any current Rolex model if I'd a mind to. Bought a Longines in preference.
    I live in Singapore and it’s certainly the same situation here as in the UK. No SS sports models in any ADs here, barring both Hour Glass and Cortina now having displays of “Not for Sale” hot Rolex models (but that’s a whole saga for another day...).

Can you elaborate on being able to buy any Rolex if you had a mind too? If that were true, I suspect there might be a lot of TZ member flight bookings imminent! That is unless every plane is already full of grey dealers running back and forth.

That IS beautiful. Far better than any Datejust, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Technically very advanced too, Raj (the blog post is worth a read).

Quote Originally Posted by londonjoe View Post
    I live in Singapore and it’s certainly the same situation here as in the UK. No SS sports models in any ADs here, barring both Hour Glass and Cortina now having displays of “Not for Sale” hot Rolex models (but that’s a whole saga for another day...).

Can you elaborate on being able to buy any Rolex if you had a mind too? If that were true, I suspect there might be a lot of TZ member flight bookings imminent! That is unless every plane is already full of grey dealers running back and forth.
    Didn'y say 'ANY' Rolex! I was looking at SS models of the usual DJ's, Subs, Milgauss, GMT's, Explorers, plus TT and Gold DJ's and YM's; all on display. Didn't see any Daytona's and don't remember seeing any SD's. Didn't ask prices as wasn't interested in buying, just window shopping.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

So it is. I looked at one before its actual release in an Omega boutique and was immediately smitten.
    Was good to visit the blog. That BP FF No rad on bracelet looks so yummy. That post was way back in Dec 2018. Too much to expect you to still have it:-)

So it is. I looked at one before its actual release in an Omega boutique and was immediately smitten.
    Was good to visit the blog. That BP FF No rad on bracelet looks so yummy. That post was way back in Dec 2018. Too much to expect you to still have it:-)
    Haha... that will never be going anywhere (and it's actually the Mil-Spec). Being on a bracelet (and also being slightly dressy) it's the perfect only watch.

I did take possession of a JLC Polaris yesterday so will be posting on the blog again at some point soon.

Master
    Thats the best alternative imo

might try blue dial

Haha... that will never be going anywhere (and it's actually the Mil-Spec). Being on a bracelet (and also being slightly dressy) it's the perfect only watch.

I did take possession of a JLC Polaris yesterday so will be posting on the blog again at some point soon.
    Look forward to it 👍

Master
    Pity that’s not what actual buyers seem to think. Which might be because it’s so obviously a copy of the DJ style, without the reputation and history. So, to me, a perfectly good watch without a lot of point, unless the price is seriously tempting.

Would you pay retail for a DJ41?

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Pity that’s not what actual buyers seem to think. Which might be because it’s so obviously a copy of the DJ style, without the reputation and history. So, to me, a perfectly good watch without a lot of point, unless the price is seriously tempting.
    I’d suggest that you do some swotting on the watch’s history and heritage before making inane comments.

Indeed - and the Globemaster name goes all the way back to the 50’s.

There are a few on here that like the sound of their own voice a little too much.

Craftsman
    I took a look at a few DJ41's recently, both the TT version and one had the chocolate dial, the other was a Wimbledon dial on a jubilee and fluted. Managed to get just over 10% off either watch, without much negotiation. I didn't go for either in the end. This was at an independent Rolex boutique, rather than WOS, Mappin Webb etc.. Goodluck, and hope this is helpful..

Master
    [QUOTE=learningtofly;5086369]I’d suggest that you do some swotting on the watch’s history and heritage before making inane comments.[/

I’m fully aware of the history of the Constellation, thank you, and read the Monochrome article when it came out...my point, inevitably compressed, was that it has lived in the shadow of the Rolex for many years and these days is nowhere near as successful as the DJ.
    I’ll leave it to others to decide if such an observation is ‘inane.’
    Incidentally, my first watch in 1966 was an Omega Seamaster DeVille, which I had for two decades. I’m fairly familiar with the brand, and it’s history.
    Last edited by paskinner; 28th April 2019 at 16:55.

