closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you pay retail for a DJ41?

Master

Would you pay retail for a DJ41?

Specifically the fluted bezel version, im having a hard time justifying but maybe thats just the way things are now

You won't have a choice but to pay retail and there is a waiting list on some of the colour schemes (Wimbledon dial and Blue dial)

Master
    I'm lusting after a Rhodium Grey DJ41, smooth bezel & Oyster bracelet. It never occurred to me that I'd get one under RRP, if anyone knows how it's done, I'm all ears (& a left wrist natch).

Master

Would you pay retail for a DJ41?

Good luck, the real problem is getting the exact model you want....you aren’t going to get a discount on these in-demand models.

Craftsman
    Nope, its not a model in any variation the lives up to the current price

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Nope, its not a model in any variation the lives up to the current price
    And this is because?

Craftsman
    I paid rrp for my blue dial, fluted bezel dj41 last summer...

A good guide is to look at the grey prices, which last time I checked, sat at a slight premium to rrp. Assuming this is still the case, I doubt you'll get a discount, whether from an ad or grey dealer.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If you can get one at retail, do it.

At the moment blue, black, rhodium and Wimbledon are selling over RRP because people have turned to the DJ41 as an alternative to unobtanium professional models. Theres a huge demand for them.

I asked in my local dealer last month, and was told no discounts for the DJ41.

Yes :)

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    At the moment blue, black, rhodium and Wimbledon are selling over RRP because people have turned to the DJ41 as an alternative to unobtanium professional models. Theres a huge demand for them.
    Out of interest, are people buying these over the Explorer, given that it isn't a million miles away looks-wise from at least the black DJ, or is that also hard to get hold of now?

Edit: I suppose if the date complication is important, that's a reason...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Out of interest, are people buying these over the Explorer, given that it isn't a million miles away looks-wise from at least the black DJ, or is that also hard to get hold of now?

Edit: I suppose if the date complication is important, that's a reason...
    I can't remember being asked in the last year for an explorer. But I get around 4 requests per day for DJ41.
    Your question makes me wonder if the Explorer is a watch loved by "enthusiasts" but largely ignored by mainstream buyers.

The blue dial DJ41 with white gold fluted bezel on Oyster bracelet is probably my next watch purchase - small discounts (i.e. a couple of hundred) are available as I have already asked. (this is from a UK rolex AD within the M25btw)
    Larger discounts are possible in overseas markets.

Master
    Last year, our very own Haywood was helping me decide on buying a fluted rhodium grey DJ41.

He could get me one new with a decent (hundreds) discount (as a grey) but still strongly advised me that the depreciation would be massive.

Being a somewhat mercurial individual, I decided not to buy in case I lost interest in it. It still catches my eye and is one of the nicest watches I have seen in a while.

Anyway, have things really changed that these are now waiting list / full RRP pieces?

Is it me or does the 41 look a bit large for a DJ? As a more dressy watch I think the 36 variant is the perfect size unless you have absolutely massive wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnersaurus View Post
    Is it me or does the 41 look a bit large for a DJ? As a more dressy watch I think the 36 variant is the perfect size unless you have absolutely massive wrists.
    It's far too big imo. The 36mm is perfect for most wrists, especially with the fatter super case in 116234 ref. The DJ11 is even bigger :-0

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnersaurus View Post
    I tend to agree, 36mm is by far the better size for me.

Master
    I can't remember being asked in the last year for an explorer. But I get around 4 requests per day for DJ41.
    Your question makes me wonder if the Explorer is a watch loved by "enthusiasts" but largely ignored by mainstream buyers.
    As that is the case, it could be the next "hot vintage" once production ceases.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    You won't have a choice but to pay retail and there is a waiting list on some of the colour schemes (Wimbledon dial and Blue dial)
    Correct, the Wimbledon dial is on a 12-16 week delivery. Just ordered one.

Every day is a school day. I know now what a "Wimbledon" dial is. They look very nice, especially on a jubilee.

Craftsman
    I use to see multiple Wimbledon models in AD windows before, sometimes 2 or 3 of them together! Times really have changed.

Before knowing that there is a few weeks wait I wouldn’t pay retail and expect discount

You're right. To the average man Rolex = Submariner, DateJust and Daytona. Most people with a Rolex would struggle to name 5 models.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You're right. To the average man Rolex = Submariner, DateJust and Daytona. Most people with a Rolex would struggle to name 5 models.
    To the average man, I’d be surprised if the submariner even made the list. I’m not too sure about the Daytona either.

Rolex = Datejust is possibly mist likely.

I would definitely pay RRP, it’s a great watch. I was lucky enough to pick one up secondhand so I didn’t have to.

Its not a 41mm watch though, it’s 39.5 iirc. I’m my opinion it wears small, just about ok on my 7.5 wrist.

Journeyman
    Sure, it’s a nice watch, any discount is likely to top out at 5% anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't the DJ41 readily available (or at least available to order) at the airports?

Chronext have a selection of these in various combinations available immediately. Several at a discount.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Isn't the DJ41 readily available (or at least available to order) at the airports?
    thats a question id love to know the answer too, i have some international travel coming up

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    thats a question id love to know the answer too, i have some international travel coming up
    Sadly you still need to declare VAT upon return as Rolex (and Tudor) have VAT free price at airport not discounted by an amount the same as VAT such as other brands. So legally you need to declare and pay VAT on return. Also they rarely have DJ41 in stock at airport but if you give enough lead time you can order one in but as I said you won't get the saving as you have to pay the VAT on return anyway

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    well even for me gbp at retail is a saving as the euro rrp is higher,

how does one go about ordering in at T5 for example just phone and speak to them and pay a deposit?

well even for me gbp at retail is a saving as the euro rrp is higher,

how does one go about ordering in at T5 for example just phone and speak to them and pay a deposit?
    Yep give them a buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Sadly you still need to declare VAT upon return as Rolex (and Tudor) have VAT free price at airport not discounted by an amount the same as VAT such as other brands. So legally you need to declare and pay VAT on return. Also they rarely have DJ41 in stock at airport but if you give enough lead time you can order one in but as I said you won't get the saving as you have to pay the VAT on return anyway

Is that definitely correct? I had no idea, if so.

Master
    yep

Its not what Rolex told me in Heathrow, I was told that it was a discount and it did not need declaring.

Maybe the assistant was mistake.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 26th April 2019 at 16:42.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Its not I what Rolex told in Heathrow, I was told the it was a discount and it did not need declaring.

Maybe the assistant was mistake.
    Hmmm... I’m not sure that I’m prepared to accept any kind or definitive answer on this without doing my own research!

Master
    if the discount is only available to someone flying out of the EU then that suggests its VAT no?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The answer depends on your destination surely? EU or beyond.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    The answer depends on your destination surely? EU or beyond.
    thats the point, there is no discount on rolex on eu departures afaik.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    thats the point, there is no discount on rolex on eu departures afaik.
    Agreed. I flew to the US a couple of weeks ago and bought a “tax free” OP36 white dial en route through T3.

Craftsman
    My understanding is if you're flying outside the EU the price is simply excluding the VAT. If flying within the EU any discount is discretionary, is a genuine discount and, usually, equivalent to the VAT element of the retail price. I stand to be corrected though.

Apprentice
    Nope, I wouldn't pay retail for a DJ of any sort, there should always be a discount available on these.

It's only SS sports models where you probably won't get any discount

Quote Originally Posted by Dblalpine View Post
    Nope, I wouldn't pay retail for a DJ of any sort, there should always be a discount available on these.

Wrong I'm afraid

The market has moved on from previously available discounts. And the datejust 41 is a very very elegant watch. I would not be surprised if there are waiting lists on them.

Fluted bezel on jubilee with a slate baton dial is classier than anything in the sports range imho.

On vat, I mentioned some time back something re people claiming vat back on watches by 'exporting' the watch. Only the watch never leaves these shores or is smuggled back in without paying vat. Most people were not concerned about this type of fraud.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post
    My understanding is if you're flying outside the EU the price is simply excluding the VAT. If flying within the EU any discount is discretionary, is a genuine discount and, usually, equivalent to the VAT element of the retail price. I stand to be corrected though.
    Rolex aren't doing that discount at heathrow for EU destination passengers

Banned
    Blog Entries

Not a good start.

On the DJ2 or the older DJ36 I would agree but the DJ41 is something else. Much bigger demand. I remember someone on here saying they got 7% last year but a year is a long time in Rolex these days.

Simply, no.

Not because I think I should be able to obtain one, rather I would never buy one.

The whole Rolex saga has soured it for me - I have had 30+ over the years but currently own none.

Not sure that will change.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    To me, a smooth bezel/Jubilee bracelet Rolex DJ41 (phew) is the best all-round watch you can buy for £5.5k. I mean, actually purchase, not just join another ‘list.’

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Simply, no.

Not because I think I should be able to obtain one, rather I would never buy one.

The whole Rolex saga has soured it for me - I have had 30+ over the years but currently own none.

Not sure that will change.
    Snap - I’m just delighted to have owned all the models I did when they were £2-3k, frankly got a bit bored with them - then they bloated the cases, stuck on shiny bezels, sent the prices through the roof, and created this whole silly waiting list game to make them seem ‘exclusive’. I’m just amazed more haven’t walked away, the whole thing seems very childish when you have no desire for the product any more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    So what are the alternatives to the DJ41?, at that price point.. Grand Seiko?
    Alternatives being brand, quality, service, movement etc..