[QUOTE=paskinner;5086505]
    I’d suggest that you do some swotting on the watch’s history and heritage before making inane comments.[/

I’m fully aware of the history of the Constellation, thank you, and read the Monochrome article when it came out...my point, inevitably compressed, was that it has lived in the shadow of the Rolex for many years and these days is nowhere near as successful as the DJ.
    I’ll leave it to others to decide if such an observation is ‘inane.’
    Incidentally, my first watch in 1966 was an Omega Seamaster DeVille, which I had for two decades. I’m fairly familiar with the brand, and it’s history.
    To quote your original comment:

'it’s so obviously a copy of the DJ style, without the reputation and history. So, to me, a perfectly good watch without a lot of point'

Master
    Having had both, I know which is still in my collection. I initially liked the globemaster, however it left my collection. I still have dj41 and dj36 and will indeed look at buying a new 36 when I am back later in the year.

It is a lovely watch, but one that ok the end do not quite hit all the marks for me.

Master
    Does the DJ41 have that ROLEXROLEXROLEX all around the rehaut? I've looked for a picture but can't find one that shows the angle.

Master
    Yes it does have the rehaut engraving, don’t notice it unless I look at it at an angle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Yes it does have the rehaut engraving, don’t notice it unless I look at it at an angle.
    Thanks. Let's hope it's not too obtrusive.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    Having had both, I know which is still in my collection. I initially liked the globemaster, however it left my collection. I still have dj41 and dj36 and will indeed look at buying a new 36 when I am back later in the year.

It is a lovely watch, but one that ok the end do not quite hit all the marks for me.
    Conversely, I'd had about a dozen DJ's of various ages and descriptions and I now have none of them; I do have a Globemaster, though.

Horses for courses, Simon.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Thanks. Let's hope it's not too obtrusive.
    Not even slightly - I just had to check mine and you need to be almost edge on to the glass to see it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ratty_uk2011 View Post
    Not even slightly - I just had to check mine and you need to be almost edge on to the glass to see it
    Great! I'm really hoping to get one this year. I read that they're getting more sought after as the usual SS suspects are becoming ever less visible. Let's hope the lists aren't too long...

Master
    Conversely, I'd had about a dozen DJ's of various ages and descriptions and I now have none of them; I do have a Globemaster, though.

Horses for courses, Simon.
    Tony, I totally agree with you, I have other watches that I love like my 39mm speedy reduced. So agree with you.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Wrong I'm afraid
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Not a good start.
    Wrong to no discount on any SS sports models or wrong to you’d be able to get a discounted datejust?

Maybe times have changed....

My AD won’t give me a discount on my black Daytona C or BLRO but going back a good few years I got 5% on my pretty standard SS 36mm datejust with white gold fluted bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dblalpine View Post
    Wrong to no discount on any SS sports models or wrong to you’d be able to get a discounted datejust?

Maybe times have changed....

My AD won’t give me a discount on my black Daytona C or BLRO but going back a good few years I got 5% on my pretty standard SS 36mm datejust with white gold fluted bezel.
    I meant you wouldn't get a discount on a SS DJ41. From what I can gather, they are in demand at the moment which is understandable.

Master
    6 months ago they had a few DJ41 steel, jubilee or oyster ex vat at Heathrow boutique

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    I thought the same until I tried one on. It fits very well and IMO (and others I have consulted) looks a lot better on my wrist than the original 36 mm version. I would certainly recommend that you give it a try.
    Same here regarding size, doesn’t wear that big IMO.
    Bought a TT and had to pay rrp, even though I was buying a TT for the missus at the same time. Although they didn’t charge for an extra bracelet link so perhaps that would count as a discount!
    I think the DJ, especially the DJ41, is much underrated by the sports watch fans.

Master
    I got one on Friday last week. Random phone call to WoS Oxford Street about something else, mentioned the rhodium DJ41 & he said "I've got one, do you want it?"
    It was a smooth bezel, which I wanted, on a Jubilee but he swapped it for an Oyster which I preferred. No discount but great fun, hurtling across London on a Friday night, trying to get there before it shut. I'm really pleased with it, though the dial takes some getting used to after a Moonwatch!
    I had to get an extra link fitted but that was no problem. I'm really pleased with it, it's become my daily wearer & joins a Moonwatch (icon & chronograph), a Seamaster 2254 (icon & diver ) & a CWC RN Diver (ditto) in the collection, leaving me with a set of watches for all occasions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Same here regarding size, doesn’t wear that big IMO.
    Bought a TT and had to pay rrp, even though I was buying a TT for the missus at the same time. Although they didn’t charge for an extra bracelet link so perhaps that would count as a discount!.
    Count yourself lucky; I just ordered a single extra link for the DayDate.....£530. And a months wait.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    I meant you wouldn't get a discount on a SS DJ41. From what I can gather, they are in demand at the moment which is understandable.
    Thanks. That’s useful to know, times have changed then!

Master
    Count yourself lucky; I just ordered a single extra link for the DayDate.....£530. And a months wait.
    I wonder if Rolex offer incontinence pads to their call-centre staff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    I wonder if Rolex offer incontinence pads to their call-centre staff.
    Thing is; what choice do you have? There aren’t any alternative suppliers so they can charge whatever they like. I mean, £75 for a single steel link on the DJ is harsh enough.

Master
    Thing is; what choice do you have? There aren’t any alternative suppliers so they can charge whatever they like. I mean, £75 for a single steel link on the DJ is harsh enough.
    Sorry, Peter, I'm not laughing at you, honestly! You're right, of course, you've got no choice at all. Although, if it had been a PM oyster bracelet then slipping in a sneaky SS link on the 12 o'clock side near the clasp might not have been a bad solution. But such prices really do put into stark relief just how 'generously' the big brands price their product.

The other option is going to watchfinder. They don't seem to sell their watches with the full bracelet and are always selling Rolex links online. Not sure I'd go that route but it's an option.

Master
    Good idea, but I can’t stand Watchfinder. I’l grit my teeth and pay. Serves me right for liking gold watches.

Can't stand them either. Would hurt me to buy a link from them which IMO is "stolen" from someone else.

Ffs that’s just ridiculous

Would you pay retail for a DJ41?

eBay lots for sale from £160 to £350
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 10th June 2019 at 18:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The other option is going to watchfinder. They don't seem to sell their watches with the full bracelet and are always selling Rolex links online. Not sure I'd go that route but it's an option.
    I got a link fitted to my SS DJ41 yesterday at the Rolex service centre, it cost me £62.40,with a buckshee green pouch thrown in. Half an hour later Watchfinder rang to say they had a used one for £30 - I'd forgotten that I'd been into the Lakeside branch on Sunday & asked their price!

Blog Entries
    It was a nice goodwill gesture I think, I was prepared to pay for the extra link.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    If you like the watch - and want to buy it, why would you not? However, if you are looking for an investment there are probably better ways to allocate your funds than Rolex and watches...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roanje View Post
    If you like the watch - and want to buy it, why would you not? However, if you are looking for an investment there are probably better ways to allocate your funds than Rolex and watches...
    This. It's nice that Rolex hold their value to an extent, and some increase, but if the investment properties are the only consideration then queuing up for the few steel sports models is the usual way.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Bought last week DJ 41 as a gift for my father and no discount available . So paid rrp but its worth it as dad is a happy man 👍

I've bought DJ and OP last week and no discount.
    DJ was bought from WOS Knightsbridge and the salesperson offered me Rolex baseball cap, WOS single leather watch travel case and a bottle of bubbly.
    Goldsmiths though didn't even offer me a drink.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Apprentice

No not too big

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnersaurus View Post
    Is it me or does the 41 look a bit large for a DJ? As a more dressy watch I think the 36 variant is the perfect size unless you have absolutely massive wrists.
    My wrists are only 7 inch and it fits perfectly proportionately. Any smaller and it would be too small in my opinion.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by km9 View Post
    I've bought DJ and OP last week and no discount.
    DJ was bought from WOS Knightsbridge and the salesperson offered me Rolex baseball cap, WOS single leather watch travel case and a bottle of bubbly.
    Goldsmiths though didn't even offer me a drink.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Poor form from goldsmiths, always felt unwelcome calling or going in there stores!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk